Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What Comic Didn't Work for You This Week?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    mphil said:

Here's a few I read this weekend and didn't love:

Superman #39: I'm not sure what they are doing with this series right now.

Waiting for Bendis.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2018
    Mr_Cosmic said:

mphil said:

Waiting for Bendis.

I saw that play a couple of years ago. There was a lot more dialogue than I expected, and nothing really happened.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mr_Cosmic said:

mphil said:

Waiting for Bendis.

I saw that play a couple of years ago. There was a lot more dialogue than I expected, and nothing really happened.
    I did like that scene in the play where these cops were leading a guy they arrested through the police department as he screamed about an unrelated play.

https://imgur.com/a/9dORr#ACgoudk
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    edited February 2018
    I'm not much of a Bendis fan but I really can't wait for his run to start. Superman started off well in DC Rebirth with the Lois and Clark book leading into the first arc. Once they started making the series be about Jon it quickly fell apart.
  • Options
    mphil said:

I'm not much of a Bendis fan but I really can't wait for his run to start. Superman started off well in DC Rebirth with the Lois and Clark book leading into the first arc. Once they started making the series be about Jon it quickly fell apart.

I thought Superman started off well too..although I dropped it a dozen or so issues in. Action Comics, on the other hand, has been really great. I'd love for Jurgens to stay on Action and let Bendis just have Superman.
  • Options
    Well I decided in Rebirth that I only wanted 1 twice-monthly Superman book so I flipped the coin; looks like my luck!
  • Options
    KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    @mphil . I'm glad to read someone else is not caring for Mister Miracle! I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have said it in another post but will say it again. I'm shocked this series gets as much love as it does!
  • Options
    Keegan said:

@mphil . I'm glad to read someone else is not caring for Mister Miracle! I was beginning to think I was the only one. I have said it in another post but will say it again. I'm shocked this series gets as much love as it does!

Thanks for the support Keegan! I hate to even talk about it because I think Tom King is one of the best writers in comics and I usually love everything he does, but this one just doesn't work for me. Out of curiosity, what do you not like about it?
  • Options
    KeeganKeegan Posts: 21
    I agree about Tom King @mphil. I like his other work. My problem with Mister Miracle is Tom is preaching a subliminal message and I don't enjoy wading through the text and art to piece it all together. I believe a story needs to be enjoyable to read first and if the story has a deeper message that is great. I just don't enjoy the story. I realize I'm in the minority. Maybe I just don't have enough knowledge of the characters and background to piece it all together.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Mister Miracle is about PTSD, and how people cope with it. Tom is just telling that story in a way that is immersive rather than talking through it, which could very easily come off as being preachy or authoritative. And he's also telling a story of the New Gods.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Mister Miracle is about PTSD, and how people cope with it. Tom is just telling that story in a way that is immersive rather than talking through it, which could very easily come off as being preachy or authoritative. And he's also telling a story of the New Gods.

Is this going to be a lead in to his super hero therapy book?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Is this going to be a lead in to his super hero therapy book?
    Only thematically, I think. I'm not even sure Mister Miracle takes place within continuity.
  • Options
    Thanks for your perspective @nweathington, this does make me change the way I view the book (slightly). What is Mister Miracle suffering PTSD from? Is this something that happened in the first issue or before?
  • Options
    mphil said:

Thanks for your perspective @nweathington, this does make me change the way I view the book (slightly). What is Mister Miracle suffering PTSD from? Is this something that happened in the first issue or before?

Tom is working under the assumption that being given up by your family and being handed to the Devil, then being raised by that Devil (and his subordinates—namely Granny Goodness) in Hell, you would almost certainly be a victim of PTSD. So, no, it’s not one specific event in this story, or any other story, it’s just Tom extrapolating on the character background created by Kirby (who himself most likely suffered from PTSD).
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

mphil said:

Tom is working under the assumption that being given up by your family and being handed to the Devil, then being raised by that Devil (and his subordinates—namely Granny Goodness) in Hell, you would almost certainly be a victim of PTSD. So, no, it’s not one specific event in this story, or any other story, it’s just Tom extrapolating on the character background created by Kirby (who himself most likely suffered from PTSD).
    I would add that it is that, as well as specifically trauma from Scott's war service, as well. So it is not just being brought up in a Hell, but then spending most of your adulthood fighting an endless war.
  • Options
    David_D said:

mphil said:

I would add that it is that, as well as specifically trauma from Scott's war service, as well. So it is not just being brought up in a Hell, but then spending most of your adulthood fighting an endless war.
    Fighting a war he wanted no part of. That’s why he fled Apokolips to Earth rather than to New Genesis. His career as an escape artist was just a reflection of his feelings towards the war.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Terrifics #1 by Lemire, Reis, and Prado, I am sorry to say.

I am a big fan of Lemire (though more consistently of his creator-owned work rather than his corporate work), though I tend to read or at least try what he does for the Big 2 as well. I think Reis is consistently excellent, including here.

These are characters I like, I'm a longtime fan of Metamorpho and of Mr. Terrific. The idea that they are basically making a DC version of the FF is a fun idea in its cheekiness. I has been looking forward to this. But as a first issue, it fell flat for me. It felt like a '90s comic (and not in a good way). A lot of big, flashy entrances. A lot of indistinct energy thrown around, and talk about other dimensions they might go later, and very little substance or story. Most of the character interactions and conversation didn't get past, "Hey look, it's.... (LOGO OF CHARACTER)!" And some talk of maybe beating each other up. But I was left with very little sense of what this comic was going to be. Just a lot of flash a character and throw them together with the others.

I thought the Plastic Man stuff seemed the most interesting, and it was interesting to see a pissed off version of him versus his usual comic relief, but that was mostly follow up to stuff I have not read in Dark Knights Metal.

And the Tom Strong entrance at the end, which I did not know about when I ordered the book, but knew about before reading the issue, is supposed to be a hook, but for me it is a sour note, and a turn off.

(And, even if I came to the book unspoiled by that final reveal, the appearance of the Strong family in the fold-out cover gives it away before the first content page anyway).

Fortunately I've got plenty of other Lemire to read, but it doesn't look like I will be adding this one.
  • Options
    I had signed up for The Terrifics, but the first issue didn't get put in my bag for some reason, and they sold out before I got to the shop so I don't have the issue. Given all the negative-to-meh reviews I've read, I'm okay with that.
  • Options
    Oh no :( I have Terrifics in my to-read pile. I'll post about it after I read it, hopefully not in this thread!
  • Options
    Yeah, so I read The Terrifics #1. I didn't hate it, but it was a bit boring. I think I'll stick with it for the first arc at least.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    I don't think The Terrifics is any better or worse than any other Big Two book I've read recently. It's a series spinning out of an overblown crossover starring characters that range between 20 - 80 years old. Plus, Jeff Lemire is co-writing it with Ivan Reis and is probably operating under editorial restrictions since he's writing a book that exists in a shared universe, so I don't really count this as a Jeff Lemire book.
  • Options

I don't think The Terrifics is any better or worse than any other Big Two book I've read recently. It's a series spinning out of an overblown crossover starring characters that range between 20 - 80 years old. Plus, Jeff Lemire is co-writing it with Ivan Reis and is probably operating under editorial restrictions since he's writing a book that exists in a shared universe, so I don't really count this as a Jeff Lemire book.

I think that is well-observed. I was hoping for something more distinctive, but this felt very editorially-driven (which again gave it that ‘90s vibe).
  • Options
    I count The Terrifics as a Jeff Lemire book, but I grant you that there are two types of Jeff Lemire books: creator-owned and corporate-owned. Creator-owned Jeff Lemire books are, by and large, excellent, and at their worst above average. Corporate-owned Jeff Lemire books are occasionally excellent (see Moon Knight), typically above average (see Hawkeye and Old Man Logan), and at their worst average. From my perspective, his DC work tends to be on the lower end of that scale for whatever reasons, so while I wasn’t expecting an excellent series, I was at least hoping for an above average series. But it sounds like (again, I haven’t read it) the consensus is it's pretty average, and pretty average won’t make my pull list.
  • Options
    I liked The Terrifics...although it might be my FF withdrawal influencing me.
  • Options
    Um, I'm not used to getting "insightfuls" on here. I feel out of my element. It's making me a little uncomfortable.

Please, allow me to make a poop joke to get my rhythm back.

*Ahem* Did you hear about the constipated composer? He had problems with his last movement. Thank you and good day.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I count The Terrifics as a Jeff Lemire book, but I grant you that there are two types of Jeff Lemire books: creator-owned and corporate-owned. Creator-owned Jeff Lemire books are, by and large, excellent, and at their worst above average. Corporate-owned Jeff Lemire books are occasionally excellent (see Moon Knight), typically above average (see Hawkeye and Old Man Logan), and at their worst average. From my perspective, his DC work tends to be on the lower end of that scale for whatever reasons, so while I wasn’t expecting an excellent series, I was at least hoping for an above average series. But it sounds like (again, I haven’t read it) the consensus is it's pretty average, and pretty average won’t make my pull list.

Hmm, interesting. Lemire’s Moon Knight series is the only stuff of his I’ve read. I found it to be horrible. It’s essential the next to last straw of why I stopped reading the character.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Matt said:

Hmm, interesting. Lemire’s Moon Knight series is the only stuff of his I’ve read. I found it to be horrible. It’s essential the next to last straw of why I stopped reading the character.
    I think you found it horrible for the same reason you find a lot of Batman projects horrible: you have a very specific idea of how you want those characters to be written and don't really want to read anything that strays outside of those parameters. For me, I've always enjoyed the concept of Moon Knight more than how it's usually executed. I enjoy the fantasy aspect with the Egyptian gods. I like for there to be a struggle between "is he crazy or is he sane?" which I know you don't care for. In other words Lemire wrote exactly the kind of Moon Knight story I want to read, and did so in a cool and interesting way (such as incorporating a different artist for each of his personalities).
  • Options

there are two types of Jeff Lemire books: creator-owned and corporate-owned.

I very much agree with this point and think this would be an excellent topic of discussion for an episode of CGS or a forum thread of it's own. Jonathan Hickman had some interesting things to say on his creator-owned material versus his Marvel material years ago on an early episode of The Comics Alternative.

Recently, I found myself re-evaluating my opinion of Rick Remender's work after reading Tokyo Ghost, Deadly Class and a short he had published in an anthology. Initially, I didn't care for his writing because I had only read his Marvel work. Now he's one of my new favorite writers.

• Options

there are two types of Jeff Lemire books: creator-owned and corporate-owned.

I very much agree with this point and think this would be an excellent topic of discussion for an episode of CGS or a forum thread of it's own. Jonathan Hickman had some interesting things to say on his creator-owned material versus his Marvel material years ago on an early episode of The Comics Alternative.

Recently, I found myself re-evaluating my opinion of Rick Remender's work after reading Tokyo Ghost, Deadly Class and a short he had published in an anthology. Initially, I didn't care for his writing because I had only read his Marvel work. Now he's one of my new favorite writers.
    I had dinner with Remender one night at a con back before he started working for Marvel. It was a big group of people though, so I didn't really get to talk with him much. Interesting guy.

I think Hickman’s work for Marvel is on the whole very good, mostly because it’s not all that far off from what he writes on his own. He’s a big concept/sci-fi kind of guy, and that works pretty well in superhero comics. Lemire thrives in writing personal, introspective stories. That can work in superhero comics in small doses, but it needs to be balanced with action and dynamics. But I like that he goes out of his comfort zone now and then and tries to do something different. You'll never get better at something without practice.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

I think you found it horrible for the same reason you find a lot of Batman projects horrible: you have a very specific idea of how you want those characters to be written and don't really want to read anything that strays outside of those parameters. For me, I've always enjoyed the concept of Moon Knight more than how it's usually executed. I enjoy the fantasy aspect with the Egyptian gods. I like for there to be a struggle between "is he crazy or is he sane?" which I know you don't care for. In other words Lemire wrote exactly the kind of Moon Knight story I want to read, and did so in a cool and interesting way (such as incorporating a different artist for each of his personalities).
    Isn’t that pretty much the mindset of a fan? If a single, “Parker luck”, near poverty Spider-man is the version you’re a fan of, would you be a fan of an involved, successful, wealthy Spider-man be interesting if that’s become the character norm?

What about if the Walter West version of the Flash became THE version of Flash?

I enjoyed the ambiguity of whether or not Specter died & was resurrected by Khonshu. I enjoyed the ambiguity of the supernatural aspect. If needing him to be written like the character instead of switching to something different, then yes.

When the noted number one Moon Knight fan stopped reading during the Lemire because “this isn’t Moon Knight,” I can’t be that far off.