Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rich Buckler Has Died

2»

Comments

• Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    edited May 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

@phansford welcome back man. You've been missed.

HaHa... thanks.... not much for me to post about since I'm not reading comics much these days. Although I did just get the Walking Dead Compendium #1 from a friend. And I am currently doing some design work for a LCS here in Dayton that is expanding. More technical work - opening walls/code compliance stuff.

That’s true, but there was the Art Students League, and tons of comic book and comic strip artists studied there (or at least went to live model sessions held there at night) to improve their skills, since the majority of them lived in New York City. And a lot of comic artists came out of the High School of Art & Design and the Cartoonists and Illustrators School (later renamed School for the Visual Arts), where they received vastly better training than the average high school student.

Very true.... and it seems many of the artists were from NYC back in the day.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    To circle this back to Bucker, here’s the first time Buckler and Wood collaborated, the cover to All-Star Comics #63, penciled by Buckler and inked by Wood.

• Options
    Here’s a page from their best collaboration, “Snow”, a 7-page story that ran in Creepy #75. Again, pencils by Buckler, inks by Wood.

• Options

If you have a photo off to the side of your drawing board to look at while you draw, it's reference. When you put a photo you cut out of a magazine on your Art-o-Graph projector or light box and trace it off, then ink it, that reference becomes swipe. Al Williamson took a lot of photos of himself and friends to use as reference, but he also swiped heavily. But he would trace the photos fairly loosely so that when he inked he could integrate the swipes into the rest of the art more organically. Wally Wood did the same thing, particularly in the latter part of his career.

Actually, as an artist, I would not consider tracing my own photos as "swipes". If those photos are posed, composed, lighted and taken with the intent of using in my composition, they are part of my process and creativity.

I would consider a "swipe" anything copied or traced from another artist or photographer. You can't steal from yourself.
  • Options
    Tonebone said:

If you have a photo off to the side of your drawing board to look at while you draw, it's reference. When you put a photo you cut out of a magazine on your Art-o-Graph projector or light box and trace it off, then ink it, that reference becomes swipe. Al Williamson took a lot of photos of himself and friends to use as reference, but he also swiped heavily. But he would trace the photos fairly loosely so that when he inked he could integrate the swipes into the rest of the art more organically. Wally Wood did the same thing, particularly in the latter part of his career.

Actually, as an artist, I would not consider tracing my own photos as "swipes". If those photos are posed, composed, lighted and taken with the intent of using in my composition, they are part of my process and creativity.

I would consider a "swipe" anything copied or traced from another artist or photographer. You can't steal from yourself.
    Right, that’s why I specified “a photo cut out of a magazine,” which Williamson also used along with photos he took himself. Williamson had a couple of filing cabinets filled with tear sheets from various magazines.