Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1710 Talkback - September 2018 Previews

Previews, sweet Previews! We go through the September 2018 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in November. First episode recorded in our brand-new studio space! (1:25:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited September 2018
    Cross posting from the October Solicits thread...
    I'm not finding the September thread, so dropping this here since there's still time. Dark Horse is releasing and adaptation of the William Gibson script for Alien 3.

If you haven't read it in script form, it's spectacular. Would have worked perfectly and taken away about 95% of my issues with the actual Alien 3 as an Alien 4.

If you have read it, you, hopefully, recognize it's awesomeness and are as eager to see it translated into a visual medium as I am.
  • Just to let @Adam_Murdough and @wildpigcomics know, that Vision series has been canceled before it even comes out. Nobody is really sure why, but considering Chelsea Cain dealt with harassment during her Mockingbird run, I can certainly speculate they're doing this to avoid Comicsgate and its inevitable reaction.
    “The comic book industry is made up of freelancers. I think a lot of readers don’t understand the extent of that reality,” Cain said. “Certainly any comic book by Marvel or DC, those are the work of freelancers: Colorists, inkers, pencilers, letterers, cover artists, and writers. The editors work for the company. The freelancers don’t. Maybe some of them have exclusive contracts, which means that they get a little bit more money per page, and absolutely no benefits or protections, plus they don’t get to work for anyone else — but basically, every comic you pick up has been made by someone without health insurance. But these freelancers are still expected to behave like employees. They are told what to say and when to say it… I’ve said it before, but this whole industry is a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen. It’s astonishing.”
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    hauberk said:

Cross posting from the October Solicits thread...

I'm not finding the September thread, so dropping this here since there's still time. Dark Horse is releasing and adaptation of the William Gibson script for Alien 3.

If you haven't read it in script form, it's spectacular. Would have worked perfectly and taken away about 95% of my issues with the actual Alien 3 as an Alien 4.

If you have read it, you, hopefully, recognize it's awesomeness and are as eager to see it translated into a visual medium as I am.
    Thanks @wildpigcomics ! I hadn’t had the opportunity to listen yet when I cross posted.
  • Re: Hedy Lamarr, @Adam_Murdough, the solicitation you read was entirely accurate. She and George Anthiel together created “spread spectrum” technology (they received a patent in 1941) when coming up with a way for the US military to communicate during WWII. Basically it manipulates radio waves across a broad bandwidth at irregular intervals between the transmission and reception, which makes for an virtually unbreakable code.

It was used solely in the military for many years, but eventually private communications companies picked up on it once other technological advances made it more useful and feasible for public consumption applications (like fax machines and cell phones). Spread spectrum (both direct sequence and frequency hopping) are the basis on which things like said cell phones and fax machines work. It reduces crosstalk interference, and provides better voice quality and/or data integrity, less static, built-in security, and higher transmitting power, among other things.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Re: Hedy Lamarr, @Adam_Murdough, the solicitation you read was entirely accurate. She and George Anthiel together created “spread spectrum” technology (they received a patent in 1941) when coming up with a way for the US military to communicate during WWII. Basically it manipulates radio waves across a broad bandwidth at irregular intervals between the transmission and reception, which makes for an virtually unbreakable code.

It was used solely in the military for many years, but eventually private communications companies picked up on it once other technological advances made it more useful and feasible for public consumption applications (like fax machines and cell phones). Spread spectrum (both direct sequence and frequency hopping) are the basis on which things like said cell phones and fax machines work. It reduces crosstalk interference, and provides better voice quality and/or data integrity, less static, built-in security, and higher transmitting power, among other things.

Hedy Lamarr was a fascinating lady. She was really smart inventor and had a very interesting private life (she was married to an Austrian arm manufacturer for a time).
  • Whenever there is a CGS episode which mentions Roy Thomas and Tom King, I wonder: has anyone (especially Murd) noticed that from an anthroponomastical perspective, Roy Thomas and Tom King are mirror images of each other?
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Great episode...though I had already put in my order to DCBS I definitely had second-thoughts after listening to Chris and Adam talk about what they may or may not order. Say, the pics of the new studio: where are they?
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    alienal said:

Say, the pics of the new studio: where are they?

They’re on the Twitter.