Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Episode 1716 Talkback - Comic Talk: Up, Up, and Away! Edition

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a formatless Comic Talk episode! We launch this Metropolis marvel with an account of our CGS group outing to a 40th anniversary screening of Superman: The Movie, followed by tons of TV and trailer talk and the name-dropping of some actual comic books. You will believe three Geeks can improvise! (1:32:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• PantsPants Posts: 556
    Regarding the 50th anniversary next year of Sesame Street, I’d like to point out that I was born on the day it premiered.
  • Pants said:

Regarding the 50th anniversary next year of Sesame Street, I’d like to point out that I was born on the day it premiered.

Shouldn't you be watching Matlock, old man?
  • BryanBryan Posts: 76
    Haven’t finished the episode yet, but thanks for the tip about AMC airing all the Rankin & Bass Christmas specials. All are now scheduled on my DVR on their way to my Plex server (though I had a few already).
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 3,825
    Pants said:

Geez. That would make you like a 100 or something
  • TravisTravis Posts: 29
    edited December 2018
    Shane mentioned the Kevin Smith connection. Newsaskew.com is where the show was mentioned. That's how I first found CGS. I seem to remember the first episode I listened to was Jamie D's first appearance on the show. It was perfect timing for me. I was just starting to listen to podcast and read comics.
  • DARDAR Posts: 992
    Listening to the episode I'm surprised @wildpigcomics didn't hear the news the Marvel is making a Shang-Chi film
  • @DAR, I had no idea! I would love that! Is there any way we can get Paul Gulacy to draw a live action film? ;)
  • A fine episode, sorry to hear about less sponsors, perhaps its my karmic fault for always being annoyed and skipping the sponsor segments. I also cant believe how long ago the Superman 1 v 2 debate was, feels like a yesterday.
  • DAR said:

Listening to the episode I'm surprised @wildpigcomics didn't hear the news the Marvel is making a Shang-Chi film

DAR! Many thanks for the heads-up. Suffice it to say, I am eagerly anticipating this film!

• The MST3K episode in question was Space Mutiny. That's one of my favorites from the later seasons!

https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/MST3K_820_-_Space_Mutiny
  • A funny note about Space Mutiny: it features Reb Brown of 70s Captain America movie fame :)
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,216
    Strangely enough, Man of Steel was on tv the day before we went to see Superman: The Movie 40th anniversary. I watched chucks of it leading up to the 3rd act.

Watching both of these that close to one another, I noticed there were scenes in MoS that pretty close to moments in Superman: The Movie.
  • Great episode guys....sorry to hear about the lack of sponsors. Is DCBS not sponsoring you guys anymore? Regarding the similarities....which scenes from MOS reminded you most of Superman?

• SamirDave said:

Great episode guys....sorry to hear about the lack of sponsors. Is DCBS not sponsoring you guys anymore? Regarding the similarities....which scenes from MOS reminded you most of Superman?

DCBS is still a sponsor for Previews episodes, as is tradition.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,216
    SamirDave said:

Great episode guys....sorry to hear about the lack of sponsors. Is DCBS not sponsoring you guys anymore? Regarding the similarities....which scenes from MOS reminded you most of Superman?

The key one was when Clark & jonathan we’re talking about using his powers. Jonathan even mentioned his fear of how the world would treat Clark.

Specifically sending Kal-El to Earth because of what the sun’s rays will do to him.

Clark’s decision to leave right after Jonathan dies.

Jor-El’s hologram finishing Clark’s “training”.

Saving Lois from an air craft incident.

Those are the ones that initially jumped out at me.

• mphilmphil Posts: 393
    What is the name of the special that Murd appeared in?
  • mphil said:

What is the name of the special that Murd appeared in?

It's called "The Original Christmas Specials Collection." I'm in one of the special features, a mini-documentary called "The AniMagic World of Rankin/Bass."