Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Other History of The DC Universe Prestige Miniseries

Some DC Comics news from today, here is their press release:
JOHN RIDLEY EXPLORES THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE IN NEW PRESTIGE COMIC BOOK MINISERIES

Today, DC announces Oscar-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) will examine the DC mythology with a compelling new literary comics miniseries, THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. The story will analyze iconic DC moments and chart sociopolitical gains through the perspectives of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups, including John Stewart, Extraño, Vixen, Supergirl, Katana and Rene Montoya among others. At its core, the series focuses on the lives of those behind the costumes, and their endeavors to overcome real-world issues.

“I could not be more excited by the opportunity to excavate the canon of the DC Universe through a vast array of characters who’ve earned their seat at the table,” explains Ridley. “I’m very impressed with DC's commitment to making their history as reverent and urgent as it is engaging and entertaining for all its many fans.”

THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE isn’t about saving the world, it’s about having the strength to simply be who you are.

Ridley will discuss his latest project for the first time this weekend on DC in D.C.’s “The Many Shades of Heroism: DC Heroes Through the African-American Lens” panel. DC in D.C. is a landmark pop culture event illuminating the story of America and current issues through the lens of comics and Super Heroes. Tune in via the live stream on Saturday, January 13, at 11 a.m. ET on the DC YouTube channel and follow along in the conversation on social media with #dcindc2018.

The new miniseries is slated to launch in winter 2018, following Ridley’s current run at Vertigo with THE AMERICAN WAY: THOSE ABOVE AND THOSE BELOW. Additional details will be provided over the coming months—check dccomics.com for updates.
Ridley is, of course, best known for his Academy Award winning screenplay for 12 Years a Slave, and that makes him a big, high-profile "get", and a number of news outlets were already picking up on this news today, even though there is no art to show yet. He's not new to comics, though-- I thought his Wildstorm miniseries The American Way from years ago was great (and I plan on reading the follow-up that he did at Vertigo more recently).

If this is supposed to launch in winter than we should have a solicitation for an issue in April, I would think. I'm interested to see who the artist(s) will be, but this is definitely on my radar for something to look forward to in 2018.

Comments

• This looks very interesting. I'm looking forward to getting this when it comes out.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    I’m all for this. Looking forward to the reaction to this weekend’s DC in DC event where I imagine this was discussed.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I tried watching the panel on YouTube, but I was too late and the stream didn't go back far enough. Maybe they'll post it separately later.

It’s an interesting concept. I'm curious as to what the “iconic DC moments” will be. Are they talking about the original iconic moments, or the current universe’s revisionist takes on those moments? Is this going to be one cohesive story with a throughline, or a series of vignettes? There are a lot of different ways this could go.
  • I'll say this about this project,

This may FINALLY give me something to latch onto concerning John Stewart.

Some of you know I'm one of two co-hosts on the LanternCast (guess what character we've talked about for nearly 10 years) and John Stewart is the one I identify with the least. At least, don't have an easy time describing to others.

To me, John has been the "angry black architect" or "the guy who's wife was murdered" or "the guy who destroyed a planet" or "the marine". But these are all, for the most part, things that HAPPENED to John. Not WHO he is. Ironically R.V.'s run with the 'Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps' title has done the most to give me a picture beyond the things that happened to him. He's a planner, he's a strategist, he'll make the hard call and stand by it, he's fiercely loyal to his "brothers". And, in a way, these are all things you could inject into your standard character with a military background. But I always wanted to know more about the MAN HIMSELF beyond the things that happen to him. Cut out the gruff, etc and get to the root of him.

Ironically, hearing about the focus on black characters in the DC in DC panels as well as Tom King talking about PTSD makes me wonder what a John Stewart character focused mini-series would look like as a result of a collaborative effort between Tom King & John Ridley.

But I'm eager to see how this project treats John Stewart SPECIFICALLY.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I'll say this about this project,

This may FINALLY give me something to latch onto concerning John Stewart.

Some of you know I'm one of two co-hosts on the LanternCast (guess what character we've talked about for nearly 10 years) and John Stewart is the one I identify with the least. At least, don't have an easy time describing to others.

To me, John has been the "angry black architect" or "the guy who's wife was murdered" or "the guy who destroyed a planet" or "the marine". But these are all, for the most part, things that HAPPENED to John. Not WHO he is. Ironically R.V.'s run with the 'Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps' title has done the most to give me a picture beyond the things that happened to him. He's a planner, he's a strategist, he'll make the hard call and stand by it, he's fiercely loyal to his "brothers". And, in a way, these are all things you could inject into your standard character with a military background. But I always wanted to know more about the MAN HIMSELF beyond the things that happen to him. Cut out the gruff, etc and get to the root of him.

Ironically, hearing about the focus on black characters in the DC in DC panels as well as Tom King talking about PTSD makes me wonder what a John Stewart character focused mini-series would look like as a result of a collaborative effort between Tom King & John Ridley.

But I'm eager to see how this project treats John Stewart SPECIFICALLY.

Green Lantern: Mosaic didn’t do it for you? Mosaic made John Stewart my favorite Lantern—one of my favorite DC characters period, really. I’d totally be up for a Stewart miniseries written by Tom and Ridley.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Stuart was number 2 green lantern because of the jla cartoon. Other than blowing up a planet (I did enjoy that mini) and mosaic (a good series) I couldn't tell you a thing about John Stuart comics.