Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doomsday Clock! What do you think so far? (SPOILERS)

2»

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

Paul said:

I thought that too, but his fate in Watchmen now has me thinking otherwise.

I never let little details like that stop me from contemplating a character's possible role in a future story. I mean, it's comic books :joy:
    Don't worry he got better.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    mphil said:

I just finished rereading Watchmen. I think Malcolm Long is the new Rorschach.

Or it's Long's unseen child. He had a DAD mug, and who could resist tying up THAT loose end.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Brack said:

mphil said:

I just finished rereading Watchmen. I think Malcolm Long is the new Rorschach.

Or it's Long's unseen child. He had a DAD mug, and who could resist tying up THAT loose end.
    By God, Geoff Johns will find the bottom of that well!
  • Options
    Malcom is pictured among the dead in issue 12. The bow tie is the giveaway there and at the end of 11. The DAD mug makes an unseen child more likely. Also Geoff Johns has selectively ignored or rewritten continuity before, no reason he can't again and just decide that Malcolm or Bernie survived
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    @abstractgeek Ack, I think you're right. I didn't see that before. I think that's his helmet next to his arm as well :(

Being the kid is possible, I guess. Doomsday Clock takes place in '92 though, the kid would have had to be a teenager in the original series. Dad mugs are things new dads have, not dads of teenagers. I'm probably overanalyzing it, but yeah. I guess the kid is the best theory right now, if it is even someone from the Watchmenverse.
  • Options
    Wow I was late in finally getting to Doomsday Clock #2 and assumed there'd be lots of chat about it waiting here. But there's not even a peep! Where is everyone?

As with issue #1, this one was an interesting enough read. Very plot-driven... and lots of fun seeing Veidt/Rorschach walking around our main DC Universe, and finally interacting with the lives of Luthor and Batman. If I had to pick nits, I'd say I found the Luthor/Veidt dialogue a bit underwhelming; for the two smartest people of their respective Earths, I was hoping to see a more impressive cerebral back-and-forth.

For me, though, the real meat of this issue was in its backmatter news articles further establishing the world in which the events of Doomsday Clock are happening; specifically, the rollout of this "Supermen Theory" umbrella plot. It sounds a bit reminiscent of Luthor's 52 "Everyman Project," but much more sinister in its geopolitical ramifications here. I like that Geoff Johns is confronting and hanging story on the longtime comic book question of why most of Earth's superheroes and supervillains are concentrated right here in the United States, lol. My instinct says "The Supermen Theory" will prove to be a mere smear campaign... but who knows, when characters like the reality-bending Dr. Manhattan are involved? Or maybe all of this is but a ripple of Darkseid's reality-bending from over in the Mister Miracle title! I hate reality-bending.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    So what are we supposed to think about the Comedian returning there are the end? Is this now an alternative timeline? And if so, why is Rorschach not the real Rorschach? Or is this a copy-cat Comedian too?
  • Options
    And what's up with Rorschach eating Batman's breakfast? What a dick move!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Wow I was late in finally getting to Doomsday Clock #2 and assumed there'd be lots of chat about it waiting here. But there's not even a peep! Where is everyone?

As with issue #1, this one was an interesting enough read. Very plot-driven... and lots of fun seeing Veidt/Rorschach walking around our main DC Universe, and finally interacting with the lives of Luthor and Batman. If I had to pick nits, I'd say I found the Luthor/Veidt dialogue a bit underwhelming; for the two smartest people of their respective Earths, I was hoping to see a more impressive cerebral back-and-forth.

For me, though, the real meat of this issue was in its backmatter news articles further establishing the world in which the events of Doomsday Clock are happening; specifically, the rollout of this "Supermen Theory" umbrella plot. It sounds a bit reminiscent of Luthor's 52 "Everyman Project," but much more sinister in its geopolitical ramifications here. I like that Geoff Johns is confronting and hanging story on the longtime comic book question of why most of Earth's superheroes and supervillains are concentrated right here in the United States, lol. My instinct says "The Supermen Theory" will prove to be a mere smear campaign... but who knows, when characters like the reality-bending Dr. Manhattan are involved? Or maybe all of this is but a ripple of Darkseid's reality-bending from over in the Mister Miracle title! I hate reality-bending.

I've read the first two issues and quite liked them, but much like the original series, I really feel like I need a bigger chunk to begin to articulate my ideas. ALso, work and family demands have been eating my soul. I also want to reread them as a large chunk to see what I might have been missing with my initial read.

1 - I tend to believe that the new Rorschach is the Dr's son.

2 - Absolutely love Marionette and Mime. The bank heist was really a great scene.

3 - Something that @Peter mentioned in his first breakdowns, was the cells where Rorschach stopped in issue 1. I missed the cell numbers on my first read and he observed that it probably meant something, but didn't really take it anywhere. The cells were 13 and 31 which plays nicely with all of the symmetry from the original book.

4 - I need to reread the Supermen Theory, but I too recall having some initial thought about Luthor and the Everyman project. It also made me think a little about Invasion! and the whole metagene/metabomb concept. Sidenote: I really love Invasion! I feel like it gets looked over a lot but it was actually one of the more impactful events - L.E.G.I.O.N was a direct result and so very good for quite a run.

More later....

• Options
    Rorschach: "What page are you on?"

Batman: "Four."
  • Options
    Read issue 4 today. I’m finding that I like the idea of this series more than the actual series itself. It’s interesting, and the art is great, but for a series now coming out bimonthly, I need more to happen in each issue for me to enjoy it. I’m interested to see what others think of the series so far.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @SenatorKelly I hear you. It's tough to invest in a grand, sweeping event story when it's dished out this slowly. Plus, I am beginning to dread knowing that awaiting me at the end of every issue will be a ton of backmatter text; the "letters" at the end of this issue didn't even seem to add much. I also had a couple big problems specific to this issue.

My first problem: once I was done reading Doomsday Clock #4... I realized I'd've preferred not to have known this story. This new Rorschach was more interesting to me as a mystery. Now that we know exactly who he is/ how he came to be, he's just not as much fun to me.

My second problem: This issue was mostly a story set in the Watchmen universe. I was hoping (still am) that Doomsday Clock was going to be not so much a direct Watchmen sequel as a DC Universe story - where characters from outside of it act as foils/allies to DC Universe characters. Save for brief glimpses of Batman/Alfred, none of that was going on here.