Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2017 Reading Thread - THE ULTIMATE EDITION - June

God Loves a Challenge. My refrigerator exploded, flooding a good portion of my home. No comics were harmed. I know that's important to you guys. :D This will impact my comic buying for a year or so to come, I know, but not my reading! In fact, I'm hoping to get MORE of it done than ever before!

Rules are simple: Log everything you've read this year. Just edit your existing post or you (and we) will get confused trying to keep up. Bold the stuff you really dig. At the end of each month I'll start a new thread and you can pick a "winner" from your favorite books. You can focus on just trades (which is usually what I do), or just write about the good stuff you've read, or go completely nuts (like I plan to this year) and log EVERYTHING you read.

January Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3887/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-january#latest
February Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3899/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-february#latest
March Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3915/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-march#latest
April Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3933/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-april#latest
May Lists: http://thecomicforums.vanillaforums.com/discussion/3948/the-2017-reading-thread-the-ultimate-edition-may#latest

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited June 2017
    January Winner: Sensational She-Hulk: The Return (Marvel)
    February Winner: Vampirella Masters Vol. 1: Morrison & Millar (TPB)(Dynamite)
    March Winner: Holy Corpse Rising Vol. 2 (Seven Seas) (Manga)
    April Winner: Supergirl Vol. 2 (Peter David Run) (DC)
    May Winner: Motor Girl Vol. 1 (Abrstract)

June Books:
    The Big O Vols. 1 - 6 (Viz) (Manga)
    Star Wars: Skywalker Strikes Vol. 1 (Marvel) (TPB)
    Gamer Girl and Vixen: Vol. 1 (TPB) (Crowdsourced)
    Lazarus Vol. 5 (Image) (TPB)
    Suicide Squad Vol. 8: The Phoenix Gambit (DC) (TPB)
    Nichijou Vol. 8 (Manga) (Vertical)

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited June 2017
    January Winner: Ether #2-3
    February Winner: Dept. H #1-11
    March Winner: Royal City #1
    April Winner: Royal City #2
    May Winner: Paper Girls #6-14

June Books:
    Archie #21
    Betty & Veronica #3
    Bug! The Adventures of Forager #2
    Dr. Strange: The Last Days of Magic #1
    Dr. Strange #7-21
    Moon Knight #11-14
    Paper Girls #15
    Power Man & Iron Fist #13-15
    Ragnarok #1-4
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited June 2017
    January Winner: West Coast Avengers Omnibus vol 1
    February Winner: New Teen Titans Omnibus vol 2
    March Winner: Winter Soldier: The Complete Collection
    April Winner - Three way tie - Strangers in Paradise Omnibus book 2, Astro City: Family Album, and Epic Collection Captain America "The Coming of the Falcon" - with art by Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, John Romita, John Buscema, and Gene Colan....tough to beat that group.
    May Winner - The Autobiography of James T. Kirk. - not a comic book but this tread has never really been about "rules"

June Books (so far):

Fantastic Four Omnibus vol 2: My favorite part of this is Kirby, the master of drawing massive machines & computers, goes against form and the Ultimate Nullifier is roughly the size of an iphone.
    Transformers Classics vol 1
    Astro City: Confessions
    DC Showcase: Hawkman vol 1
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Torchsong said:

January Winner: Sensational She-Hulk: The Return (Marvel)
    February Winner: Vampirella Masters Vol. 1: Morrison & Millar (TPB)(Dynamite)
    March Winner: Holy Corpse Rising Vol. 2 (Seven Seas) (Manga)
    April Winner: Supergirl Vol. 2 (Peter David Run) (DC)
    May Winner: Motor Girl Vol. 1 (Abrstract)

June Books:
    The Big O Vols. 1 - 4 (Viz) (Manga)

So many jokes...
    But I need answers...
    Was the manga good? I really liked the cartoon (going to get the rerelease soon on Blu Ray).
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2017
    January winner: Doctor Strange: The Oath.
    February winner: Aquaman vol. 8
    March winner: X-O Manowar #1
    April winner: Doctor Strange
    May winner: Ninjak - Matt Kindt has delivered another great Valiant series here

June books...

Stephen Kings N. #1-4
    Eternal Warrior: Awakening
    AD: After Death 1-3
    Doctor Strange #19-20
    Vision vol.1&2
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme vol.1 - the sixth issue of this is a choose your own adventure style book. So much fun. Great read
    Justice League of America Rebirth #4-7
    Ghostbusters: Funko Universe one shot.
    Hulk: The End tpb
    Invincible Iron Man vol.1&2
    Secret Invasion tpb
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Was the manga good? I really liked the cartoon (going to get the rerelease soon on Blu Ray).

Yep. I found the 6-volume set at a used bookstore and scooped them up. Stories don't completely flow with the anime but are fun anyhow. I may have to invest in that re-release as well..
  • Options
    Anyone else reading the LITRPG subgenre of fiction? Any good recommendations?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mid-Jun reading list
    Legion of Superheroes (1984) #6-10
    Spiderman (1990) #1-7 Omnibus
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

Yep. I found the 6-volume set at a used bookstore and scooped them up. Stories don't completely flow with the anime but are fun anyhow. I may have to invest in that re-release as well..
    Want to do some trading?

Also I have the Anime in the mail from Amazon.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Addendum:

Spider-Gwen HC - I am positive this was not good. I just am not exactly sure of all of the reasons why. Right now I am stuck on it was a terrible idea that was poorly executed.