Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Recommend me some current tv shows

dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
I have pretty much stopped watching most current tv shows. Mainly cause I hate reality tv,and every current sitcom I have watched didn't make me laugh. So I would love to hear of some good tv shows that are airing currently on American channels.

Here is a quick list of the few shows I watch currently.

Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
American Horror story

Now I am a big fan of the science fiction and horror genres. But I have come to hate any dramas that are about Cops,lawyers or set in hospitals.

Comments

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Mad Men. You can get the first four seasons cheap (or on Netflix). It's all kinds of wonderful.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Mad Men. You can get the first four seasons cheap (or on Netflix). It's all kinds of wonderful.

I have been watching the first season of it recently. And totally forgot to add it to my list of shows I am watching. What a well written show,plus Ms Hendricks is stunning.

Another I have started watching that I forgot to add to my list is the UK version of Life on Mars. About halfway through season 1 and it is amazing. It is one of the few shows about cops that I have enjoyed recently.

Thanks for the recommendations.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Breaking Bad
    Weeds
    Bob's Burgers
    Once Upon a Time
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Breaking Bad
    Weeds
    Bob's Burgers
    Once Upon a Time
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Breaking Bad I watched the first season liked it. But it is one I am gonna wait till it is over
    then rent the dvds and watch the entire series in a month or so.

Weeds I have watched most of the first season and the show didn't appeal to me much.

Bob's Burgers I have watched a few times and it never made me laugh. All I ask outta a sitcom is at least 2 times during an episode it makes me laugh.

Once Upon a time-I saw the first episode. Enjoyed it,but have decieded to wait till the first season hits dvd to watch it.

It's Always sunny in Philadelphia I have watched the first 2 seasons. But the seasons after them I found to not be that funny.

Thank you for the recommendations.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    No problem, but I think you are missing a bit with some of these... Bob's Burgers is hilarious but you have to watch more than a few and understand it. It isn't just one-dimensional humor or like most other animated shows currently, there is a lot there if you get into it. I have a similar requirement as yourself on laughs and I get more than my money's worth out of this show. The daily burger sign alone is good for one every show.

Always Sunny is a humor along the lines of Arrested Development, if that isn't your thing then I can see this not being your thing. OUaT is a show I like and hate at the same time, it is enjoyable though overall. Breaking Bad is the best thing on TV IMO. It begins to taper a bit by season 4 but it is still tops in my book.

Everything is subjective though, but I think if you give Bob's Burgers a proper chance it might surprise you. I had the same initial reaction, now it is one of my favorite animated shows.
  • Options
    No problem, but I think you are missing a bit with some of these... Bob's Burgers is hilarious but you have to watch more than a few and understand it. It isn't just one-dimensional humor or like most other animated shows currently, there is a lot there if you get into it. I have a similar requirement as yourself on laughs and I get more than my money's worth out of this show. The daily burger sign alone is good for one every show.

Always Sunny is a humor along the lines of Arrested Development, if that isn't your thing then I can see this not being your thing. OUaT is a show I like and hate at the same time, it is enjoyable though overall. Breaking Bad is the best thing on TV IMO. It begins to taper a bit by season 4 but it is still tops in my book.

Everything is subjective though, but I think if you give Bob's Burgers a proper chance it might surprise you. I had the same initial reaction, now it is one of my favorite animated shows.

I loved Arrested Development. Watched it from when it first started airing. But Always sunny,after the first two seasons something about the show felt different to me. I will have to give Bob's Burgers another chance. I have been wanting Fox to air a good animated sitcom since King of the Hill went off the air.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    The only show I take the time to watch on television is Fringe. It's an excellent sci-fi show, but the problem is that if you watch the early episodes, it really just feels like an updated version of the X-Files (apparently, when the show was pitched the creators didn't even tell the studio what the show was really about to preserve the mystery), but if you don't watch from the start, it doesn't make as much sense. And even if you do follow along, there are plot points that get picked up years later from earlier episodes that you wouldn't have caught if you didn't watch the early episodes. If you have the patience to watch the early episodes knowing full well that the show will become something very very different than what it starts out as, it will pay off. And they just recently announced that next season (the fifth) will be the final season, so the show is getting a proper ending without leaving fans hanging.

But if parallel universes, alternate realities, time travel, altered histories and the like give you a headache, you'll probably just want to skip the show.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Breaking Bad
    Justified
    Modern Family
    The Middle
    Parks and Rec
  • Options
    I don't know if it's because I've just now discovered The West Wing and having been devouring it like popcorn, but I really dug the premiere episode of VEEP--HBO's new comedy staring the lovely Julia Louis-Dreyfus. She's the VPOTUS, dontcha know...

I'm sick and tired of faux documentary style of shooting, but the very non-PC humor won me over quickly. It's especially good after watching two episodes of West Wing starring President Kal-El and his immaculate Virtue Squad*. Phrases like "Weapons Grade retard", "slutty bitch bag", and "hoisted on your own retard" are particularly palate cleansing...and just flat out hilarious.

*I mean that with all respect. WW is preachy as heck, but fortunately, it preaches the issues and values I already hold dear. Still, as I approach the middle of season 2, SOMEBODY has to have a character flaw, right?
  • Options
    Community (the best show on television)
    The Finder (quirky, fun, creative, and interesting)
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    currently (re-)watching:

- Boardwalk Empire
    - Walking Dead
    - Justified
    - Fringe
    - Game of Thrones
    - Once Upon a Time
    - Community
    - Modern Family
    - Breaking Bad
    - Parks and Recreation
    - Roseanne
    - M.A.S.H.
    - Louie
    - Alcatraz

yep - I watch way more TV shows than movies these days
  • Options
    Fringe
    Once A Upon A Time
    Community
    The Big Bang Theory
    Person of Interest
    The Finder
  • Options
    Breaking Bad
    Community
    The Middle
    Modern Family
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited April 2012
    A few shows I like.

Action
    Spartacus
    Strike Back

Comedy
    Willard
    Louie
    Childrens Hospital

Drama
    Boss
    Treme
    Homeland - I think this is actually the best show to debut last year

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
    Teen Wolf - this was a surprise last summer. It's a lot better than I imagined it would be.

Animation

Archer
    Young Justice
    Avengers: EMH
  • Options
    Other than cop and hospital shows, my suggestions would be:

Fringe
    Once Upon a Time
  • Options
    Thanks for all the recomendations.

Fringe I hear is ending next year,So I will just wait till it is over and rent the dvds.

Big Bang Theory,Community,Modern Family,The Middle and Parks and Rec are all shows I have watched and didn't find any of them funny enough to bother keeping up with . With BBT I found it painfully unfunny.

I am already a huge fan of Boardwalk Empire and plan on getting HBO while the third season is airing. Game of Thrones ,well I am not a huge fan of the fantasy genre. Plus I get a feeling that Martin will end up dying before he finishes the novels. And that will end up majorly effecting the tv show. Treme I have it on a list of stuff I want to rent from Netflix. And Boss I watched a few episodes of the first season,and enjoyed what I saw. So once it hits dvd I will watch all of that season.
  • Options
    one that's coming up in a month or so that i'm really looking forward to is "Newsroom" on HBO. it's written by aaron sorkin who did "West Wing".
  • Options
    one that's coming up in a month or so that i'm really looking forward to is "Newsroom" on HBO. it's written by aaron sorkin who did "West Wing".
    a thousand times yes! I am also very much looking forward to NEWSROOM
  • Options
    JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM!!!! (I believe Larry David plans to do another season, so that definitely makes it current).

Eastbound & Down (nothing needs to be said, just watch the mother!)
    Californication (I'm surprised no one else said this one?)

I'd say Game of Thrones, but they keep shitting on me by taking bits and parts (I am one that wants exact detail) and making scenes they're own way, I suppose GRRM likes the smell of the money. Read the books!

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    edited May 2012

*I mean that with all respect. WW is preachy as heck, but fortunately, it preaches the issues and values I already hold dear. Still, as I approach the middle of season 2, SOMEBODY has to have a character flaw, right?
    I think by the end of the second season we see lots of chinks in the armor of many of the people...

let me think... President, yup, VP, yup, Josh, yup, Toby, Yup... and it keeps going...

I think theres a good bit of hubris in the early goings, and we get a lot of "pride before the fall" ... but by the end of the second season there are plenty of mistakes made in the bartlet administration.

@wrecking_crew If you are watching the whole run of the show dont give up before the final season. Its one of the best in the run. Watching the NEXT presidential election (not Bartlet) is some of the best stuff that West Wing does...
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    edited May 2012
    I watched The West Wing but found the longer it went on, the less I enjoyed it. Plus, they lifted storylines from the far superior Sports Night too often. (A great advantage of Sports Night was the half hour episode. Much tighter show.)

The only thing I liked less was when some of the story elements that had been lifted from Sports Night and put on The West Wing were then lifted again and thrown into Studio 60. Like watching a terrible copy of an okay copy.

Plus, Studio 60 took itself far too seriously. It was supposed to be a show about a SNL-esque show. You can't impose the same sense of importance to every action that you could in a show about the White House.

Studio 60. Ugh. Hated that show.

Still miss Sports Night, though.
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    I second (or third or whatever) Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad!
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Prophets of Sci-Fi on the Science Channel....Yeah, apparently they show things that aren't reruns of Firefly and Mythbusters
  • Options
    Adventure Time and Regular Show,two of the best & weirdest cartoons on right now.
  • Options
    Being Human (British Version)
    Sanctuary

Agree with @RedRight88 and his 'Prophets of Science Fiction' call because that is an impressive series.

Otherwise the only other thing I'm really watching is Supernatural.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Even though it kinda rips off Fables, Once Upon A Time is awesome. Very LOST-esque. (And if you haven't watched LOST yet, you NEED to). Hawaii 5-0 is also pretty good. Nothing special, just a very solid show. And the NBC Thursdays will never lead you astray.
  • Options
    Adventure Time and Regular Show,two of the best & weirdest cartoons on right now.

I enjoy Regular Show. But can not get into Adventure Time.But do understand why it has such a huge following.
  • Options

I think by the end of the second season we see lots of chinks in the armor of many of the people...
    Just finished Season 3 of WW. I think I can officially stop calling Bartlett "President Superman". Yeah, the cracks are definitely starting to show.

Kal-El would make a terrible Head of State anyway ;)
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I kid you not. Teen Wolf. No really.