Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Share Marvel Unlimited Recommendations

2»

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    mwhitt80 said:

@Hex how are you liking GR

I'm only two issues in, but I can see myself ripping through the whole 12 issue series quickly and wanting more. I'm not sold on Tradd Moore's artwork (yet), but the guy sure can draw a mean car, and his light trails and flames are awesome. Sure feel the hopelessness of poor Robbie Reyes' domestic situation in the first 2 issues.

I wonder if the SHIELD TV show will tie in a connection between Robbie Reyes and Kyle MacLachlan's Calvin Zabo character? The Ghost Rider comic has definitely made me more excited about the upcoming season of Agents of SHIELD.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    mwhitt80 said:

Well, "All New Ghost Rider" started off strong, but ended... not so strong.
    Not surprised it was cancelled. Felipe Smith's first story arc was great, but it felt like he was all out of ideas after the first 5 issues. There wasn't much new after the initial Mr. Hyde conflict and the second storyline was too similar to the first. I was happy to see the Johnny Blaze version of Ghost Rider show up, but there wasn't much reasoning for it and the connect between the two wasn't very well explained and/or explored. Then original GR stated "I'm keeping an eye on you" and disappeared. Boo... a wasted opportunity.

The first story arc piqued my interest for "All New" Ghost Rider. But by the end of the twelve issues, it only reaffirmed my initial gut reaction that we don't need an "All New" Ghost Rider, just a new series for the original.

I'm going to give it 5 out of 10.

As an aside note, it would be cool if Marvel included Robbie Reyes in their upcoming relaunch of Champions. Since they are going for that Legacy Team vibe (i.e. Teen Titans), it would at least be nice to have someone on the team that might have even a cursory connection to the original Champions line-up.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I agree that the first arc was much stronger than the second arc. I like the Reyes character and the little brother, and I wish Smith could have done a little more with them. But they also present a problem from my perspective, in that the little brother ties down Ghost Rider to one area. I think GR works better as the vagabond hero, travelling from town to town, helping those in need, as it allows for more variation in the types of stories that can be told, and also emphasizes the importance of the vehicle (be it motorcycle or car).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Hex said:

mwhitt80 said:

Well, "All New Ghost Rider" started off strong, but ended... not so strong.
    Not surprised it was cancelled. Felipe Smith's first story arc was great, but it felt like he was all out of ideas after the first 5 issues. There wasn't much new after the initial Mr. Hyde conflict and the second storyline was too similar to the first. I was happy to see the Johnny Blaze version of Ghost Rider show up, but there wasn't much reasoning for it and the connect between the two wasn't very well explained and/or explored. Then original GR stated "I'm keeping an eye on you" and disappeared. Boo... a wasted opportunity.

The first story arc piqued my interest for "All New" Ghost Rider. But by the end of the twelve issues, it only reaffirmed my initial gut reaction that we don't need an "All New" Ghost Rider, just a new series for the original.

I'm going to give it 5 out of 10.

As an aside note, it would be cool if Marvel included Robbie Reyes in their upcoming relaunch of Champions. Since they are going for that Legacy Team vibe (i.e. Teen Titans), it would at least be nice to have someone on the team that might have even a cursory connection to the original Champions line-up.
    To be fair, I think the art also took a nosedive after issue #5 when the breakout artist Tradd Moore left the book (he did the cover for #6, but that's it).
  • Options

To be fair, I think the art also took a nosedive after issue #5 when the breakout artist Tradd Moore left the book (he did the cover for #6, but that's it).

While I am partial to Tradd’s art, Smith is an excellent artist in his own right. He designed the characters, the car—everything in the book. He’s got a good reputation in the animation biz. But, yeah, his issues weren’t as dynamic as Tradd’s, though I will say that the first arc really played to Tradd’s strengths and his love for Dragonball Z, and that probably made a difference.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2016
    The way I viewed the series is that it is almost an homage to the 1990 GR series. I also agree that the series just dropped off after the first arc.

As for Johnny Blaze; he's like a hellfire magnet. Once someone else becomes Ghost Rider; he has to come running. Like a fly and poop. It's a worn out plot point used by writers of a new Ghost Rider; that's the best I can do for an explanation.
  • Options
    Speaking of the new Ghost Rider, I just read this from TV Guide (of all places)
    The new series, appropriately titled Ghost Rider, will be written by Felipe Smith (who will also be doing art for the covers), with interior art by Danilo Beyruth. Tradd Moore, who co-created this brand new take on the character with Smith, will provide a back-up story in the first issue. The title launches ongoing this November.
    Beyruth isn't bad. He's a Brazillian artist and illustrator working on the new Gwenpool title and has done a few other titles, but he's no Tradd Moore, in my opinion. Wonder why they don't just put Tradd and Felipe together again regularly?
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Beyruth isn't bad. He's a Brazillian artist and illustrator working on the new Gwenpool title and has done a few other titles, but he's no Tradd Moore, in my opinion. Wonder why they don't just put Tradd and Felipe together again regularly?

I haven’t talked with Tradd in a while, but my guess is he’s gearing up for a new creator-owned project now that Luther Strode has wrapped up. His pattern seems to be to do a few covers and small jobs for Marvel, then put out six issues of creator-owned work, rinse, and repeat.
  • Options

I haven’t talked with Tradd in a while, but my guess is he’s gearing up for a new creator-owned project now that Luther Strode has wrapped up. His pattern seems to be to do a few covers and small jobs for Marvel, then put out six issues of creator-owned work, rinse, and repeat.
    I'm guessing Marvel had SOME interest in bringing Tradd back to GR, but perhaps he wasn't interested in a lengthy Marvel commitment since he's only doing a back-up story in issue 1 (as far as we know).
  • Options

I'm guessing Marvel had SOME interest in bringing Tradd back to GR, but perhaps he wasn't interested in a lengthy Marvel commitment since he's only doing a back-up story in issue 1 (as far as we know).
    Like I said, he’s been getting steady cover work and such from Marvel, so Marvel certainly likes his stuff. But I know Tradd also likes doing the creator-owned work.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited August 2016
    Previous Recommendations
    Planet Hulk Incredible Hulk (1999-2008) #92 - 105
    Son of the Hulk #1-17

This week's recommendation is coming in early.

Wolverine (1982) 1-4
    This is the first four issue Wolverine miniseries. Wolverine returns to Japan to save his long lost love, and encounters a new enemy, the Hand.
    The story is pretty good, the fact that Wolvie isn't all powerful is great, but what makes this book awesome is Frank Miller drawing lots of ninjas. Miller was put on this earth to illustrate ninjas in funny books, and boy does Logan slice through them in this mini.
  • Options
    “Ninjas aren’t dangerous. They’re more afraid of you than you are of them...”
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I've been catching up on a lot of Jeff Lemire reading on MU lately.

His Moon Knight, especially once it gets into the second story arc, where the art is shared (and shared in a way that makes sense and adds to the storytelling) by Smallwood, Torres, Francavilla (yay!), and Stoke. It is a great looking book, and it moves fast-- which might have made me disappointed if I were reading these on paper for $4/pop, but a cinematic and breezy read is actually great for MU reading, I think.

And Old Man Logan with Sorrentino is similar. It really moves, I love the voice that Lemire has for this version of Logan, and Sorrentino is always amazing (though, at times, I think his page designs would be better on a page than on an iPad screen.

I'm also using MU to finally read the one Jonathan Hickman title I did not follow at Marvel the first time around- his Fantastic Four. Started with the Dark Reign mini-series with Sean Chen, which is a strong start (even if, at times, weighed down with some of the Dark Reign status quo, which was not Marvel's best look). I know that Hickman is a structuralist, but it is impressive to see elements that would pay off throughout his Avengers books and Secret War already getting set up that many year before in FF. Looking forward to the rest of his run on it.