Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

<i>The Tick</i> Now Streaming on Amazon

Anyone else watched it yet? I just finished the pilot episode and was quite happy with it. It’s not quite as funny as the cartoon (which is not quite as funny as the comic), but it's far better than the last live action series. The guy playing the Tick doesn’t look as good as Patrick Warburton in the role, but he nails the delivery of the dialogue, he carries off the clueless side of the Tick better than Warburton did, and his voice is reminiscent of the voice actor in the cartoon, so I’m fine with him. And I like this Arthur better than the last one. The music is pretty good, the pace is snappy, and there are several good laughs.

The Tick is like pizza for me, in that even bad Tick is fairly good, but good Tick is hard to beat. I hope this gets picked up, because this is pretty good Tick on the whole, and I'd like to see more of it.

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I watched it last night and appreciated it. I don't recall any specific moments where I actually laughed out loud (though I recall being amused) while watching it and honestly couldn't tell you anything really substantive about the episode aside from duo come together, something happened in Arthur's past, costumes, fight at an industrial site, and conspiracy!

I agree that the carton was better, but disagree on this series vs the Warburton series. This costume is better, but I thought that the Warburton Tick was funnier.

It's a pilot, so there was enough there for me to come back and hope that it can find its legs.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Fair enough. This pilot felt more like the comic to me, whereas the Warburton Tick felt more like the cartoon. As much as I love the cartoon, I prefer the comic.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Quick question, what was it on? I love the Tick
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    mwhitt80 said:

Quick question, what was it on? I love the Tick

It’s an Amazon Prime original.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Enjoyed it. To begin with it's quite different from previous incarnations, feeling like what it is, a version of the Tick made by a man who is now a very experienced TV show writer. And directed by an acclaimed cinematographer.

It also isn't very funny to begin with.

However in the last third, once The Tick answers Destiny, it starts to resemble The Tick as we might have known him before. But now he feels even weirder, because the world we've established is much more grounded. Even the other heroes we see aren't the weirdos from earlier outings.

From previous outings we have The Tick, Arthur, Arthur's sister Dot and The Terror (played by Jackie Earle Haley, and the only other character who seems to occupy the same realm of surrealism as The Tick. He's still the superannuated supervillain from other outings).

Overall, a good pilot, but it felt like Pfister's direction and the earlier darker mood were a misdirect and any subsequent series will be more comedic, if only due to there being more of The Tick in them.

Which is fine, as that's what I'd want.
  • Options
    I really liked the pilot.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Hold on! Is this new Tick or is Amazon steaming the live action Fox series.
    Which, by the way I LOVE!
    There's something about the live action series that is both surreal, naive, and ridiculous.
    If it is the Fox series, the episodes do get much better.
  • Options
    This is the pilot for a brand new show. I like the Fox series too, but I think I'll like this show better. Surreal, naive, and ridiculous are what the Tick is all about!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    My wife summed it up best: "They brought the cartoon to real life."

Albeit definitely darker. My prediction is Arthur really *is* off his meds and the Tick is a product of his imagination. He even said "I'm the hero you want to be."

We're in for the long haul. Also really enjoyed Jean Claude's pilot show. We'd watch both of those without hesitation..
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

My wife summed it up best: "They brought the cartoon to real life."

Albeit definitely darker. My prediction is Arthur really *is* off his meds and the Tick is a product of his imagination. He even said "I'm the hero you want to be."

We're in for the long haul. Also really enjoyed Jean Claude's pilot show. We'd watch both of those without hesitation..

I'm thinking they may play with the idea of “Is the Tick real or just a figment of Arthur’s imagination?” without ever telling us one way or another. I know that might end up being unsatisfactory for some viewers, but I think I'd like them to keep it ambiguous from start to finish.

Also, this pilot does not guarantee a series unless people let Amazon know they want it, so if you like it, make sure you comment on it.
  • Options

Also, this pilot does not guarantee a series unless people let Amazon know they want it, so if you like it, make sure you comment on it.

Done. There's a (relatively) short survey you can take for each of them. Haven't watched the Kevin Bacon one yet.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    the trailer for the Kevin Bacon one did absolutely nothing for me. I'm mildly interested in the Jean Claude one.
  • Options
    The Jean Claude one is actually quite good. I'm a fan of any creator willing to poke fun at themselves, and that's a lot of what JCVD is doing here. It also revealed I've seen a lot more of his movies than I'm willing to admit to on a public forum. :)

And, like The Tick, there's a semi-serious undercurrent running beneath it. About the only critique I had was everyone was difficult to hear...not so much that they were mumbling lines but whoever the audio technician was really needed to boost their voices.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I never watched any previous incarnations of the Tick and I thought this was just okay.
  • Options
    Amazon has picked up The Tick for a 2017 series. They picked up the Van Damme show too.
  • Options
    I thought this version of the Tick was terrible. There were a few seconds of brilliance, and a LOT of boring. I have loved the cartoon series, the comics, and especially the Warburton show...

I finally gave up during the 10 minute conversation between Arthur and his sister about whether or not he's taking his meds. We get it... he has issues. One sentence would have done the trick... I decided doing laundry was more engaging.

The actors were all fine, although I thought Serafinowicz was channeling the cartoon voice, to the point of distraction. That suit is still laughably bad, especially when compared to the Warburton suit from 15 years ago.

I wish it well, but I think Amazon may be misinterpreting a bazillion views with a bazillion happy views.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited September 2016
    Tonebone said:

I wish it well, but I think Amazon may be misinterpreting a bazillion views with a bazillion happy views.

Viewers who didn't fill in the extensive questionnaire don't matter. The Questionnaire is king in the world of Amazon Prime Pilots.

• Options
    Brack said:

Tonebone said:

Viewers who didn't fill in the extensive questionnaire don't matter. The Questionnaire is king in the world of Amazon Prime Pilots.

Yup. I filled mine out for both The Tick and Van Johnson, both of which I enjoyed immensely. I didn't fill one out for the Kevin Bacon one as I didn't watch it.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I did not vote, but I am glad to see them go into production.

The good thing is that we will probably get at least two seasons out of both shows.