Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New 52 Dissection

13»

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Sword of Sorcery is the least-inspired title since Justice League Dark. :-&

If it's supposed to be a counterpart to All-Star Western, how about All-Star Fantasy?

Let's hope it's more Sword of the Atom than Sword of Atlantis.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I might give Team Seven a try, if or when they add Marc Slayton, Jackson Dane and most importantly Michael Cray to the roster.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Sword of Sorcery is the least-inspired title since Justice League Dark. :-&

If it's supposed to be a counterpart to All-Star Western, how about All-Star Fantasy?

Let's hope it's more Sword of the Atom than Sword of Atlantis.
    Yeah. Sword of Sorcery sounds like a placeholder that somehow made it into production. Yikes.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Agreed...I think they'd do better with just calling it "Amethyst" and have a blurb or burst highlighting the Beowulf/Grendel backup story.

Then again...Amethyst is in it...they can call it "Catfood Sandwich" and I'll still be picking it up.
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    edited June 2012
    Can't wait for that new Phantom Stranger book!

I'm reading Batman, Detective, Batman & Robin, Batwing, Batgirl, Batman Inc., Savage Hawkman, Aquaman, Earth 2, Supergirl, World's Finest and Nightwing.

Edit* - And Justice League, of course.

Just gave up on Superman, Dark Knight and Flash. The art on Flash was amazing but I just don't like the stories. There are quite a few other New 52 titles I like, but I don't really have time to leisurely read more than a few new books a week in addition to old stuff I'm reading, and I hate just blowing through them.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Until this reboot I have never collected any Batman title with any regularity. Now i find myself with a ridiculous stack of Dc and batman in partuicular.

Batman
    Batgirl
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Nightwing
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Dial H
    Earth 2
    Green Lantern
    Justice League
    Justice League International

and thanks in large part to DCBS' bundling

Before Watchmen: Minutemen
    Before Watchmen: Ozymandias
    Before Watchmen: Nite Owl
    Before Watchmen: Rorschach
    Before Watchmen: The Comedian
    Before Watchmen: Dr. manhattan
    Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre

boy. that looks like a lot and i'm not even mentioning Marvel or the independents. I may need some help. Is the site obligated to provide the number of an addiction hotline?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sword of Sorcery is the least-inspired title since Justice League Dark.
    Sword of Sorcery was a DC title in the ’70s—and it was actually pretty good even though it only lasted five issues. It had art by Chaykin, Simonson, and Starlin. The title sounds kind of lame, but it made sense at the time, because it featured Fritz Lieber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, who appeared in such short story collections as Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, Swords in the Mist, etc. It goes back to the thread about National Comics, where DC is reviving titles that maybe shouldn’t be revived. They had a—again, short-lived—Beowulf title in the ’70s as well, but I’ve never read it.

As for Phantom Stranger, I have a big problem with the statement that they’ll be exploring his origin. As much as I loved the issue of Secret Origins that told his “origin,” it was as much because of the fact that they gave him three possible origins as it was that the stories were all very good. He’s the Phantom Stranger, not the Phantom. They’ve already screwed that up for the Unknown Soldier, no need to do it again.

Still getting: Action (though I may be dropping soon), Aquaman, Batwoman, Catwoman (as long as March is drawing it; I skip the issues he’s not), and now Batman, Inc., Dial H, and Earth 2.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Sword of Sorcery is the least-inspired title since Justice League Dark.
    Sword of Sorcery was a DC title in the ’70s—and it was actually pretty good even though it only lasted five issues. It had art by Chaykin, Simonson, and Starlin. The title sounds kind of lame, but it made sense at the time, because it featured Fritz Lieber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, who appeared in such short story collections as Swords and Deviltry, Swords Against Death, Swords in the Mist, etc. It goes back to the thread about National Comics, where DC is reviving titles that maybe shouldn’t be revived. They had a—again, short-lived—Beowulf title in the ’70s as well, but I’ve never read it.
    Chaykin, Simonson and Starlin! How the heck did I miss this?
    As for Phantom Stranger, I have a big problem with the statement that they’ll be exploring his origin. As much as I loved the issue of Secret Origins that told his “origin,” it was as much because of the fact that they gave him three possible origins as it was that the stories were all very good. He’s the Phantom Stranger, not the Phantom. They’ve already screwed that up for the Unknown Soldier, no need to do it again.
    Right there with you, "N".

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Yeah, there was nothing in the DCnU 3rd wave that really piqued my interest. Maybe the Phantom Stranger until I saw Dan Didio was writing it.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    Does anyone else get a strong 90s vibe from a lot of the new 52 books? Its just another thing thats been getting to me about the books, made worse of course by me re-reading old DC trades lately and enjoying them a lot more.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm really curious about the Amethyst revival, but the whole "back-up story by..." deal sounds like it'll be another $3.99 book. So yeah, the internet's excited about it, but will enough people who aren't involved in online comics chatter going to be curious enough to drop 4 bucks on it? I know it makes me reconsider it.
  • Options
    Dave2099Dave2099 Posts: 61
    I might give Phantom Stranger a shot... I actually like the idea of him actually being Judas Iscariot. Plus, Captain Atom got the axe, so I'm down a book.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm really curious about the Amethyst revival, but the whole "back-up story by..." deal sounds like it'll be another $3.99 book. So yeah, the internet's excited about it, but will enough people who aren't involved in online comics chatter going to be curious enough to drop 4 bucks on it? I know it makes me reconsider it.
    As I've mentioned before, I buy for the character as much as the creator, and I loved Amethyst back in the day. This would be one of the books that I'd make the $4 exception for, just to help send DC the news that I want more like this and not yet another Bat title.