Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rank & Phile #5: Flash Rogues

Shout out to @mwhitt80 for unintentionally providing the theme to this week’s edition of Rank & Phile. To recap, “Rank & Phile” is an idea that spawned out of a discussion in the 2017 Reading Thread. I'll post one list of five subjects each week, and to try to prevent topic confusion and having to sift through pages of posts, I'll start a new thread for each new list. Your job, if you choose to accept it, is to rank the five subjects on the list below however you see fit. Why rank my list of subjects rather than have everyone come up with their own list of subjects, you ask? Personally, I find that the more options I am given, the more difficult it is to rank them. This is meant to be a quick, hopefully fun, process that you won’t have to spend too much time on. Also, it might get us talking about characters, creators, or stories we might not talk about otherwise.

When you think “rouges’ gallery” in comics, there are really only three that immediately leap to mind: Batman’s, Spider-Man’s, and of course the Flash’s. It’s difficult to limit this list to five rogues, so I’m just going with the first five to appear in Flash (excluding Gorilla Grodd, because I don’t really see him as a member of the group). Unfortunately, that leaves out the favorite of many, Captain Boomerang, but something had to give. Have at it!

Captain Cold / Mirror Master / Pied Piper / Trickster / Weather Wizard

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mirror Master
    Captain Cold
    Trickster
    Pied Piper
    Weather Wizard

I like them all :)

• Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    Captain Cold
    Mirror Master
    Trickster
    Weather Wizard
    Pied Piper

The top two were easy, the bottom three could rotate positions in the future.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    1) Captain Cold
    2) Mirror Master
    3) Trickster
    4) Weather Wizard
    5) Pied Piper
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited July 2017
    1) Mirror Master — For me this is more because of the second Mirror Master and the way Grant Morrison used him in Animal Man.

2) Captain Cold — For whatever reason, maybe because he seemed to be the most serious or meanest of the original rogues, CC always struck me as the biggest threat of the rogues (though not as big a threat as Grodd or Abra Kadabra or Reverse Flash, none of whom I consider part of the rogues’ gallery).

3) The Trickster — I like the costume and that there is a bit of variety in the way he tries to defeat the Flash. And I like the way he was developed in the ’80s and early ’90s.

4) Pied Piper — He was always a bit of a dud until the Wally West Flash series. The way he was made into a more complex character there almost made me rank him higher. But then I hated the way he was handled post-Waid.

5) Weather Wizard — He’s more a big jerk than a credible villain. Really, he should be the most powerful of the bunch, but he’s never been written up to that potential.
  • Options
    I'm surprised we have the exact same rankings, Eric. Albeit for slightly different reasons.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I'm surprised we have the exact same rankings, Eric. Albeit for slightly different reasons.

Had to happen sooner or later. If not for Morrison’s Mirror Master, it probably would have been Cold, Trickster, Piper, then Mirror Master, and Weather Wizard. What made Mirror Master your number one?
  • Options
    haha! Flash #254 pictured above. I read that book dozens of times (v1)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Pretty much in the order you posted them. Just switched the last two:

Captain Cold - The Industry Standard. The Unofficial "Boss" or "Leader"
    Mirror Master - The deadliest of the bunch, in my book.
    Pied Piper - As someone else stated, more interesting when he came out during Wally West's turn as the speedster.
    Weather Wizard - Fun character but not as cool as the previous three.
    Trickster - Only because Mark Hamil played him in the live action show.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I love Tom vs. the Flash. I am on my third listen through; his sweet voice rocks me into dreamland most nights. So this is based on my reading of post Crisis flash and the entire pre Crisis flash. Please note I love Wally more, but Know the entire Barry run.

Captain Cold - there are only two rogues that can be at the top of the list. Captain Cold and Captain Boomerang, and Boomerang is not here. First Cold is the objectively the best on the list, you might "like" others better but you are wrong. I like Michelangelo's Moses better than David, but David is better. Second his sister became a rogue (Golden Glider), and third he is the rogue that the all but boomerang aspire to be.

Mirror Master - He is the scariest rogue on the list. I think he has come the closest to actually killing the flash than any of the other rogues. Plus his "power" is just creepy.

The Trickster - he's goofy and fun, and I have a soft spot for him.

Weather Wizard - he killed his brother and uses a wand... Not the worst rogue...

Pied Piper - snitches get stitches.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Flash 254 should be one of the greatest comic gimmicks. Im sorry but I believe we should look forward to rogue convention issues like Halloween parades, thing poker games, and Xman baseball. Missed opportunities from a fun issue.