Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1627 Talkback - Story Time with Uncle Sal

Uncle Sal fans, start Sal-ivating! You're in for over two hours of Chicago's favorite son gabbin' with the CGS guys about the changing face of Alex Ross Art, the insanity of exhibiting at SDCC and NYCC, the still-greater insanity of being a parent at Walt Disney World, and buckets of bonus brain-droppings besides! Mature Listeners Only!! (2:18:11)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    This is one I am going to listen to in the comfort at home so I can laugh and spit-take without disturbing my co-workers. This was probably recorded before the Cubs won the NL pennant. I would love to hear him talk about that.
  • About a half hour into it. @ShaneKelly ... I'm with you on this whole water bottle flipping thing. My 13 year old does it non-stop. It's this guy's fault, btw ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdUVtEeg9I4
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Water bottle flipping... My cousin (my parents have raised him most if his life) does that crap. My lovely wife finally broke and told him if he flips the bottle one more time in her presence she would kick "his bottle through the damn wall". We don't curse.
  • Haven't listened yet, but I know of the water bottle flipping thing from my son and his friends...and my question is, did we do nothing stupid that irritated our parents?

-chris
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Haven't listened yet, but I know of the water bottle flipping thing from my son and his friends...and my question is, did we do nothing stupid that irritated our parents?

-chris

In the grand scheme of stupid, its pretty innocuous.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Haven't listened yet, but I know of the water bottle flipping thing from my son and his friends...and my question is, did we do nothing stupid that irritated our parents?

-chris

The difference is we are the ones being irritated.

To rephrase your comment: didn't our parents tell us to knock off irritating stupid games.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    mwhitt80 said:

-chris

The difference is we are the ones being irritated.

To rephrase your comment: didn't our parents tell us to knock off irritating stupid games.
    Pssh! You think I was listening to them at that age?
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    Love the talk about the change in marketing strategy for Alex Ross art, but most of the other stuff is a little too "Bada-Bing, Bada-Boom" for my tastes. Sorry. I only lasted an hour.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I feel him on Disney. I took my last trip last year with kids. Next if I go will be with grandkids and I'll be the one in the cart.
  • If Sal can handle every major comic book convention, you'd think handling Disney World would be a cake walk.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    There's a difference if you're dealing with your own kids daily and then at Disney World vs. dealing with adults who act like kids at major conventions. / The water bottle thing is a bit "wha-the?!?" for me./ I liked the update on Sal's kids and his mom. / I haven't been to San Diego, but it also aggravates me when people say there's "no comics" there. It's obvious there are comics there from the information on the website. I think it's that same "pile on" mentality that Sal mentioned before. People hear a phrase and it sort of goes viral and people think they sound cool or intelligent when they say it. It similar to this one: "The best Fantastic Four movie is the Incredibles." Oh? Well, that's NOT a Fantastic Four movie, it's a movie inspired by the Fantastic Four. / Anyways, I guess I must like "bada-bing, bada-boom" stuff cuz I could listen to Uncle Sal for hours. He's even funnier in-person!
  • Sal has a seemingly endless arsenal of 40 year old cultural references at the ready at all times.
  • Sal and Murd — the new Odd Couple.
  • About a half hour into it. @ShaneKelly ... I'm with you on this whole water bottle flipping thing. My 13 year old does it non-stop. It's this guy's fault, btw ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdUVtEeg9I4

UGH!!!
  • hauberk said:

-chris

@ Chris, I am sure we did but still wow!

@hauberk, it is but... I think it is the sound it makes which gets to me. As I am getting older certain sound really bother me. This is top of the list right now. LOL.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

-chris

@ Chris, I am sure we did but still wow!

@hauberk, it is but... I think it is the sound it makes which gets to me. As I am getting older certain sound really bother me. This is top of the list right now. LOL.
    I've changed my perspective a bit. You see, I'm also a swim referee. Bottle flipping on a pool deck while trying to start races is a recipe for a false start.