Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cameos before first FULL appearances?

So its well known that Wolverine appeared in Incredible Hulk #180 (last page, last splash) before making his first full appearance in Hulk #181 the following month. Hulk 181s are worth at least 5 times their #180 counterparts.

Red Sonja's first appearance is in Conan the Barbarian #23, and her first full appearance is credited in Conan #24.

Can people name some other well known examples of key characters first appearances occurring before their hobby accepted first FULL appearance?

Best Answers

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Answer ✓
    I think there were little bits or parts of Venom that appeared before his full reveal. And I believe to those who collect, those little glimpses are worth less.

And, though this is even more of a minor character, but I remember there were glimpses of Doomsday before he was revealed. ("THOOM! THOOM! THOOM!" Or something like that.)
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Answer ✓
    Alpha flight made a cameo in X-Men 120 before appearing fully in X-Men 121.
  • Options
    seb_pinterseb_pinter Posts: 50
    Answer ✓
    I think Gambit cameo'd in Uncanny X-Men annual 14 before his first full appearance in #266. Onslaught was name checked in about 1 million x-comics before finally appearing...
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Answer ✓
    I think Gambit cameo'd in Uncanny X-Men annual 14 before his first full appearance in #266. Onslaught was name checked in about 1 million x-comics before finally appearing...
    That one's a tricky one. It's not really quite the same as the others. For instance Wolverine. Wolverine had his big introduction on the last page of Hulk 180 and then the story continued into 181. Gambit was in Uncanny Annual 14 and it wasn't really a last page cameo, he was a regular character in the story and I remember buying that issue and being confused wondering who that guy was. Uncanny 266 is considered his first appearance and was probably planned to be his first appearance, but I'm guessing the annual got released earlier than planned (I know there was also a snafu on that annual storyline where Parts 2 and 3 were reversed on the covers).

So overall, I guess that would count for this even if it isn't quite the same thing.

Answers

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Mary Jane Watson appeared in ASM#25 but her face wasn't shown.
    She had to wait another 17 issues to get a full panel and deliver her signature line.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    The Venom one lines up since it was ASM #299= Cameo of Brock as Venom, but 300 was first full appearance. The 299 goes for about 1/5th the price of the full appearance in #300, similar to the Incredible Hulk ratio for wolverine.

And most people point to #300 as the key issue

interesting... others?
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    Bloodshot appeared in Eternal Warrior 4 on the last page (cameo), and his first full appearance is recognized as Rai 0, which came out a couple weeks later.

I always thought that Red Sonja's appearance in Conan 23 was a full appearance. I don't have the issue though, it is just my impression (I do have 24 though, the cover is much better :) )
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Bloodshot appeared in Eternal Warrior 4 on the last page (cameo), and his first full appearance is recognized as Rai 0, which came out a couple weeks later.
    Valiant did that a few times, didn't they? I remember there was some sax player in the background of a book (XO, maybe?) who was soon revealed to be the guy who became Shadowman.

• Options
    DarthKramerDarthKramer Posts: 60
    Squadron Sinister appeared on the last page of Avengers #69 and their first appearance is credited as Avengers #70.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    Cable's first was New Mutants 87 with a cameo in 86 if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    The Punisher first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #129
  • Options
    Cable's first was New Mutants 87 with a cameo in 86 if I remember correctly.
    Sorta.... I suppose that one could fall into the category, but if I recall correctly, it was the next issue box at the end of 86 rather than an actual appearance like some of these others. I haven't read all of them, but one that I have read and can remember off the top of my head is Incredible Hulk 180 where Wolverine appears on an in-story page at the end of the story. If I'm wrong though and it was an in story appearance for Cable, then just yank out my toenails or something.*

And if you're going with retcons, Uncanny X-Men 201 is his first appearance anyway.

*For example purposes only. Please don't rip out my toenails as it sounds very painful.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited May 2012
    Isn't Apocalypse cameoed on the last page of Uncanny X Men 211 a few months before his first appearance in XFactor?
  • Options
    Valiant did that a few times, didn't they? I remember there was some sax player in the background of a book (XO, maybe?) who was soon revealed to be the guy who became Shadowman.
    Yup! Jack Boniface was the sax player in the background when Aric met Harada in New Orleans in X-O Manowar #4. Jack them became Shadowman shortly after.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Yup! Jack Boniface was the sax player in the background when Aric met Harada in New Orleans in X-O Manowar #4. Jack them became Shadowman shortly after.

Plus didn't Ninjak have a cameo first appearence in an issue of Bloodshot?
  • Options
    He had his first appearance in Bloodshot (number 6, if I remember right), but it was a full appearance, more than just a cameo, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    He had his first appearance in Bloodshot (number 6, if I remember right), but it was a full appearance, more than just a cameo, if I remember correctly.

Yeah I checked it and Ninjak appears in most of the issue,but isn't in his costume.

• Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    How about The Monitor? He had a bunch of pre-COIE appearances, albeit in shadow.
  • Options
    I like the Gambit and Alpha Flight answers, they fit my conditions...

Im woefully ignorant about Valliant... (or maybe thats a good thing...)
  • Options
    Isn't Apocalypse cameoed on the last page of Uncanny X Men 211 a few months before his first appearance in XFactor?
    He made a cameo in X-Factor 5 before his first full appearance in X-Factor 6 if that's what you're thinking of.
  • Options
    gavigavi Posts: 41
    That one's a tricky one. It's not really quite the same as the others. For instance Wolverine. Wolverine had his big introduction on the last page of Hulk 180 and then the story continued into 181. Gambit was in Uncanny Annual 14 and it wasn't really a last page cameo, he was a regular character in the story and I remember buying that issue and being confused wondering who that guy was. Uncanny 266 is considered his first appearance and was probably planned to be his first appearance, but I'm guessing the annual got released earlier than planned (I know there was also a snafu on that annual storyline where Parts 2 and 3 were reversed on the covers).

So overall, I guess that would count for this even if it isn't quite the same thing.
    yep, that's what happened. wasn't intentional, just happened cause of publication date being moved up.
  • Options

:-? interesting...