Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Shamed by You English?

https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-embiggen-merriam-webster/

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this since Merriam-Webster has already come to Donald Trump's rescue after his use of the word "bigly." Still, I sometimes wonder how emdumber future generations will sound the more neologisms infiltrate our lexicon.

Also, how slow of a news day was it at CBR today?

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited March 2018
    Embiggens is a great word.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Verily @mwhitt80, thou speakest the truth.

The greatest asset of the English language is its ability to evolve along with our culture.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

The greatest asset of the English language is its ability to evolve along with our culture.

I already liked you @nweathington, but you're now my new favorite forum member for using the word "verily."
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I don’t know. Word usage like “woke” instead of”socially aware” get under my skin.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    You take the good you take the bad...

I'm not a fan of the word "...splaining" in any form*, but I love the hell out of "embiggen".

* I get what it is, and I know that it happens, but just call it the ad hominem logical fallacy, willya?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I think the word “woke” is perfect in every way. For one thing, it's short. It starts with a soft consonant and ends with a hard consonant, which reflects the waking up from a dream and encountering harsh reality implications of its (newish) meaning. In other words, it conveys power—much more power than “socially aware”—which is exactly the point of the word. Just my two cents.
  • Options

I already liked you @nweathington, but you're now my new favorite forum member for using the word "verily."
    Forsooth, I don’t get to use it nearly as often as I would like.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

I myself would love for "Hey nonny nonny" to be reintroduced into the lexicon.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

I myself would love for "Hey nonny nonny" to be reintroduced into the lexicon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf_q3lhb16c
  • Options

I think the word “woke” is perfect in every way. For one thing, it's short. It starts with a soft consonant and ends with a hard consonant, which reflects the waking up from a dream and encountering harsh reality implications of its (new) meaning. In other words, it conveys power—much more power than “socially aware”—which is exactly the point of the word. Just my two cents.

I’d prefer “awaken” be used instead. I put using “woke” in the same category I put “talk to the hand,” “don’t go there,” & “that’s what I’m talkin’ about.”

It’s worse when actual adults (opposed to millennials) use the term. I’ll gladly discuss social awareness, but I cannot take the conversation seriously if “woke” is being used in the conversation.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I think the word “woke” is perfect in every way. For one thing, it's short. It starts with a soft consonant and ends with a hard consonant, which reflects the waking up from a dream and encountering harsh reality implications of its (new) meaning. In other words, it conveys power—much more power than “socially aware”—which is exactly the point of the word. Just my two cents.

I’d prefer “awaken” be used instead. I put using “woke” in the same category I put “talk to the hand,” “don’t go there,” & “that’s what I’m talkin’ about.”

It’s worse when actual adults (opposed to millennials) use the term. I’ll gladly discuss social awareness, but I cannot take the conversation seriously if “woke” is being used in the conversation.
    Catchy phrases like “talk to the hand” go in and out of fashion fairly quickly. “Woke” has been used since the ’60s. It started picking up a broader usage in 2008 with Erykah Badu’s song “Master Teacher”, and of course exploded back in 2013. And now it's beginning to evolve beyond its political/racial roots to mean more of a general, “I see what you’re doing”—often with humorous intent. So, I can’t put “woke” in the same category.

And (not trying to be a smartass) for the sake of keeping the same tense and meaning, shouldn’t it be “awakened” rather than “awaken”? I don’t care for awakened (or awaken). It’s not as powerful sounding as woke—in fact, it sounds kind of haughty—and it has spiritual/supernatural connotations (but maybe that’s because I read too much genre fiction).

You know, people have the same problem with the common Southern usage of “y’all”. But I think it’s great for distinguishing between the singular you and the plural you in certain instances when it could be otherwise confusing. You get the distinction without having to add a syllable. It might sound ignorant, but it’s actually very smart.
  • Options
    Nice to get the origins, but I’m sticking with Deputy Gerard.

https://youtu.be/VdPciselWuo
  • Options
    Matt said:

Nice to get the origins, but I’m sticking with Deputy Gerard.

Interestingly, “hinky” goes back to the 1920s (though it was then commonly spelled “hincty” then), and was also first used by black Americans (though there is another version of the word that goes back to Scotland).

If you think about it, every word was once not a real word. Just ask Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

(though it was then commonly spelled “hincty” then)

It also mostly came at night... mostly.