Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

January 2018 Comics Solicitations (November Previews) | What Looks Good?

Local comic shoppers, tighten up your pull-lists. Early birds, prepare to place your pre-orders here: DCBService.com. Online orders begin around November 5th and end around October 24th.

+++++++++++++

Check out the following links:

+ 451 Media Group
+ Aardvark Vanaheim Comics
+ Abstract Studio
+ AC Comics
+ Action Lab Entertainment
+ Action Lab Danger Zone
+ Aftershock Comics
+ Amigo Comics
+ Archie Comics
+ Aspen Comics
+ Avatar Press
+ Blackbox Comics
+ Bongo Comics
+ BOOM! Studios
+ Chapterhouse Comics
+ Dark Horse Comics
+ DC Comics
+ Devils Due/1First Comics
+ Dynamite Entertainment
+ IDW Publishing
+ Image Comics
+ Marvel Comics
+ ONI Press
+ Red 5 Comics
+ Space Goat Publishing
+ Titan Comics
+ Valiant Entertainment

So what's going into your shopping cart? Or on your pull-list? You may want to wait until we can all go through the official catalogue with @Adam_Murdough, @Pants, @ShaneKelly, and @wildpigcomics as they post their next Previews podcast episode (likely within the first week or so of October), before you decide to finalize your order.

If you know of any publishers that were been left out, but who have solicits for January 2018 up on the web, please add that in a reply comment to this thread. Also of note, there is usually a Free PDF version of Previews posted online here around the first week of the month.

++++++++

Check for any other solicits at the following sites: Previews World, FirstComicsNews.com, ComicBookResources.com, ComicList.com, Comic Cavalcade (comcav.net), ConstantCollectible.com, ComicsContinuum.com, Newsarama.com

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited October 2017
    Boom
    Mech Cadet vol 1

Darkhorse
    Kitchen Nightmares #1 by Anthony Bourdan

DC
    The Terrifics Tetra #1
    Swamp thing Winter Special
    Snagglepuss #1
    Aquaman by Peter David vol. 1
    Motherlands

Southern Bastards vol 4

Marvel
    I was so close to congratulating them for having Jack & $#!+ this month, then I found 2 items to look at.
    Punisher Max Omnibus vol 1 I've read all the issues in this collection, but they are great.
    Then I remembered to look at the XMen for Ed Piskor. He's there.
    It's a sad time when a Ghost Rider book can't even peak my interest; I'll pick it up, but man.... I love trucks and Marvel sucks
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2017
    Good picks @mwhitt80

Still perusing them all, but only the following Marvel's solicits caught my eye. Not getting much from them these days.

Epic Collection Excalibur Cross Time Capers
    Punisher Max by Garth Ennis Omnibus Vol. 1 HC
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Cowboy Ninja Viking Deluxe Edition! That book was awesomely fun!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2017
    Marvel
    Rise of the Black Panther #1
    Legion #1 — This is a maybe. Peter Miligan is writing, which is a great fit.
    Captain America #697
    Spider-Gwen #28
    Jessica Jones #16
    Marvel Two-in-One #2 — Maybe. Depends on the first issue.
    Squirrel Girl #28
    Black Panther #169
    Hawkeye #14
    X-Men: Grand Design #2

Dark Horse
    Koshchei the Deathless #1
    Harrow County vol. 7 TP
    Dept. H #22
    Sherlock Frankenstein & the Legion of Evil #4
    Empowered & Sistah Spooky’s High School Hell #2

DC
    The Terrifics #1 — Hmm. Not sure how I feel about Tom Strong being involved in this.
    Swamp Thing Winter Special
    Mister Miracle #6
    Future Quest Showcase #6
    The Ruff & Reddy Show #4 — This is a maybe. The first issue was not quite what I was hoping, but I'm giving it one more issue to win me over.

IDW
    Corto Maltese: The Golden House of Samarkand TP
    The Goat Getters: Jack Johnson, the Fight of the Century, and How a Bunch of Raucous Cartoonists Reinvented Comics — Whew! What a title. This look extremely interesting. And Eddie Campbell is writing it, so I know it will be well done. Just a bit too pricey for me, I think.

Black Cloud #7
    The Family Trade #4
    Mage: The Hero Denied #5
    Manifest Destiny #34
    Paper Girls #19
    Royal City #9
    Rumble #2
    The Wicked + the Divine vol. 6 TP

Other
    Strangers in Paradise XXV #1
    Sky Masters of the Space Force: The Complete Sunday Strips in Color
    Archie #27
    Grass Kings #11
    Lumberjanes #46
    Steven Universe vol. 2 TP
    Adventure Time Comics vol. 4 TP
    Atlas & Axis #1 — Gorgeous cartooning in English for the first time!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    I see what you did there.

My disappointment with Marvel is that I went from wanting to read everything to not knowing what collection of Thor is the one I need to read for the start of Jane Foster Thor? I gave up trying to follow what they were doing; I'm not being an old man about this. I love reading good Marvel comics, but I couldn't keep up with the relaunches and additional books. It went from reading tons down to the hulks and Daredevil and whatever Ghost Rider to the hulks and Ghost Rider. Im going to get Marvel 2-n-1 because I'm hoping it will be great.
    I'm now waiting on the Jason Aaron Thor Omnibus and whatever good run I hear about to get collected into big hardcovers before I even think about trying.

I could not get through idw to see Corto Maltese . You brought those to my attention and I haven't missed a volume. I really have enjoyed looking at them.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

My disappointment with Marvel is that I went from wanting to read everything to not knowing what collection of Thor is the one I need to read for the start of Jane Foster Thor? I gave up trying to follow what they were doing; I'm not being an old man about this. I love reading good Marvel comics, but I couldn't keep up with the relaunches and additional books. It went from reading tons down to the hulks and Daredevil and whatever Ghost Rider to the hulks and Ghost Rider. Im going to get Marvel 2-n-1 because I'm hoping it will be great.
    I'm now waiting on the Jason Aaron Thor Omnibus and whatever good run I hear about to get collected into big hardcovers before I even think about trying.

I could not get through idw to see Corto Maltese . You brought those to my attention and I haven't missed a volume. I really have enjoyed looking at them.

See, I never wanted to read everything. The books I tend to be the most interested in happen to be “lower-tier” books that don’t get as caught up in the crossover events as the “A-list” books. The relaunches didn’t really affect anything I was reading except for starting the numbering over. I don’t like the massive omnibuses. I don’t want anything over 300 pages unless it’s phone book format. I also hate how Marvel does their trades—and they rarely save you any money anyway. Sometimes they’re even more expensive than the monthlies because they fill them out with old stories I've either already read or have no interest in reading. So I read the monthlies, and never have to worry about what to read next.

I'm glad you're liking the Corto Maltese books!
  • Options
    edited October 2017

mwhitt80 said:

See, I never wanted to read everything. The books I tend to be the most interested in happen to be “lower-tier” books that don’t get as caught up in the crossover events as the “A-list” books. The relaunches didn’t really affect anything I was reading except for starting the numbering over. I don’t like the massive omnibuses. I don’t want anything over 300 pages unless it’s phone book format. I also hate how Marvel does their trades—and they rarely save you any money anyway. Sometimes they’re even more expensive than the monthlies because they fill them out with old stories I've either already read or have no interest in reading. So I read the monthlies, and never have to worry about what to read next.

The best part of my falling out with Marvel is that I really started reading European and Japanese comics. You (and Augie from the pipeline) have actually been a big help in finding good European comics. So thank you.

@Torchsong has been helpful with the manga.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

The best part of my falling out with Marvel is that I really started reading European and Japanese comics. You (and Augie from the pipeline) have actually been a big help in finding good European comics. So thank you.

Man, I haven't talked to Augie in years. And speaking of which, I still need to get around to reading the last Blacksad book.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

So rarely does the word "helpful" and my name show up in the same sentence. :)

If you want a good one that celebrates the work of one of animation's greatest companies (in Japan or anywhere) look for Infini-T Force. Other than some gratuitous and unnecessary fanservice (I know..that's coming from ME...I must have a cold or something) it's a really fun read.

It takes four of the major heroes from the Tatsunoko Studio and puts them together to...what else...save the world. I think Udon is the publisher.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    mwhitt80 said:

Im going to get Marvel 2-n-1 because I'm hoping it will be great.

As someone who owns the complete run of the first volume of the title, I admit that I'm tempted. But Zdarsky's recent take on Howard the Duck and Spectacular Spider-Man, where he's re-imagined Peter as an annoying, unfunny millennial, forces me to pass. Given his recent track record, I'm expecting this to be a 'Not Brand Echh' style 'zany','wacky' romp as opposed to a back to basics, standard team-up, with one & done style action stories that the original run was frequently very good at (although there were occasional multi-issue arcs and jokes).

I'm just not interested in another joke-book, especially Marvel Two-In-One. I'd prefer the title hearken back to the original format. Another minor annoyance (for me) on this title is that while Marvel is restarting Tales of Suspense at issue #100, Marvel Two-in-One isn't starting at issue #101. Nope. Brand-new, all-new #1 issue again.

Feels like Marvel is just "trolling" Fantastic Four fans some more. Hope I'm wrong.

• Options
    Some of Cheung’s pencils (and inks) for Marvel Two-in-One #1:

• Options
    Found one more:

• Options

mwhitt80 said:

mwhitt80 said:

Man, I haven't talked to Augie in years. And speaking of which, I still need to get around to reading the last Blacksad book.
    He spends about 65% of his time on the pipeline talking about french books. He turned me on to some of my favorites, like lucky Luke.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

So rarely does the word "helpful" and my name show up in the same sentence. :)

If you want a good one that celebrates the work of one of animation's greatest companies (in Japan or anywhere) look for Infini-T Force. Other than some gratuitous and unnecessary fanservice (I know..that's coming from ME...I must have a cold or something) it's a really fun read.

It takes four of the major heroes from the Tatsunoko Studio and puts them together to...what else...save the world. I think Udon is the publisher.
    Helpful might have been a bit strong ;) I ask you is book x good, and you say panties. So you know.

Seriously though if I have a question or need an opinion confirmed/rethought about a manga, I know I can ask you. Speaking of, I want a fast and furious/Smokey and the bandit set in Tokyo. How is that not a thing? They have long running series about old geezers eating, but not the Bandit Drifts to Tokyo?
  • Options

Some of Cheung’s pencils (and inks) for Marvel Two-in-One #

Oh yes, it is quite beautiful, and as I said, I am tempted. My issue is not with the artist on the book. I'm sure it will be very pretty. If you like Zdarsky's writing style, it's a "must-buy."

I couldn't even get through his recent Spectacular book. Awful.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm not big into car/racing manga but I know Initial D gets a lot of raves and was pretty popular when it was released. You might need to do some bin diving or just look for the anime as I think it came out from Tokyopop many moons ago.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Feels like Marvel is just "trolling" Fantastic Four fans some more. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm going out on a limb and buying this. I really don't care for Zdarsky's writing but I'm so starved for anything FF related. Also, the art will help Chip's writing go down a little easier.

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

Some of Cheung’s pencils (and inks) for Marvel Two-in-One #1:

God damn glorious.
    The original Marvel Two-in-One has a special place in my heart, and I love love LOVE Cheung's work. Fingers crossed this is as good as I hope.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    edited November 2017
    DC's twice-monthly shipping is really burning me out on their books. When I get my order in the mail I like to have a nice mix of genres to read, but I am finding having so many DC books makes it feel like homework. I've already dropped Justice League of America, Batman Beyond (didn't ship twice-monthly, just crowded out by the others that did), and Black Beetle.

I think for now I just have Batman, Justice League, Superman, and Mister Miracle. All but Mister Miracle ship twice. Superman is on the fence for me (this new Apokolips story has caught my interest for now).

I really feel that the twice-monthly stuff is affecting the quality as well. So many Superman issues have been bonified after-school-specials. And Justice League has been positively forgettable. Tom King can't write a bad book, so no complaint there.

But I really do wish DC would consider going with quality-over-quantity when it comes to their most important books.
  • Options
    mphil said:

I think for now I just have Batman, Justice League, Superman, and Mister Miracle. All but Mister Miracle ship twice. Superman is on the fence for me (this new Apokolips story has caught my interest for now).

I hear ya. I'm down to Batman, Justice League, and Mister Miracle, myself.

• Options
    mphil said:

But I really do wish DC would consider going with quality-over-quantity when it comes to their most important books.

But, by shipping twice monthly, DC can hurry up and get Action and Detective to issue #1,000 and then immediately reboot them so we get a shiny new #1 of each even sooner!

• Options

mphil said:

But, by shipping twice monthly, DC can hurry up and get Action and Detective to issue #1,000 and then immediately reboot them so we get a shiny new #1 of each even sooner!

Any bets on how much a copy of Action Comics #1000 is going to retail for?

BONUS: what kind of incentives and variants do we expect?

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

mphil said:

Minimum of $5.99. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an 80 page $9.99 though.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

mphil said:

Minimum of $5.99. I wouldn’t be surprised to see an 80 page $9.99 though.
    If they do that, they should just go ahead and make it $10.00 so you have the same number of ones and zeroes as the issue number.
  • Options
    Didn't BC claim Action 1k was going to be a $30 hc? Of course BC have been wrong before. Often.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Didn't BC claim Action 1k was going to be a $30 hc? Of course BC have been wrong before. Often.

There is a hardcover companion/celebration book, which will be a mix of new and old material, but it is a separate thing.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

There is a hardcover companion/celebration book, which will be a mix of new and old material, but it is a separate thing.
    Ok, good deal.
  • Options
    A few things I added to this order outside of my normal pull list:

* Swamp Thing Winter Special. Swamp Thing + Tom King = take my money
    * Minky Woodcock Girl Who Handcuffed Houdini #3
    * Made Men #5 - This appears to be an interesting mix of crime/cop drama and horror. The main character of this book, a cop, is a descendent of Frankenstein (the mad scientist, not the monster). I'm buying #1-3 online because I missed those, hoping it is good! Check out this article if it sounds interesting to you at all.
    * Koshchei The Deathless #1 - I've been wanting to find an in to starting to read Hellboy for a long time, hoping this is it.
    * The Further Adventures of Nick Wilson #1 - A book about a retired super hero. Reminded me of J. Michael Straczynski's Sidekick book from a couple of years ago, so I want to check this one out.
    * Backways #2 - An Aftershock book about magic and stuff, worth a shot.
  • Options
    mphil said:

* Koshchei The Deathless #1 - I've been wanting to find an in to starting to read Hellboy for a long time, hoping this is it.

Koshchei appeared in one Hellboy story a few years back, but from the description I don’t think you'll need to have read that to enjoy this series. But if were to recommend a starting point, I'd say start with one of the short story collections. Those stories generally don’t tie heavily into the continuity of the overarching plotline, they’re good standalone stories, and most of them are a lot of fun.
  • Options

mphil said:

Koshchei appeared in one Hellboy story a few years back, but from the description I don’t think you'll need to have read that to enjoy this series. But if were to recommend a starting point, I'd say start with one of the short story collections. Those stories generally don’t tie heavily into the continuity of the overarching plotline, they’re good standalone stories, and most of them are a lot of fun.
    What I'm looking for is to buy something *current* to see if I want to jump-in to the overarching plot. I don't want to start from Hellboy #1, or even something written in 2010. So if something else comes up in a solicitation that is more standalone be sure to recommend it to me :)