Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1633 Talkback - Previews

Previews, Previews, Previews all the way! We go through the December catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in February. Includes a visit from our ol' buddy Dave Dwonch of Action Lab Entertainment! (1:28:31)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    @wildpigcomics, re: Paul Grist’s Kane and Jack Staff, both are fantastic. Grist has a quirky storytelling style unlike any other creator I've come across. It’s especially evident in Jack Staff, where each issue is kind of a series of short vignettes which all tie together and weave in and out of one another. But all you really need to know about Jack Staff is that one of the major storylines is a takeoff on the classic Captain America vs. Baron Blood story. In fact, all the characters of Jack Staff are—like those in Astro City—spins on iconic character types. Jack Staff himself is a Union Jack type, complete with an Invaders-esque background. But while it may sound somewhat derivative—again, like Busiek in Astro City—Grist makes the characters uniquely his own. Highly recommended.

As for Empowered, I've said it before on this forum, but I love it. It's in my top five (at least) superhero comics currently being produced.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited December 2016
    @Adam_Murdough, you pronounced "Sneyd" perfectly.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Was Tangled Web of Spiderman good?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Was Tangled Web of Spiderman good?

Yes! A couple of so-so stories, but a number of real gems in there. Six words: Darwyn Cooke and Paul Pope stories.
  • Options
    Fun Fact (re: Silver Age Eclipso): Those issues of Metal Men with Eclipso were plotted and drawn by Walt Simonson! Really fun stuff.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I seem to be in the minority for liking Doom Patrol #1 but I have to admit that by #3 things really start coming together. Still very, very weird though..which I like ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    So I'm going to order either the tangled web or the Larsen Omnibus what would you recommend?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

So I'm going to order either the tangled web or the Larsen Omnibus what would you recommend?

Definitely Tangled Web.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I will do.

I'm of the certain age that read the poop out of the original image guys Marvel stuff off the stands and thought it was the raddest thing ever. So I'll always have a fondness of Revenge of the Sinister Six etc..

But I love comics I've never read or seen, now it comes down to covers. Any opinions?
  • Options
    I like the concept of Dave Dwonch's book.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    A new Planetoid mini from Image. The first volume(trade offered on same page) was a really well done sci fi story that I can't praise enough.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2016
    That Cloak and Dagger: Lost and Found TPB may have something to do with the upcoming 'Cloak & Dagger' TV series on Disney's Freeform network. The trade comes out in late March, but I don't think the TV series is expected until late 2017.

Also, when the subject of Art & Franco's work on the Revolution one-shot from IDW was mentioned, I was reminded of a rumor that Art and Franco will also be the lead creators on a Harvey Comics revival of sorts going on at Joe Books publishing (Canada). Would love to see their version of Hot Stuff, Little Dot & Spooky

Thanks for another fun Previews episode guys and good to hear @Pants back on-air.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited December 2016
    Happy to hear the mighty @Adam_Murdough might be returning to C2E2 this year! We'll have to do dinner again, for sure.

And I too am looking forward to Steven Universe getting the ongoing treatment! Will pick it up in trade for sure.