Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bendis Goes Exclusive at DC

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

David_D said:

NYTimes coverage of this, from the other day, including comments from BMB about the move.

I keep seeing these comparisons to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC, and I think, “Nah, this is more like Roy Thomas leaving Marvel for DC.” There is no possible equivalent to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC.
    I like the Roy Thomas comparison; it's perfect.

I've been trying to figure out what the equivalent was because it isn't anything like Kirby. Kirby to DC is/was the biggest move that could have possibly happened, and I can't think of anyone else (except Stan) that could have been a bigger deal.
  • mwhitt80 said:

David_D said:

NYTimes coverage of this, from the other day, including comments from BMB about the move.

I keep seeing these comparisons to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC, and I think, “Nah, this is more like Roy Thomas leaving Marvel for DC.” There is no possible equivalent to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC.
    I like the Roy Thomas comparison; it's perfect.

I've been trying to figure out what the equivalent was because it isn't anything like Kirby. Kirby to DC is/was the biggest move that could have possibly happened, and I can't think of anyone else (except Stan) that could have been a bigger deal.
    It's not exactly perfect, since Bendis was never editor-in-chief, but it’s the best/closest comparison I could come up with as far as character creation and relevant storylines. And, yes, Stan would have been the only possible comparison, and that ship sailed long ago.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited November 2017
    It definitely doesn’t compare to Kirby, and anyone who thinks so isn’t nearly the comic book aficionado they might have us believe - but I would say that it is a bigger deal than John Romita Jr leaving Marvel for DC last year.

Most of the creators I like at Marvel are also doing indie and/or DC work already so I don’t know anyone left at Marvel that DC would consider a “get” beyond maybe Dan Slott - and currently his ASM run is selling historically low - under 60k, and his SS was just canceled.

That’s not to say anything Bendis was working on - or JRjr for that matter - was exactly burning up he sales charts.
  • There is no possible equivalent to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC.

Claremont creating Sovereign Seven for DC was pretty Kirbyesque. Not in the sense that it was epic and will be discussed and dissected by comics scholars for generations, mind you. More in the sense that he used the Female Furies, Big Barda and Darkseid in the book. They're Kirby characters, right? The internet told me so...

Claremont creating Sovereign Seven for DC was pretty Kirbyesque. Not in the sense that it was epic and will be discussed and dissected by comics scholars for generations, mind you. More in the sense that he used the Female Furies, Big Barda and Darkseid in the book. They're Kirby characters, right? The internet told me so...
    I know that’s a joke, but thinking about it, I would equate Claremont leaving Marvel for DC with Kirby leaving DC for Marvel. Before leaving, both created work that would be mined by later creators for decades and both were feeling underappreciated by their respective publishers. After leaving, both were panned by many fans for the work they did with their new publisher.

There is no possible equivalent to Kirby leaving Marvel for DC.

Now, if DC signed Claremont to an exclusive, that would certainly overshadow this! I think Marvel has an exclusive deal that prevents him from going anywhere though.

Now, if DC signed Claremont to an exclusive, that would certainly overshadow this! I think Marvel has an exclusive deal that prevents him from going anywhere though.
    Twenty years ago, sure. Today? Not so much. Claremont doesn't have the fanbase he once did, and doesn’t move the needle much these days.

Twenty years ago, sure. Today? Not so much. Claremont doesn't have the fanbase he once did, and doesn’t move the needle much these days.

Um, I don't disagree, but I thought we were comparing Kirby and Bendis so time-shifts were allowed? And are you suggesting Marvel doesn't have Claremont under contract? I've heard that they do.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited November 2017

Um, I don't disagree, but I thought we were comparing Kirby and Bendis so time-shifts were allowed? And are you suggesting Marvel doesn't have Claremont under contract? I've heard that they do.
    I should have said 30 years ago. He hasn't been a big deal since the mid- to late '80s. I just don't remember that much hubbub being raised over Claremont leaving Marvel. (Of course we didn't have social media at the time, but nobody at my LCS really cared that much). At the time he left he was on the outs with the X-Men editors. If I remember correctly, he'd been taken off the main book several months prior to his leaving.
    edited November 2017

I should have said 30 years ago. He hasn't been a big deal since the mid- to late '80s. I just don't remember that much hubbub being raised over Claremont leaving Marvel. (Of course we didn't have social media at the time, but nobody at my LCS really cared that much). At the time he left he was on the outs with the X-Men editors. If I remember correctly, he'd been taken of the main book several months prior to his leaving.
    If I remember correctly when Claremont left he hadn't just been replaced on XMen, but he was dwarfed by Todd, Rob, and Jim at that time. His leaving was more of a "peace out Chris, we'll do lunch, maybe" than a moment. At least that was the feeling I got at the time.

Maybe that is the Kirby comparison the Image guys leaving.

Edit: if Claremont left in 1983/1984 that would have been huge, which I think is what @bralinator is getting at.
    edited November 2017
    It doesn't have the same historical weight (Kirby was 50% of the team that made Marvel), but man was it a moment.
    This still makes me chuckle... but then again, I am not a JRjr fan. More the opposite.

This still makes me chuckle... but then again, I am not a JRjr fan. More the opposite.

I like Jr., But that still gets me to smile.

Has Bendis ever worked with Johnny? That might be an interesting book.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    mwhitt80 said:

Yep. I know they worked on an Avengers series together. Not sure what else.
  • mwhitt80 said:

That’s a decent comparison, but only because all of them left at once. If it had been just McFarlane, or just Lee, or just Liefeld, it wouldn’t even be close.

mwhitt80 said:

That’s a decent comparison, but only because all of them left at once. If it had been just McFarlane, or just Lee, or just Liefeld, it wouldn’t even be close.
    That's what I was thinking.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited November 2017
    Greg said:

mwhitt80 said:

Yep. I know they worked on an Avengers series together. Not sure what else.
    That was the final straw that had me leave Marvel.
    mwhitt80 said:

I should have said 30 years ago. He hasn't been a big deal since the mid- to late '80s. I just don't remember that much hubbub being raised over Claremont leaving Marvel. (Of course we didn't have social media at the time, but nobody at my LCS really cared that much). At the time he left he was on the outs with the X-Men editors. If I remember correctly, he'd been taken of the main book several months prior to his leaving.

Nah. Bendis isn't all of the image guys. Just Liefeld.
  • hauberk said:

Low blow, man. And besides, Brian would never have been asked to do a jeans commercial.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Low blow, man. And besides, Brian would never have been asked to do a jeans commercial.
    You've got me on the jeans commercial, but pretty clearly both are divisive in nature. Both have contributed some much loved characters (Jessica Jones/Miles Morales v Cable/Deadpool), both have issues with finishing things (events vs feet).

It's a pretty solid comparison if you skip past the whole Levi's thing.
  • hauberk said:

...both have issues with finishing things (events vs feet).

Well played.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    It is being reported (but not officially announced or solicited yet) that Bendis' first DC work will be a Superman story in Action Comics #1000, drawn by Jim Lee.
    Another one to file under news I am late on--

So we've known for some time that Bendis will be writing Superman titles at DC, but the news that I am, personally, more excited about, is that part of his DC deal also includes him continuing to publish creator-owned titles. I enjoy his superhero work, but I would trade more Scarlet for anything he might do with a DC or Marvel property.

There has been reporting on this a number of places (including this long and very detailed Forbes article-- I guess you know you are a commodity as a funnybook writer when Forbes is talking about the deals you make).

Bendis made his return to WordBalloon in the latest episode. I'm expecting it to be really good, Bendis has had a lot going on.

edited February 2018
    It sounds like Bendis is doing something similar to Byrne Superman.
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    When is his first issue of Superman?
    According to Bendis here's how it will be
    Action 1000
    Then DC Nation 0
    And Man of Steel 1-6
    mwhitt80 said:

Bendis made his return to WordBalloon in the latest episode. I'm expecting it to be really good, Bendis has had a lot going on.

I’ve been listening to that today. I don’t usually read Superman, but his enthusiasm is infectious.
    That lineup of artists on MOS is a hell of a thing. Including Ryan Sook and Kevin Maguire!

#Sold
  • mphilmphil Posts: 448
    mwhitt80 said:

According to Bendis here's how it will be
    Action 1000
    Then DC Nation 0
    And Man of Steel 1-6

I thought he was taking over the Superman title too, is he not?
    David_D said:

mwhitt80 said:

I’ve been listening to that today. I don’t usually read Superman, but his enthusiasm is infectious.
    It really is. I'm enjoying the episode a lot too. The Superman parade story is great.

I was laughing though. I love Bendis Tapes (been listening since the first one) and he gets very KISS like with his promotion of new books. But man I love when he gets really excited about something he writes (there's a difference in the way he talks); it reminds me of how he would talk about early ultimate Spiderman or miles Morales.