Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The 2020 Reading Thread — The April “No New Comics Doesn’t Mean There Aren’t Comics to Read” Edition

Hi, friends. If you’re like me, and I know I am, you’re stuck at home with (relatively) little to do. No work, no hanging out with friends, no dinners out with the family... you know what I’m talking about. So what will you turn to in this time of potential boredom and stagnation? What can possibly keep you going, give you the will to keep on living? More quality time with the kids? Sure, I guess, if that’s your thing. But, no, I’m talking about the Good Funny Book. No, not—comics! I’m talking about comics! Jeez.

Annnyway, let’s all take this big, fat lemon Life has thrown at us and make a big ol’ batch of sweet, sweet lemonade. I mean, I like lemons as much as the next guy, so no offense to lemons, but lemonade is so much better, amiright? Catch up on that stack(s) of books you’ve been falling further and further behind on. Or just pull out some old classics and lose yourself in nostalgia. Do both for all I care. It’s not like you have anything better to do. Okay, okay, you probably do have something better to do, but c’mon, live a little. What’s it gonna hurt?

So... I guess that about wraps this up... I should probably end this with something inspirational or something... uhm...

Go Team Comics! Yeah, that should do it.

Rules
Log everything you've read this year. Just edit your existing post or you (and we) will get confused trying to keep up. At the end of each month, I'll start a new thread and you can pick a "winner" from your favorite books. You can focus on just trades, or just write about the good stuff you've read.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited April 2020
    January Winner: Black Badge #6-12
    February Winner: Protector #1
    March Winner: Two Brothers GN

April Books
    Escapo OGN
    Grunt: The Art and Unpublished Comics of James Stokoe
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955 — Burning Season
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1956 #1-5
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: The Beast of Vargu
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Long Night at Goloski Station
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Saturn Returns #1-3
    Howard the Duck #3, 6
    I Hate Fairyland #19-20
    Isola #6-10
    Lark’s Killer #10
    Legion of Super-Heroes #3-5
    Marvels Snapshots: Fantastic Four
    Marvels Snapshots: Sub-Mariner
    Middlewest #2-16
    Multiversity #2
    Red One #1
    Samurai Grandpa #2-4
    Spider-Gwen #11-34
    Steven Universe: Harmony TP
    Strangers in Paradise XXV #5-10
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6-26
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe! OGN
  • sharkjumper2sharkjumper2 Posts: 38
    edited April 2020
    January Winner: Jeanne & Modigliani: Paris in the Dark (2018)
    February Winner: Bowie: Stardust, Rayguns & Moonage Daydreams (2020) (Light on story but the Allred's best work of their 30 years)
    March Winner: Strange Adventures #1 (2020)

I've been getting plenty of reading done lately. I'm still working, on our third week of teaching from home, and am glad to still be getting a paycheck. The school next to us sacked everyone last week. Other friends who sub have been told they are no longer needed this year. We intend to teach with Zoom to probably the end of the school year. I've been self isolating for years so this new "normal" isn't that bad. Dare I say, I'm might be thriving. My commute is now 10 seconds, I still check in with family and friends via Facebook and Zoom, and I've maintained a schedule and have been productive. The only thing I hope to change is MAKING comics. I've been lagging on my art but recently dusted off the drafting table and started back at my publishing goals for 2020.

As for reading, I still have a few new comics to get to. I'm knee-deep in a couple of the Marvel Essential books with the goal of using this Shelter-in-Place to tackle some of the other Essential books and take on the early building blocks of the Marvel Universe (X-Men, Avengers, Nova, Spidey, FF). I've still got some art-related graphic novels to attend to and a sizable reading pile of books of graphic novels, art books, and more.

March Reads

Graphic Novels, Collections, etc.
    Brief Histories of Everyday Objects (2016)
    Cats of the Louvre (2019)
    Essential Silver Surfer Vol. 1 (1998)
    Le Major (Moebius) (2018)
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    edited May 2020
    January Winner: Strange Planet
    February Winner: Giant Sized X-Men: Jean Grey & Emma Frost #1
    March Winner: Undone by Blood or The Shadow of a Wanted Man - Really Enjoyable western / crime book. Sadly will be a while before we can read the rest of the miniseries.

April Books:
    Lazarus Risen #4
    Die Vol. 2

Older books:
    Rat Queens: Web Comics
    Tyler Cross: Black Rock
    The New Frontier (I know, shame on me for not reading it sooner. Finally made it a priority so I could read it before listening to the latest episode. All that I can say is wow.)
    Good Night Paradise #1-6
    Sentient #1-6
    Unnatural Vol. 1-3
    Immortal Hulk Vol. 2
    Curse Words Vol. 1
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Awwpril reading list

Knows of the dinner table 150-161