Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New 52 Dissection

We need a thread to continue the DCNU talk.

Here it is.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited March 2012
    I'll start:

Action #7 was a giant step back in the right direction.

The last two were way too stereotypically Morrissony for me.

I really like the fact that Superman called General Lane "Sir."*

*Some really old-timers on the forums will remember why.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    I've cut down what I'm getting a lot. as of now I'm only getting:

Batman
    Aquaman
    Animal Man
    The Flash
    Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman

I want to read more, but I just don't have the money.
  • Options
    Just read Wonder Woman #7.

Best WW comic I've ever read.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Right now my regular monthly DCnU reading is:

Batman
    Demon Knights
    Aquaman
    Supergirl

Supergirl I just added. It's really good. Kara's last re-start was very awkwardly mishandled, and it took them quite a while to really get a good idea of who she was, but even then she was still kind of bland, so this was one of the reboots that felt like it really needed to happen. I especially enjoy the idea that she is being thrust into her current situation on Earth without any real idea of what's going on other than she needs to use her new powers to fight to survive. She hasn't even learned English yet!

I plan on catching up with Action, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, and Animal Man in collections. Maybe Catwoman, too, but I'm not so sure. The first few issues were grimy guilty pleasures, but that soon lost its luster (such as it was).
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Right now my regular monthly DCnU reading is:
    Superman
    Action Comics
    Batman
    Batwoman
    Justice League
    Justice League International

Dropped or very soon to be dropped
    Catwoman dropped this week
    All Star Western next week
    Swamp Thing after issue 8
    Batgirl dropped after issue 6
    Batman & Robin after issue 8

Will be picking up soon:
    Superman Family Adventures
    Smallville Season 11

Vertigo
    Fables
    Fairest
    American Vampire in HCs only

Matthew
  • Options
    FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    I'm on the verge of dropping Grifter which pains me as he is my favourite Wildstorm character. I've been enjoying Superboy especially since it's been the place to find Wildstorm characters being integrated into the DCnu, #7 had a cameo by Fuji that I geeked out for. Justice League Dark and I,Vampire are slowly becoming my two favourite titles. They are creeping up on Batman and Action Comics.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Currently reading (with no plans to stop):

Wonder Woman - I've always *liked* WW, but never enough to regularly want to read her book. That's changed now. This book is awesome.

Aquaman - What I said above about WW? That applies here as well.

Demon Knights - Holy crap this book came out of left field and is now my favorite of the New 52 books. I never thought I'd say that about a book with both the Demon AND Vandal Savage in it, but there it is. And it looks BEAUTIFUL digitally.

Resurrection Man - Loving this book, but I loved the original series as well.

Supergirl - I'm with Library Boy. While I liked Gates/Igle's take on Kara, in that I like all things SG-related, they really blanded her up...and Kara shouldn't be bland. I'm loving this new take on her.

Legion of Super-Heroes - While it didn't give me the jumping on point I was hoping for, I've really been enjoying this series. I think it'll be trade-only for me, though.

Teen Titans - ditto this series. Like it, but it'll be trade-only.

So the best way to sum up the New 52? Other than SG and TT, it has me reading and excited about characters I never thought I'd be excited about before. I mean, when was the last time you were excited to see the next issue of Aquaman? Honestly? :)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Currently reading (with no plans to stop):

Wonder Woman - I've always *liked* WW, but never enough to regularly want to read her book. That's changed now. This book is awesome.
    Wonder Woman had a comic? All this time I thought she was a lunchbox.
    All snark aside, I'm actually really excited to read this when it comes out in HC. I've heard nothing but good things. I never thought I'd say that about about a Wonder Woman book.
  • Options
    Wonder Woman had a comic? All this time I thought she was a lunchbox.
    All snark aside, I'm actually really excited to read this when it comes out in HC. I've heard nothing but good things. I never thought I'd say that about about a Wonder Woman book.
    While I'm happy that Animal Man, Swamp Thing & Constantine are back in the DCU where they belong (and dare I wish.. The Endless?), nudging Wonder Woman into Vertiginous territory was a brilliant move.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title? I really am liking his character.
  • Options
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title?
    Because DC has so far failed to develop a black hero into an "A-lister". They had the opportunity with John Stewart, who through the animated Justice League was many people's "real" Green Lantern, but TPTB wanted Hal Jordan back, and TPTB got Hal Jordan back.

They're giving Cyborg heavy exposure now, and trying to make him an "A-lister". If it works, I'm sure they'll give him his own book.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I like getting books through comiXology because I now have a two-tiered pull list. I immediately buy Demon Knights, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. I had been waiting a month to buy Omac and Mr. Terrific, but now those are leaving I'm going to bump Captian Atom and Resurrection Man down to that level. (I still enjoy them, but I'm not as excited as I was before.) If Action Comics was cheaper I'd be buying it right away, but for now I'll wait that extra month.
    I loves me some cheap comics.
  • Options
    In the case of Demon Knights, I view it as voting with my dollars. Let's be honest, fellow readers, comics are probably more cutthroat now than they've ever been, and if you find a title you truly like, there's really only one way to support it, and that's to buy it.
  • Options
    In the case of Demon Knights, I view it as voting with my dollars. Let's be honest, fellow readers, comics are probably more cutthroat now than they've ever been, and if you find a title you truly like, there's really only one way to support it, and that's to buy it.
    So are you saying that Marvel & DC are running a protection racket?

"That's a nice continuity we got there. It'd be a shame if there was to be a reboot."

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

"That's a nice continuity we got there. It'd be a shame if there was to be a reboot."

Ha! Nicely done, man.

• Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Right now I get four DC books via DCBS monthly:

Legion of Super-Heroes
    Legion Lost
    Legion: Secret Origin
    Legion/Star Trek
    (once the two minis end I will be replacing them with Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest)

Everything else I am buying digitally on comiXology. Currently I am getting only four titles (a month late):
    Action Comics
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Justice League
    Justice League International

However as the first arcs end I will be jumping around to other titles because they aren't going away and there will be enough of a back log for me to pick up several issues of a title. "On bat" I have:

Nightwing
    OMAC
    All-Star Western
    Demon Knights
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    The only ones I'm getting now are

Batman
    Detective
    Batgirl
    and Teen Titans

I decided to drop Justice League when Jim Lee took an issue or 2 off for 7 and I think 8 and the story just hasn't grabbed me enough to get back on. Maybe if you all tell me how great it is I'll check it out.

I'm not excited about The Culling or Court of Owls either, but only because that will hurt financially. I might have to just hold off on trades or dollar bins for most of them.
  • Options

Well, sure, but that's been true of just about every book I've enjoyed...

"Man this (Mazing Man/Arion/Amethyst/Omega Men/Atari Force/Skye Runner/Sovereign Seven/Demon Knights) is awesome! I'm gonna be reading this for YEARS to come....what? Oh, they cancelled it? For what? To make way for another Batman title? Aw crap!"

• Options
    my pull list:

action comics
    animal man
    batman
    justice league

after it's first arc just ended i dropped demon knights (and aquaman, however it wasn't on pull list, but i was grabbing it off shelf each week it came out), but am eagerly awaiting the next issues of these to drop in price on comixology. i love my kindle fire. i may drop all besides batman from my pull list over the next few months. i have one other title, non-dc new 52, on pull list, so hopefully two titles on pull is enough... i'll have to check on that.

i also eagerly await on comixology (for the price drop) swamp thing.

i'm also getting caught up with batwing, green lantern, wonder woman, and stormwatch.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    My DC list is basically my entire pull list which include:
    Batman
    Batgirl
    Batman and Robin
    Nightwing
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern: The New Guardians
    Superman
    Justice League

Not sure what I should add as my tenth book. I usually get 10 books a month which has been cut since Tiny Titans just ended and I will probably add the Superman Adventures soon. Or I might get either Earth 2 or Worlds' Finest. Not 100% sure.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    oh and I aslo ordered that set of the new #1's from DC because I wanted to see Batman Inc and I have an old G.I. Combat from 77 or so so I thought it would be neat to have the new one. then i figured i'm already up to about 7 bucks of comics why not go 3 more and get the other 4 books
  • Options
    i just thought of something while skimming over this article at bleeding cool about dan didio.

in light of the reboot/relaunch, Final Crisis was final. thoughts?
  • Options
    in light of the reboot/relaunch, Final Crisis was final. thoughts?
    Hmmmm...

So in the DCNU, they'll be called something else?

Bad Thing on Two Worlds?

Infinite Unpleasantness?

Countdown to Final Inconvenience?
  • Options
    final in that continuity that has now ended, right? well, there's always pandora.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Im about to receive my last Batgirl book in this months DCBService delivery... Very Sad. Went from such heights with Bryan Q Miller's great run with Stephanie to this.... The stories are ok and if the art was too I'd give it a pass just cause I love Babs (and cant handle this latest incarnation of the Birds of Prey so I gotta get my Ginger some where).... but the art is just so distractingly not working for me...

I'm still getting:
    Batman (top of the stack)
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps (my favorite GL right now)
    and Green Lantern Emerald Warrior (despite my dislike of Kyle, its being done well)

I've also dropped of Action Comics (moving to either trade or digital)... and that's it. All Star Western & Demon Knight are being read digitally as well... still cant believe Im taking a break from Batgirl...
  • Options
    still cant believe Im taking a break from Batgirl...
    If she really loves you, she'll still be there when you get back. ;)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Had to give @Miraclemet the agree for Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl, which for my money is one of the greatest casualties of the relaunch.
  • Options
    Thirded on replacing Steph. She was great in that role. One of the things I really DON'T like about the New 52.
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited March 2012
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title? I really am liking his character.
    Why is cyborb the only justice leaguer with out his own title?
    Because DC has so far failed to develop a black hero into an "A-lister". They had the opportunity with John Stewart, who through the animated Justice League was many people's "real" Green Lantern, but TPTB wanted Hal Jordan back, and TPTB got Hal Jordan back.

They're giving Cyborg heavy exposure now, and trying to make him an "A-lister". If it works, I'm sure they'll give him his own book.
    @PeanutButterMustache, @WetRats:

I could see a team-up with Cyborg and Mr. Terrific down the road. Add in Karen Star and now you got an interesting triangle for drama, conflict and maybe a little romance?