Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

May 2017 Solicitations (March Previews) | What Looks Good?

Local comic shoppers, tighten up your pull-lists. Early birds, prepare to place your pre-orders here: DCBService.com. Online orders begin around March 4th.

+++++++++++++

Check out the following links:

+ 451 Media Group
+ Action Lab Entertainment
+ Aftershock Comics
+ American Gothic Press
+ American Mythology
+ Archie Comics
+ Blackbox Comics
+ Black Mask Studios
+ Bongo Comics
+ BOOM! Studios
+ Caliber Comics
+ Chapterhouse Comics
+ Coffin Comics
+ Darby Pop Publishing
+ Dark Circle Comics
+ Dark Horse Comics
+ DC Comics
+ Devils Due/1First Comics
+ Dynamite Entertainment
+ IDW Publishing
+ Image Comics
+ Lion Forge Comics
+ Marvel Comics
+ ONI Press
+ Rothic Comics
+ Space Goat Publishing
+ Titan Comics
+ Valiant Comics
+ Vault Comics
+ Zenescope Entertainment

++++++++

I find most of these solicits from any of the following sites: FirstComicsNews.com, BleedingCool.com, ComicBookResources.com, ComicList.com, Comic Cavalcade (comcav.net), ConstantCollectible.com, ComicsContinuum.com, Newsarama.com

If you know of any publishers that I've been left out who have solicits for May on the web, please add that in a reply comment to this thread. There is a Free PDF version of Previews available online here.

So what's going into your shopping cart? Or on your pull-list? You may want to wait until you can go through the official catalogue with @Adam_Murdough, @Pants, @ShaneKelly, and @wildpigcomics as they post their next Previews podcast episode (likely within the next two weeks), before you decide to finalize your order.

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    In trades:

The Thor Omnibus vol 3 fills a big void in my Thor collected edition run.

Epic SpiderMan Kraven's Last Hunt - once again Marvel dances around the Spider Man Gang War storyline in Spiderman trades.

Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes - this picks up right where the archive editions left off. Material that has never been collected before.

Legion of Super Heroes Omnibus - Starting from the beginning of the Legion in the Silver Age. This book is a maybe for me. I have the material already. I think that a book or two that I have already ordered will be cancelled in the next couple of weeks. If so, I will steer that money towards this. With a DCBS discount, $37.50 should be the price.

Sandman Mystery Theater vol 3

Injustice Gods Among Us Y5 vol 3
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    DC releasing all 4 issues of the Titans Lazarus Contract mini event in a single month makes me want to skip it just on principal.

My math may be off, but if you order all the Marvel Secret Empire issues + tie ins, your bill is around $55 (without discount) begging me to wait this out and get the trades of whatever is actually good out of this.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited February 2017
    Browsing through the PDF version of the newest Previews (available here, I saw a few items that stood out on my first pass through it:

+ Star Trek: TNG: Mirror Broken #1 (pg165)
    I ordered the FCBD #0 of this and I am a big fan of the original story this is from, so I'm interested.
    + Jack Kirby's FF Artist Edition HC (pg176) not in the budget, but in my heart
    + Saucer State #1 (pg181)
    + Saga #43 (pg 210) only .25 cents!
    + Image 25th Anniversary Blind Box (pg247) not in the budget either, but potentially very cool
    + Pestilence #1 Aftershock (p266)
    + Adam Wreck #1 (pg272) from Alterna Comics. Printed on classic newsprint and cover price is half the normal for full-color and 40 pages. I want to support this publisher.
    + Casper #1 (pg278) both American Mythology and Joe Books are publishing new Harvey material. If it's got Hot Stuff, I'm in for a sample.
    + Swordquest #0 (pg330) - yes, it's based on the failed Atari game, but this issue is only .25 cents!
    + Harvey Hits #1 (pg376) the Joe Books Harvey title from Franco And Art Baltazar...IN!
    + Damned #1 (pg388) from Oni Press written by Cullen Bunn with art by Brian Hurtt. Sounds intriguing and it's only $1 for the first issue.
    + Guardians of the Galaxy: Mother Entropy #1-5 (pgM76-M77) from Starlin & Davis - I am assuming Marvel doesn't have much confidence in this or they wouldn't be soliciting all 5 issues at once, but I am a sucker for Alan Davis with Jim Starlin.

• Options
    A few standouts for me beyond my usual haul:

The Black Sinister HC — this is a maybe
    Lead Poisoning: The Pencil Art of Geof Darrow HC
    BUG!: THE ADVENTURES OF FORAGER #1 (of 6)
    Drawing and Life Lessons from Master Cartoonists HC

Also, the first volume of Ether is collected this month. I buy it monthly, but if you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it. Likewise the second HC collection of Dept. H.
  • Options
    I agree, Lead Poisoning looks tempting. I'd love to flip through that book.
  • Options
    This is from Comics Alliance
    In recent months, Marvel has taken to quietly letting cancelled series end, rather than announce it ahead of time with a “Final Issue” solicitation. With that in mind, it’s worth paying attention to what isn’t in the solicitations, and this month there are quite a few titles without new issues. Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat, Black Panther: World of Wakanda, Great Lakes Avengers, Silk, Silver Surfer, Thunderbolts, Gamora, and Deadpool and the Mercs For Money are all without new installments in May, and of those at least Hellcat and Silk are confirmed to be ending. While Robbie Reyes will cameo in the surviving Unbelievable Gwenpool, it looks like Ghost Rider might be finished too.
    I suspect that Dan Slott and Mike Allred's Silver Surfer is probably just not being solicited because it is running late (again), but I couldn't say with any certitude.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Sandman Mystery Theater vol 3

Yup, I'm hooked on these.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2017

I suspect that Dan Slott and Mike Allred's Silver Surfer is probably just not being solicited because it is running late (again), but I couldn't say with any certitude.

Mike is drawing a six-issue Forager series for DC’s Young Animal line that his brother is writing, because he’s a Kirby fanatic and couldn't let the opportunity pass by. I'm pretty sure that’s why Silver Surfer has gone through its delays—or at least part of the reason why.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Darkhorse
    Usagi Yojimbo Saga Legends

DC
    DK3 #9 the finale
    Young Animals' new book about Bug the Forager

That's about all my highlights

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The Order as it Stands: March 2017

DC Goodness
    Wonder Woman By George Perez TP Vol 02
    Wonder Woman By George Perez TP Vol 01
    Wonder Woman Annual #1
    Supergirl #9
    Superboy And The Legion of Superheroes HC Vol 01 - Because holy crap I have to!
    Justice League vs Suicide Squad HC (Rebirth) - Read the first issue of this and loved it...even if it *is* an event book, I want in!
    DC Super Hero Girls TP Vol 03 Summer Olympus
    DC Comics Bombshells TP Vol 04 Queens

Manga Madness
    Nisekoi False Love GN Vol 21
    Nichijou GN Vol 08
    Holy Corpse Rising GN Vol 03
    Delicious In Dungeon GN Vol 01 - This has potential. Helpless party lost in dungeon gets their asses handed to them so they decide to fight their way out by *eating* all the monsters they encounter.

Holy Crap! Al Willingly Bought a Marvel Book!
    Star Wars Doctor Aphra TP Vol 01 - Because she's the best kept secret in the MSWU

Indie Goodies
    Vampirella #3 Cvr D Broxton Exc Subscription Cvr - Because for everyone who got their knickers in a twist about this cover...
    Motor Girl TP Vol 01
    Josie & The Pussycats #7

Toys and Stuff
    Star Trek Facepalm Black T/S - Wife wanted it
    Rock Candy Guardians of The Galaxy Vol2 Mantis Vinyl Fig
    Rock Candy Guardians of The Galaxy Vol2 Gamora Vinyl Fig
    Pop Marvel Gwenpool Vinyl Fig - Because god help me I actually like Gwenpool...

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited March 2017
    Let's see.
    Darkhorse
    Usagi Yojimbo Saga Legends
    Shaolin Cowboy Stop the Reign #2 - if history is anything you will be hard pressed to find better art in any comic in this previews.

DC
    Bane Conquest - I'm intrigued to see how this goes. Bane has always had potential to be an awesome big bad and I enjoyed him in Batman Europa.
    DK3 #9
    Young Animals Bundle - Bug the Forager returns
    DC Kids Bundle
    I'm on the fence about the Superboy and the Legion Omnibus.

Marvel keeps slipping especially since there is no ghost Rider
    Gwenpool #15 - to fill that blazing skull shaped void in my order.
    Hulk #6
    Totally Awesome Hulk #19

The best of the back
    Space Rider galaxy of Brutality #2
    KDoT #243
    Delicious Dungeon - @Torchsong 's description sounds fantastic. Toriko meets D&D.

• Options
    Anyone trying to order that Image Blind Box?