Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel May Solicitations

Are now up.

As I mentioned in the thread discussing the new Cebulski era overall, what sounded like a huge amount of change and shake-up in May now looks more like May will be the start of changes that may take a few months to do. (Not that I am complaining, I would always rather stories that need time to wrap up be given time to do so). Most of the new titles we have already heard about, so not a lot of surprised to my eye so far in these solicits. It is a month with several divisible-by-100 anniversaries. And it seems like Marvel is back to the miniseries, even ones that are not bound to/ branded with an event, like the Quicksilver one (I know it spins out of Avengers: No Surrender, but it still looks more stand alone than, say, the miniseries we had which were parts of Civil War II or Secret Wars).

What catches your eye?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Where's Wolverine poster

Outside of my hulk book.

Earth X Omnibus

Maybe the Avengers

VENOM #1
    Written by DONNY CATES • PencilS & COVER by RYAN STEGMAN
    VIRGIN COVER VARIANT COVER BY RYAN STEGMAN
    VARIANT COVER BY Paolo Rivera
    VARIANT COVER BY J. SCOTT CAMPBELL
    REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TODD MCFARLANE
    BLACK AND WHITE REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY TODD MCFARLANE
    YOUNG GUN VARIANT COVER BY AARON KUDER
    BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    A VENOM NIGHTMARE 1000 YEARS IN THE MAKING!
    A NEW SERIES BY DONNY CATES & RYAN STEGMAN!
    In the wake of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s collapse, an ancient and primordial evil has been awakened beneath the streets of New York, and with it, something equally evil has awakened in that most Wicked of Webslingers – VENOM! Still a Lethal Protector of the innocents in New York, this never-before-seen threat could force Venom to relinquish everything it holds dear – including Eddie Brock! Join two of the hottest creators in comics today, Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman, for a VENOM adventure a thousand years in the making!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

(That Paolo Rivera variant tho....seriously. I'm all in. The solicit text feels off for me, but let's see what they do. I'm a sucker for symbiotes)

INFINITY COUNTDOWN #3 (of 5)
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • AARON KUDER, MIKE DEODATO JR. & MIKE HAWTHORNE (A)
    Cover by NICK BRADSHAW
    Variant Cover by TBA
    Drax Holds Infinity Variant Cover by ADI GRANOV
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY AARON KUDER (3 of 5)
    As the Guardians’ last mission together draws to a close, the war for the Infinity Stones has only just begun! Adam Warlock continues to search for the Soul Stone but encounters an unexpected foe…the SILVER SURFER?! Keep your eyes to the stars as Marvel’s biggest cosmic story continues!
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

(Already reading this one. Adam Warlock is in it, so...easy mark. Though I admit to having to push myself past not particularly liking the art style)

Incredible Hulk #716

(No solicit text here as the text doesn't really speak to why I'm interested. But that seems to be an odd team! Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Thor, Miles Spidey, Ms. Marvel, and SILK? Is this really a team in the MCU I'm missing out on?)

MIGHTY THOR: AT THE GATES OF VALHALLA #1
    JASON AARON (W) • RAMÓN PÉREZ AND JEN BARTEL (A)
    COVER BY NICK DERINGTON
    VARIANT COVER BY Ron Garney
    THE LAST GOODBYE!
    “The Death of the Mighty Thor” has come and gone. But Jane Foster’s power to inspire lives on — even in the far future! Don’t miss the tribute to Jason Aaron’s epic tale of Thor and the mighty hammer Mjolnir, drawn by rising star Jen Bartel!
    And with or without a Thor, the War of Realms continues. As Malekith’s power grows, the realms will fall — and who is left to stop him? Eisner Award–winning artist Ramón Pérez kicks off the next stage of Jason Aaron’s ongoing saga.
    40 PGS./ONE SHOT/Rated T …$4.99

(I mean....Jason Aaron. Plus It's Thor. I can't NOT be there for it)

VENOMIZED #5 (of 5)
    CULLEN BUNN (W) • IBAN COELLO (A)
    Cover by NICK BRADSHAW
    Variant Cover by TBA
    CONNECTING VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY (5 OF 5)
    VENOMIZED CONCLUSION!
    It’s winner take all when VENOM joins Earth’s heroes in an all-out final assault on the Poison base.
    Will a new ally of the X-Men be enough to turn the tide against the might of Poison Thanos?
    Earth’s warriors battle for not only the fate of the planet — but of the entire universe as they know it!
    Don’t miss the conclusion to VENOMIZED!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

(I was there when the new Venom series began. I was there for Venomverse. I was there for Venom Inc. I'm reading the Posion arc happening in X-Men Blue. I'll be there for this too)

OLD MAN HAWKEYE #5 (of 12)
    ETHAN SACKS (W) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (A/C)
    The VENOM MADROXES strike!
    AN EYE FOR AN EYE Part 5
    While HAWKEYE fights for his life, BULLSEYE makes a critical move toward his own goal…that is, if the RED SKULL will allow it! All this and a SURPRISE meeting that everyone will be talking about!
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

(Already reading this series. But MORE Venom stuff? I'm IN....)

X-MEN RED #4
    TOM TAYLOR (W) • MAHMUD ASRAR (A)
    Cover by Travis Charest
    Headshot Variant Cover by TRAVIS CHAREST
    DEADPOOL VARIANT COVER BY BRENT SCHOONOVER
    JEAN GREY and her team of X-Men are trying to save the world…but one mutant could spoil that for everyone. When an old friend of Jean’s is corrupted and turned against her, will Jean have to do the unthinkable?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

(#3 added Gambit to the lineup. So long as he's here in this title [or until he leaves and I've been reading long enough to care about the rest] I'll be getting this)

ROGUE & GAMBIT #5 (OF 5)
    KELLY THOMPSON (W) PERE PEREZ (A)
    Cover by KRIS ANKA
    It’s ROGUE and GAMBIT vs. LAVISH for all the marbles (nobody cares about marbles anymore, but it’s still a great saying, just go with it)! The stakes in Paraíso couldn’t be higher — the fates of innocent mutants, Rogue and Gambit, AND the hottest relationship in the Marvel Universe — all hang in the balance! Does being together make Rogue & Gambit unstoppable? Or does it doom their mission and everyone they’re trying to save? When the dust settles WHO and WHAT will be left standing?
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

(Again, sucker for all things Gambit. Plus, I'm curious. That Marvel relaunch image has a select few characters in it. One of them being Gambit. I'm curious, with him and Rogue getting this mini-series, and him showing up in X-Men Red, how big is the Gambit spotlight about to become?)

STAR WARS: THRAWN #4 (OF 6) *
    JODY HOUSER (W) • LUKE ROSS (A)
    Cover by Paul Renaud
    Variant Cover by CASPAR WIJNGAARD
    “THE RISE OF THE GRAND ADMIRAL” CONTINUES!
    Thrawn’s rise in the Imperial Empire continues at a trajectory one can only dream of. Meanwhile, Eli Vanto is still stuck in the same position as when he graduated – Thrawn’s aide. But will Thrawn’s obsession and pursuit of the mysterious crimelord “Nightswan” lead both Imperials to success in the Emperor’s eyes? Help comes from mysterious places in the Empire…
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

(REALLY enjoyed issue #1. Excited to see where this goes)

• ....That was probably more than you needed to know...

My bad!
  • That Paolo Rivera variant tho....seriously.

Paolo was really into Venom in his teens. He was 14 when “Maximum Carnage” came out, so...

Paolo was really into Venom in his teens. He was 14 when “Maximum Carnage” came out, so...
    It shows. That cover isn't drawn. It's CRAFTED. Had I the money, I'd look to buy the original. I'm impressed with it. In the meantime, I'll just have to remember to hunt down and buy the variant copy at my LCS.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited February 2018

Incredible Hulk #716

(No solicit text here as the text doesn't really speak to why I'm interested. But that seems to be an odd team! Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Thor, Miles Spidey, Ms. Marvel, and SILK? Is this really a team in the MCU I'm missing out on?)

They are all characters who tie into different stages of The Totally Awesome Hulk's run.

Ms. Marvel & Silk were in the Big Apple Showdown arc of Totally Awesome Hulk where all three of Marvel's Asian-American superheroes teamed up.

Also Shang-Chi, Jimmy Woo and Jake Oh were there.

Thor teamed up with Hulk on Sakaar.

Black Panther fired Hulk off into space. Hulk is probably not happy about that.

Miles is Hulk's teammate in The Champions, as is Ms Marvel. Try not to think too hard about how Hulk has been in The Champions and on Planet Hulk at the same time. He was also in the very first issue of Totally Awesome Hulk.

Captain Marvel ordered Hawkeye to kill Bruce Banner.
  • Brack said:

Incredible Hulk #716

They are all characters who tie into different stages of The Totally Awesome Hulk's run.

Ms. Marvel & Silk were in the Big Apple Showdown arc of Totally Awesome Hulk where all three of Marvel's Asian-American superheroes teamed up.

Also Shang-Chi, Jimmy Woo and Jake Oh were there.

Thor teamed up with Hulk on Sakaar.

Miles is Hulk's teammate in The Champions, as is Ms Marvel. Try not to think too hard about how Hulk has been in The Champions and on Planet Hulk at the same time. He was also in the very first issue of Totally Awesome Hulk.

Captain Marvel ordered Hawkeye to kill Bruce Banner.
    Gotcha. Well that explains it then. I haven't been reading Hulk. I've heard good things about Totally Awesome Hulk. But honestly? Never cared much about the character to read any issues of his runs. But the idea of those characters being a specific team seemed intriguing.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited February 2018
    Brack said:

Incredible Hulk #716

Black Panther refused to participate when the Illuminati shot Bruce into space.
    Why do so many smart people go out of the way to poke the hulk? It isn't like both Hulks aren't extremely dangerous in puny mode, and Amadeus has got a streak in him Bruce doesn't.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    mwhitt80 said:

Brack said:

Incredible Hulk #716

Black Panther refused to participate when the Illuminati shot Bruce into space.
    Why do so many smart people go out of the way to poke the hulk? It isn't like both Hulks aren't extremely dangerous in puny mode, and Amadeus has got a streak in him Bruce doesn't.
    TBF, it was Amadeus' idea to fire himself/Hulk into space in the first place.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    CBR has a piece, reflecting on the solicit for Marvel Two In One #6, about whether this series has basically been a stealth Fantastic Four return (maybe in TV turns, a sort of backdoor pilot).

I will say, it is a big month for Doom being on the cover. Haven't counted how many, but he seems all over the place.

It shows. That cover isn't drawn. It's CRAFTED. Had I the money, I'd look to buy the original. I'm impressed with it. In the meantime, I'll just have to remember to hunt down and buy the variant copy at my LCS.
    I’d say that about most of Paolo’s covers. I mean, this is the guy who gave us this cover image—and he hand-lettered, and hand-painted (or ink-washed) all of it:

• HexHex Posts: 944
    I'll be getting my usual ridiculous amount of Marvel titles.
    But THIS is what I am most excited about...

INFINITY COUNTDOWN: DARKHAWK #1 (of 4)
    CHRIS SIMS & CHAD BOWERS (W) • GANG HYUK LIM (A)
    Cover by SKAN
    VARIANT COVER BY RON LIM
    On Earth, Chris Powell is a patrol officer with the NYPD, protecting and serving the people of New York…but out in space, he’s Darkhawk, the galaxy’s only line of defense against the return of the ancient army of the Fraternity of Raptors! Spinning out of the Infinity Countdown storyline, the ’hawk is back to fight for justice from the edge of Manhattan to the edge of the universe!s!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I can't really complain, as I am at the point with Marvel that I just wait and read things on Marvel Unlimited . . . but there are a lot of expensive single-issue (I hate the word "floppy", but, floppy) comics in May.

$5
    Avengers #1
    Venom #1
    Black Panther #1
    Infinity Countdown #3
    Infinity Countdown: Daredevil
    Mighty Thor: At The Gates of Valhalla
    X-Men Wedding Special
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi Adaptation #1
    Star Wars Annual #4

$6
    Deadpool #300
    Iron Man#600

$10 (!)- Take that Action Comics #1000
    Amazing Spider-Man #800

Again, I will just be paying my $5/month to MU and eating a lot of these up 6 to 8 months from now. But I hope the retailers make money on these, as they will be laying out a lot of capital in their Marvel orders in May.

Imagine-- this makes the $4 singles feel like the reasonably priced ones!