Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some Big Changes Coming to the Multiple CGS Award Winning Publication PREVIEWS!

Diamond has announced today some changes for those of you who read your Previews on paper. In April, the catalog divides Into two big, flipped sections.

And perhaps, more interestingly, in May, DC does the Marvel thing and starts being a separate catalogue. More below from the press release they just sent out.

I know that the Best Publication About Comics category that Previews used to dominate has fallen away over the years, but maybe the DC catalog could be an early contender for the Breakout Talent of 2018? (Sorry Tom King)
PREVIEWS Flips with New Updates in April, May Issues

April Sees New Comics Section. Flipped Toys & Merchandise, and a New Manga Section
May Features Launch of Digital Version of PREVIEWS, New Separate DC Publication

(Baltimore, MD) — (February 22, 2018) — Diamond Comic Distributors, the largest distributor of English language comics, graphic novels, and related pop culture merchandise, has announced that it will be making several changes to its PREVIEWS magazine with the April and May 2018 issues.

In the April edition of PREVIEWS, retailers and consumers will see a new combined section for print merchandise, as prose books and magazines will be merged with comics and graphic novels to create a larger print section, titled “Comics, Graphic Novels & Print.”

Following the new “Comics, Graphic Novels & Print” section will be the return of a “Manga” section, added as a result of the resurgence and growth of the genre. The new section rolls out at the same time PREVIEWS features “Manga Month” as its April catalog theme. Accordingly, the April issue will feature an essential list of manga titles for readers to pick up, interviews with manga creators, as well as a backlist stock-up sale for retailers.

Additionally, starting in April, the toys and merchandise sections will be flipped with the PREVIEWS back cover. All information regarding toys and merchandise, including new products from premier toy vendors like Diamond Select Toys, DC Collectibles, and Eaglemoss, will be easily accessible by flipping the book over and starting from the back cover.

“The April issue is jam packed with new and exciting changes!” said PREVIEWS Editor, Marty Grosser. “We’re making the comic shop’s catalog a better read for fans, as well providing a better value. Readers are truly going to flip for PREVIEWS!”

In the May edition, more changes come to PREVIEWS as upcoming titles for DC Comics will no longer be included in the PREVIEWS catalog. Instead, DC Comics will be publishing a separate DC PREVIEWS catalog which will be included free of charge, with the purchase of PREVIEWS.

“For PREVIEWS readers, that means you’ll receive a copy of PREVIEWS, DC PREVIEWS, Marvel PREVIEWS, and the Image Plus magazine—all for the price of $3.99!” commented Grosser.

May will also feature the launch of the much-anticipated digital version of PREVIEWS, available through a special PREVIEWSworld app. Each print version of PREVIEWS will include an access code for a free digital version of the catalog, and consumers can purchase digital only version of PREVIEWS from PREVIEWSworld.com. Digital pricing and additional info are set to be announced in the coming months.

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Just rubbing salt in the wounds David. Salt in the wounds
  • There was a time when Previews took TwoMorrows’s magazines out of the Comics section and put us in the Magazines section, and sales took a definite hit. They eventually let us move our magazines back to the comics section—except for BrickJournal, since it isn’t about comics. It will be nice to have all our product in one spot going forward, and I'm sure a lot of the other magazine publishers will be happy about this as well. So many customers simply stop reading Previews once they get to the end of the Comics section.

My only problem with the announcement is why on Earth are they going to charge for the digital edition? Print catalogs cost money to produce and ship, digital catalogs do not. The purpose of the catalog is solely to sell product, not to be a revenue generator in and of itself. A digital catalog—which they desperately need because the current online catalog has no covers, no preview pages, no images at all—is a cost of doing business which the print catalog already covers. Ridiculous.
  • CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited February 2018
    God I love TwoMorrows. If you sponsored podcasts you'd be the first group I'd approach. I know everyones go to is DCBS or In Stock Trades or something...but TwoMorrows? Quality every time. I've NEVER had a single person I recommended a TwoMorrows product to tell me I was wrong.

Last one I got was the Gil Kane Alter Ego issue. Back Issue was the phantom Stranger/swamp thing/etc issue.

But I JUST saw you released a back issue about Action comics weekly. Since I do/did/will do again the Action Comics Weekly podcast...I NEED to get on that posthaste!

Apologies. Ignore my gushing. Love your stuff! Keep it up!
  • So many customers simply stop reading Previews once they get to the end of the Comics section.

I'm pretty sure most customers stop reading Previews after the Image
    Saga/The Walking Dead section.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    One more bit of inside the catalog inside baseball:

Diamond has announced that Boom! and Dynamite has signed new agreements making them premiere publishers
    Diamond Ups Dynamite Entertainment, BOOM! Studios to Premier Publishers

(Baltimore, MD) — (February 23, 2018) — Diamond Comic Distributors announced today that both Dynamite Entertainment and BOOM! Studios have been promoted to Premier Publisher vendors, with both signing new publisher agreements, respectively.

The new, separate multi-year agreements feature many fresh initiatives, including Premier Publisher status in recognition of BOOM! Studios’ and Dynamite Entertainment’s success as top tier comic book and graphic novel publishers. Under the agreement, Diamond will continue to be the exclusive distributor of comic books and graphic novels to the comic book specialty market for both BOOM! Studios and Dynamite Entertainment. Diamond will also continue to handle Dynamite’s book market business through its Diamond Book Distributors (DBD) division, as well as BOOM! Studios’ international book market business, excluding the UK and Ireland, through DBD.

“This change recognizes the growth and importance of BOOM! Studios and Dynamite Entertainment to our business and the comics industry as a whole,” said Diamond VP-Purchasing, Tim Lenaghan. “We look forward to working with both publishers for many years to come to help nurture and grow the comic book specialty market.”

In April, Diamond’s PREVIEWS catalog and PREVIEWSworld.com website will showcase BOOM! and Dynamite’s new status as both companies move to the “Premier Comics” section, highlighting their new offerings to comic shop retailers and customers.

“It’s a supreme honor to advance to Premier Publisher status, and truly a reflection of both the dedication of everyone at Dynamite and the strength and success of our partnerships with creators and licensors and the comics we bring to our retailer partners and fans,” said Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. “We work shoulder-to-shoulder with amazing people and this achievement gives greater visibility to the monumental work that they do. Also, through our new agreement, we’ll coordinate with Diamond on many new ways to serve the retail community and further diversify our categories of product.”

"We're so grateful to retailers, who have supported us for years, and appreciative to Diamond for recognizing BOOM! Studios' growth,” said Founder and CEO, Ross Richie. “Becoming Premier represents a once in a lifetime opportunity for retailers and fans to discover even more amazing work our creators and partners create each and every week."
  • God I love TwoMorrows. If you sponsored podcasts you'd be the first group I'd approach. I know everyones go to is DCBS or In Stock Trades or something...but TwoMorrows? Quality every time. I've NEVER had a single person I recommended a TwoMorrows product to tell me I was wrong.

Last one I got was the Gil Kane Alter Ego issue. Back Issue was the phantom Stranger/swamp thing/etc issue.

But I JUST saw you released a back issue about Action comics weekly. Since I do/did/will do again the Action Comics Weekly podcast...I NEED to get on that posthaste!

Apologies. Ignore my gushing. Love your stuff! Keep it up!

Thanks, @CageNarleigh! Especially for spreading the word.