Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Wars Comics Best?

Just joined the forums. I started getting the new Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi. I'm back in comics after many years and reading some old faves (Amazing Spidey, Fantastic Four, Batman, Action Comics, TMNT, others) as well as some new (to me) stuff (Invincible, Peter Panzerfaust, others). My daughter and I like the Star Wars Clone Wars TV show. Among the ongoing Star Wars series, what are the better ones (if any)? Dawn seems like it's like it might take a few issues to get rolling. Thanks. Bill

Answers

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited May 2012
    Welcome to the forums!

I dropped Dawn of the Jedi pretty quick only because both my son and I enjoy reading Star wars in trades rather than single issues.

I've just started going into the back log of Star Wars titles, a lot of it because of playing SWToR.

Star Wars Legacy takes place about 125 years after the Battle of Endor and my son and I are really digging on those.

I've picked up the trades based on the SWToR game, they're ok.

Star Wars Vector was pretty good.

If you guys like Clones Wars there is plenty of stuff out there to keep you reading. My son can't get enough it.

• Options
    If you are looking at good Star Wars comics then get the Dark Empire hardcover. It contains Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II and Empire's End. Really good series. I don't know who did the colouring on those series but I hope they got an award.

In Previews this month they have the entire Crimson Empire trilogy in a single volume.

Otherwise, buy any of the Dark Horse Omnibi because you won't be disappointed.

Plus, I always loved 'Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand', and I think you can find that in one of the Omnibi, along with 'Union' if you are interested.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    The John Wagner/Cam Kennedy Boba Fett ones are really good.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    If you are looking at good Star Wars comics then get the Dark Empire hardcover. It contains Dark Empire I, Dark Empire II and Empire's End. Really good series. I don't know who did the colouring on those series but I hope they got an award.

In Previews this month they have the entire Crimson Empire trilogy in a single volume.

Otherwise, buy any of the Dark Horse Omnibi because you won't be disappointed.

Plus, I always loved 'Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand', and I think you can find that in one of the Omnibi, along with 'Union' if you are interested.

I agree on the Dark Empire stuff. That was my first foray into the expanded universe, and made me want more.
  • Options
    ravenraven Posts: 41
    legacy
    crimson empire
    tales of the jedi
    republic
    x-wing
  • Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    Anything written by John Ostrander or Tim Truman is worth reading.
  • Options
    The Legacy stuff is good.
  • Options
    RoadsignRoadsign Posts: 1
    Legacy is super, there is BOTM club episode on it in the CGS archives. Art is good, it's easy to follow and I think you can pick up the first couple trades really cheap.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I loved Dark Empire 1&2. I never read Empires End, but the first 2 were completly awesome.
  • Options
    I loved Dark Empire 1&2. I never read Empires End, but the first 2 were completly awesome.
    @mwhitt80, you should try and get the HC omnibus for Dark Empire. You can then read that entire trilogy in one neat volume.
  • Options
    cpt_safetycpt_safety Posts: 5
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. Sounds like I'll be investing in a Dark Empire Omnibus. I'll look to see what Ostrander is writing these days. I'll search now through the CGS archives for the Legacy BotM episode.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I am a fan of the Knights of the Old Republic title. It was short lived and introduced one of the few truly honest characters, Zayne Carrick. Plus Legacy offers a continuation to the untold times in the Star Wars universe, something very uncommon in a universe where most stories are told before some other major event. I tend to like to go into a story without knowing the little kid in the podracer will someday be the scourge of the Jedi.
  • Options
    @Amalgam_Man, I agree with you about reading either retelling of known stories/backstories, etc., but if it's well written, I do like a story written in the same time period as the main story that features unknown characters or characters only minimally referred to (Bothan spies who died getting the Death Star II plans... did I get that wrong? It's a trap!). Thanks for the Old Republic review. I'll look for that TP or series.
  • Options
    BTW, I noticed that Ostrander is writing the Dawn of the Jedi series I'm reading now. I'll keep reading and see where it goes while I look at some of these other titles.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I will also mention the Invasion book for anyone interested in the New Jedi Order timeline. I know the Yuzzan Vong aren't the most fan favorite, but their concept make an interesting nemesis for force users.
  • Options
    I will also mention the Invasion book for anyone interested in the New Jedi Order timeline. I know the Yuzzan Vong aren't the most fan favorite, but their concept make an interesting nemesis for force users.
    Yeah, I've met the Tom Taylor (writer) and Colin Wilson (artist) for that series a few times and they always produce cool work. Colin has worked for 2000 AD and other European comics and it shows in his art styles. These series don't really touch the main Star Wars characters but give you a good insight to what else was going on during the Vong invasion.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    If you want some humor in your Star Wars, the two Tag & Bink minis are great (and I think collected in a single volume). It's basically "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead" set in the Star Wars universe. Any time in either trilogy you see two guys just standing around looking confused? That ends up being Tag & Bink. It's funny stuff.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy, do they play 20 questions? That sounds fun. I'll check it out, too.
  • Options
    Star Wars: Tales was always a good source on interesting stories. It was an anthology title were each issue had a few stories in them and would usually take a few issues to resolve. I hope their do the omnibus treatment on that.
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    the best stuff is the Quinlan Vos stuff by Ostrander. It's set in the prequel period and does a great job of establishing characters out of a load of those Jedi that you see in the prequels. It then spins into "Dark Times" which isn't as well written but has amazingly beautiful art.

Get started with Vos' story here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Quinlan-Darkness/dp/159582555X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336655721&sr=1-1

then continue it here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Volume-Republic/dp/159582927X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336655805&sr=1-1
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm not a huge fan of the Star Wars comics as a whole. I simply like this particular franchise on the big screen or the cartoons in the case of the Clone Wars. Having said that, I have been reading "Legacy" and really enjoying it. I love the idea of seeing this franchise in the far future where all of the characters we know and love have been gone for a lot of years and seeing the next generation of characters. It's an intriguing story where all of the characters are deep and interesting and the art is amazing. Now, for something funny, I really recommend the "Tag and Bink" trade. They are incredibly funny and they taken as unseen perspectives from the trilogy and the prequels. It's very funny overall. Now, if you can find these, I would recommend the "Infinities" stories. There is one for each of the original trilogy where the story veers off in an interesting way and it's a lot of fun. It's something I still wished I had in my collection.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    @LibraryBoy, do they play 20 questions? That sounds fun. I'll check it out, too.
    "Are you mineral"
    "yes"
    "Are you a tank"
  • Options
    "Are you mineral"
    "yes"
    "Are you a tank"
    Now when is that third movie coming out?