Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1689 Talkback - Comic Talk

Format? Where we're going, we won't NEED format! In this affably amorphous episode you'll hear highlights from Pants' Whovian holiday in sunny L.A.; more thoughts on the Black Panther movie from Pants and Shane (SPOILERS!); Murd's declassified reaction to Brian K. Vaughan's The Private Eye; TV Talk, Toy Talk, Novelization Talk, and even (who'd have guessed it?) Comic Talk! (1:13:56)

Listen here.

Comments

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    If the geeks give that last question a pass that's their call but doesn't a specific comic issue needs to be mention or referenced? Just wondering.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Glad to hear your growing admiration for Marcos Martin, @Adam_Murdough. He’s been one of my very favorites ever since I saw his work in the Robin: Year One miniseries, and I’ve picked up everything he’s done since (when he’s doing interiors at least).
  • At the end of Secret Wars, Sue, Reed, and the kids took off creating new universes to replace the ones that were destroyed.

We finally got to the bottom of the theme song lyrics controversy. It's always driven me a little nuts. Glad we're able to put that to rest.

Not so glad to hear somebody was able to muddle Murd & grab that Action Comics art though! It should've been mine! Mine, I tell ya! Mine!

edited March 2018
    Re: the Pants Cult, I must assume its members would be affectionately known as Pantaloonatics.
  • I've been listening probably not as long as most here, but every episode for the last two or three years, and I've never known the actual lyrics to the theme song- "going to La Bamba?" never sounded right- "go and turn the volume up" makes so much more sense! I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders...
  • FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    I am soooooo glad I'm not the only one who heard it as "Going to La Bamba!" It's driven me crazy for years.
  • With the controversy (?) over issue numbering, I wonder why Marvel and DC couldn't just number the issue whatever it is, and then in a box somewhere on the cover just put something like "Legacy #704"?
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

With the controversy (?) over issue numbering, I wonder why Marvel and DC couldn't just number the issue whatever it is, and then in a box somewhere on the cover just put something like "Legacy #704"?

Marvel tried that a few years ago with some books (Daredevil comes to mind) . It looks bad and if the objective is to help sales I don't think it does. Am I jumping in at the start of something or #704? It's a pain in the tail for those of us reading though.

I don't like the constant restarts every 8 to 18 months, and would love to get a long running series again. I just don't see it happening, Marvel needs a real publishing plan with a consistent vision. At least that might help us out.
    edited March 2018
    Re: Marcos Martin, I'm sure you'll be mentioning it in the next Previews episode, but the latest BKV/Martin webcomic production, Barrier, is coming out in print in May. It’s going to run five issues in a weekly, oversized format—and it is never going to be collected, so no trade waiting on this one [Edit: Misread the Previews solicitation, and it says “no plans at this time”. Being in publishing, I know what that means—“We’ll get to it eventually if there’s a demand for it”.] They're also offering the first issue at regular comic size for free on Free Comic Book Day.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868

it is never going to be collected

They said that about Private Eye too back in 2013, right up until the collection was announced in 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20131103052805/http://panelsyndicate.com/help
    Sorry, we don’t currently have plans for THE PRIVATE EYE to ever appear in print. We still love paper comics, especially the retailers who sell them, but this is something different.
    Brack said:

it is never going to be collected

They said that about Private Eye too back in 2013, right up until the collection was announced in 2015. https://web.archive.org/web/20131103052805/http://panelsyndicate.com/help
    Sorry, we don’t currently have plans for THE PRIVATE EYE to ever appear in print. We still love paper comics, especially the retailers who sell them, but this is something different.
    I remember, but there is a difference between saying "we don't currently have plans" and flat out saying "this will never be collected". Private Eye Is only available in print as a hardcover. Barrier will only be in print in this serialized format. I don't know, I always figured Private Eye would get collected eventually despite the "lack of plans". I don't get that feeling this time.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited March 2018

I remember, but there is a difference between saying "we don't currently have plans" and flat out saying "this will never be collected". Private Eye Is only available in print as a hardcover. Barrier will only be in print in this serialized format. I don't know, I always figured Private Eye would get collected eventually despite the "lack of plans". I don't get that feeling this time.

It has the same "currently no plans" caveat on the Panel Syndicate help page. And it lacks the "ever" they said about Private Eye.
    edited March 2018
    Brack said:

It has the same "currently no plans" caveat on the panel syndicate help page. And lacks the "ever" they said about Private Eye.

I misread the Previews solicitation. I could have sworn it said “never”, but it does not. I blame my progressive lens bifocals. The sweet spots in the left lens and the right lens don’t seem to quite match up. They suck for reading on my phone too. I may go old school with my next pair. Edited my previous post.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    I had a ticket to Gallifrey One, but ended up unable to go. Sounded like a good time. Maybe next year.