Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1618 Talkback - Previews

If you say it three times it will appear - Previews, Previews, Previews! Time to go through the August catalog for items shipping to stores starting in October. (1:18:23)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks @pants. I'm sure many of us will crack open our DCBS order and begin listening soon :)
  • Options
    Good episode, guys. Certainly no shortage of stuff to order!

I just wanted to comment on the cover art of two characters purporting to be Adam Strange and Hawkman:

The white tights on Adam Strange? Not working. The helmet? Keep trying, guys. Total swing and a miss.

Hawkman remains a rudderless mess. His latest costume design is yet another in a long line of disappointing misfires. I'm not sure why his legs are caked with armor, yet he still remains shirtless. I know, I know...it's comics. But really, this character has become such a caricature, and I don't see that stopping anytime soon.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Adam Strange looks like a Voltron pilot
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

Adam Strange looks like a Voltron pilot

I'm not familiar with what Voltron pilots look like, but if that means "hilariously over-designed uniforms", then I agree with you.

It looks like a design doodled on top of an already existing design...what we call in the design biz "gilding the lily".

"Therefore, to be possess’d with double pomp,
    To guard a title that was rich before,
    To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
    To throw a perfume on the violet,
    To smooth the ice, or add another hue
    Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
    To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
    Is wasteful and ridiculous excess."

from Shakespeare's King John
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    The new Solo series isn't quite the wildcard that Chris thought it was on the podcast. Solo (along with other new series recipients, Slapstick and Foolkiller) has been appearing in Deadpool and Deadpool & The Mercs for Money since the end of Secret Wars. In fact nearly a third of Solo's total comic appearances have been in the last 12 months.

So those three series are Deadpool spin-offs rather than wild shots in the dark.

And Wolfcop is indeed a movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spd_v-d5-xs
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited August 2016
    I know you all didn't want to discuss the chachkies in the back of the catalog, but I would be remiss if I didn't address what's on page 569 for @Pants sake:

However, for the sake of all things holy, DO NOT click on this link to see the DCBS price.

Also, some Muppet tumblers for a more reasonable price ($7.49/each)

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited August 2016
    fredzilla said:

However, for the sake of all things holy, DO NOT click on this link to see the DCBS price.

Yikes-a-hootie!

I would think that's got to be the price for a case.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    fredzilla said:

I know you all didn't want to discuss the chachkies in the back of the catalog, but I would be remiss if I didn't address what's on page 569 for @Pants sake:

Also, some Muppet tumblers for a more reasonable price ($7.49/each)

You could probably hire the remaining Monkees to perform at your birthday party for less than that. :smile:
  • Options
    Apropos of @Pants pointing out (that is a euphemism) the deal on the Justice League 7-figure pack. I ran across this ad while doing a re-read of my Incredible Hulk issues (I believe this was in #302)

"...so affordably priced at $39.95..."

I am confounded at how I did not have this VHS in my home, as a kid. It was a steal.

Also wanted to tell @wildpigcomics that RASL was indeed completed. Either 14 or 15 issues total and I loved it. I got the oversized collections when they were published, and Jeff Smith's art, oversized, is lovely to look at. His precision is amazing. A completely different story from BONE, but just as enjoyable--more adult in its sensibility, but not without the adventure and drama from his magnum opus. (am I selling it too hard? No!) Highly recommended, especially if you enjoyed Smith's work on Bone or Shazam.
    sidebar: In one of Paul Pope's oversized magazines that he self-published years ago, iirc, Pope discusses how he and Smith and Terry Moore all discussed how their next projects--after THB, Bone, and Strangers in Paradise, respectively--would all be some type of classical sci-fi story; it was almost, but not quite, a pact these three creators made. From that discussion we got Jeff Smith's RASL, Paul Pope's BATTLING BOY, and Terry Moore's ECHO. Not a bad set of books. end sidebar

Thanks again, Geeks, for all the work you do in getting this podcast to our ears. It is much appreciated.

-chris
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for this ep! I still haven't done my order (maybe tomorrow) but I'm trying to pare down my DC order and not get 4 the bundles this time. I want to focus on the new Image stuff this time. (Lots of new stuff!) Of course, I'm only getting the main CW2 series from Marvel, then maybe Dr. Strange and a few other strong ones. I've pretty much avoided most of the back of the book recently, so thanks for looking at that for me. I might try some stuff back there this time...