Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2 - Spoiler Discussion Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    Matt, I agree that it's primarily one side responsible for companies taking this zero tolerance policy. (The New Left imo.) I'm not arguing for people bring treated differently. I am arguing that Roseanne and Gunn (and I'm indifferent to both of them as artists) be treated differently because they are different.

All of these corporate actions are taken because of how an individual is perceived and of potential financial cost to the company as a result of perception. Roseanne (rightly or wrongly) is perceived by a very vocal segment of the public as a racist. (I think this is primarily bc she supports trump, which is unfair, but that's neither here nor there.) t's not just that her tweets were offensive to some it's that a very vocal segment of the audience believes she is actually a
    bad person (I.e. Racist).

Gunn on the other hand was tweeting jokes about pedophilia, but I have yet to hear or read anyone who believes he is actually a pedophile/rapist. Nobody believes he's actually a bad person even if his tweets offended them. If anyone does believe that, then they certainly do not constitute the very vocal minority/majority(?) that believes Roseanne actually is a racist (and I've repeatedly heard and read people calling her that.) Roseanne may not have known that woman she insulted was black, but since she was, it's easier for certain Leftists to conclude "Oh she's a racist!"

Roseanne was fired bc certain people believe she is a bad person, Gunn was fired bc his jokes are offensive to some. I want to live in a society where obvious shock humor is not a fireable offense. If people legitimately believe the person making the joke is a bad person, then I'm more willng to understand the firing. The ongoing problem IMO is that extremists on the Left want to wipe out any and all language that simply offends anyone who isn't a white male and - as you noted - they continue to broaden the definition of what racism is and slap the label on things that only might be racist or simply makes someone feel even slightly iffy about discussing.