Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Justice League movie possibility?

Man of Steel comes out in 2013. The speculation about whether or not Bale would show up in a JL movie isn't a consideration... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830/ is the link to the IMDB Batman REBOOT in 2015, which means whoever they cast for that will likely be the one they'd want to choose for the JL movie... if there is one.

I left a voice mail on this but with you guys pulling farther away from when I left it, I decided to post it here on the forums.

Just thought I'd drop this in for consideration.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I think it'll happen, but they'll take their time with it.

Almost refreshing it that happens. I hate it when execs just jump all over the new hotness.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    even though i haven't watched hardly any of the animated stuff (movies and tv), it seems like they're making it work there, so why not promote those creators to live-action?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Question: Why are they already organising a Batman reboot? This series was awesome and should be allowed to stand for a good long time. Okay now I'm PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We haven't even gotten the final Nolan film yet. Damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I have to believe someone at DC has noticed how successful The Avengers has been. If Marvel's ability to knock a team movie out of the park doesn't fuel the competitive fire nothing will.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Question: Why are they already organising a Batman reboot? This series was awesome and should be allowed to stand for a good long time. Okay now I'm PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's old news actually. I'm fine with it, personally. Nolan has said that after this one his story was done and he was finished with Batman. WB isn't going to let a cash cow like the Batman franchise sit around not making money so you know full well there's going to be another movie. I'd rather have them start all over than mess up Nolan's story.

And as a side note, when I first found out about this was the same time I took my guess that Batman is going to die at the end of this next movie. I personally think it's the perfect ending. Batman is not Superman or Spider-Man or what have you. Batman is a tragic figure and the logical ending is for him to die, but that can't happen anywhere else because he needs to be kept alive and making money in perpetuity. And if WB trusts Nolan enough to do his full story the way he wants to, I'd like to see that happen and if they're going to reboot the franchise anyway, why not? And then they have the perfect opportunity to reboot and make a more JLA-friendly Batman. My only fear is that in trying to make him more JLA-friendly, they may take away everything about him that works. But even if they do, it won't piss on Nolan's Batman anyway because this is a different Batman.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    WB has got to be kicking themselves silly for killing their previous Justice League project from a few years ago midway through production.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159

my thoughts exactly, minus all the exclamation points. ;)

i don't think the Batman "reboot" is set in stone..but it would have to be rebooted if they wanted to fit him in a larger movie continuity, i feel. or maybe they could shoehorn Nolan's Batman into the Superman movie universe, since Nolan's involved too.

if i was DC, yeah, KILL this Batman and have someone else take up the mantle... the movies don't have to perfectly mimic or reference the comics, as long as the general feel and integrity of the property is intact.
  • Options
    oh. and DC shouldn't rush this just because the Avengers turned out awesome. the last thing they should do is to churn out movies one after another just to get a JLA movie going. take your time, get the right people on board (those who really care about the property) and things will fall into place.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    more ideas here at den of geek.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've maintained this for some time - you gather the board together - you give each of them a copy of Mark Waid's Justice League - Year One. You tell them "that's your template".

Manhunter - Lantern - Flash - Canary - Aquaman - 2nd tier characters who all have personal motivations for doing what they do. Showcase the human side of these people (Canary trying to get out of her mom's shadow, Aquaman trying to figure out how to live on the surface world, etc.)

Instead of following the Marvel route (all the individual movies contribute to a whole), you do the reverse - one great movie out of which could potentially spring five great individual movies.

You want Bats and Superman in a movie together? Make "World's Finest".

I'm also with demonbear - take your time and don't rush to put one out just because Avengers did what it did.
  • Options
    i like the idea of the "Year One" thing, but that might be too much of a hard sell.. people WILL compare it to Avengers, and immediately ask where the big guns are...

• Options
    edited May 2012
    i hope they get the ball rolling with Superman, then maybe Wonder Woman, as they are most recognizable. then maybe have a 2nd GL movie or Flash...

much as i'm a Marvel geek, i'm rooting for DC to pick up the gauntlet and succeed like Marvel, in the movie universe department...

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The Justice League will consist of Batman (coming off three intense and gritty Nolan films), Green Lantern (coming off a not-very-good, disposable popcorn flick), Wonder Woman (who most of the viewing public hasn't thought about since the cheesy 70s TV show), and Superman (last seen in an underwhelming movie that didn't even warrant a sequel), and a handful of other characters like Flash and Green Arrow that non-comic people will need to get used to. I see a JLA movie as at least a 10-year project, and one which will need to be preceded by several movies that set up a consistent tone and cohesive universe. The chances of Warner pulling that off are slim, given their spotty track record.
  • Options
    The Justice League will consist of Batman (coming off three intense and gritty Nolan films), Green Lantern (coming off a not-very-good, disposable popcorn flick), Wonder Woman (who most of the viewing public hasn't thought about since the cheesy 70s TV show), and Superman (last seen in an underwhelming movie that didn't even warrant a sequel), and a handful of other characters like Flash and Green Arrow that non-comic people will need to get used to. I see a JLA movie as at least a 10-year project, and one which will need to be preceded by several movies that set up a consistent tone and cohesive universe. The chances of Warner pulling that off are slim, given their spotty track record.
    I've never thought that Batman should be in the JLA to begin with. The Outsiders is more of a group he would use. JLA is just too in the open for the idea of Batman. All the Marvel guys are in the open but it never seems to fly for me (Okay, I'll admit that Black Widow (who is my favourite character) should be doing more covert stuff than out in the open, but I think she fit in Avengers).
  • Options
    I know it's a very different team, but the non-comic reading public didn't know who any of the X-Men were, except for maybe Wolverine, but he wasn't exactly a household name, but that movie still did good. And I think your "last seen" for Superman needs to be put in a stasis lock until The Man of Steel comes out. Since Nolan is involved (even if it is only producer), I'm expecting something good, but the fact remains that we haven't seen it yet and it could be anything from a movie as amazing as Avengers or The Dark Knight to something as terrible as Catwoman or Batman and Robin. Also Green Arrow does have a TV series debuting in the fall. Just like with The Man of Steel, we haven't seen it yet, but if it's popular enough, it could make him more well known.

In a nutshell though, I really don't think they need 10 years to set it up. Avengers came out only 4 years after the first Iron Man movie, but before Iron Man, the only character on the Avengers with any sort of "household name" level appeal was the Hulk and his last movie (at the time, which would be the Ang Lee one - which I really liked I should point out) tanked in the box office. JLA already has a big step up on that just by virtue of having Superman and Batman in the same movie. That alone would draw in a good chunk of the general non-comic-buying populace (assuming the movie was actually any good).
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    If they are gonna do a JLA movie I'm sure they would put a teaser or something at the end of MOS. They need to do a Flash movie first though. I have no idea how they would incorporate Wonder Woman though. Right now the problem with a JLA movie being made is not the characters but the world. Marvel had a world built before the Avengers movie so it was a smooth watch without too much back up story. Perhaps they could set this up in MOS and a possible Green Lantern sequel and another individual movie (hoping for the Flash).
  • Options
    I think running a TV show, switching between each of the characters of the Justice League, until after a 2 or 3 season run, launch an official Justice League movie using the characters they've built on in the TV show. They can call it "Justice," or "League," or something... maybe Icons.

Henry Cavill will be a great Superman... Ryan Reynolds doesn't make a good GL, but if they make a sequel, then at least we're getting something... Batman's reboot personality will be fine, not as good as Nolan's, and we'll need a Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, and Aquaman debut before DC and Warner Brothers will try anything, though.
  • Options
    Do you think they will use Cyborg instead of MM? Now that they are trying to streamline the comic books with the movies it makes sense. Maybe they will use both but I doubt it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Do you think they will use Cyborg instead of MM? Now that they are trying to streamline the comic books with the movies it makes sense. Maybe they will use both but I doubt it.
    No doubt.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2012
    I think a Spidey reboot was too soon. For some reason, I don't feel the same with Nolan's Batman. It might be because he got to do a beginning, middle, & end, whereas Raimi's movies didn't. I still don't think Batman should die at the end of DKR. The average movie-goer isn't on top of things to understand a reboot (I still get asked if Batman Begins is a prequel movie to Tim Burton's Batman.) Having said that, if he dies at the end of this one, THAT will be the last thought people will have when the next one comes out.

People do the same with sports players all the time; if a sports star flounders in a playoff game, Sports Talk Radio is flooded with calls to "trade the overpaid bum!" The floundering is the last thing they saw.

As for this movie, I agree don't rush it to have it. WB will just fuck it up & Marvel will be laughing while we're pissed they blew it. I like the idea of working Batman & Superman into the movie, but including the rest of the team in the JLA movie vs their own. If a MM movie fails, than the studio will begin to question moving forward. I'd stick more with the origin episodes for the Justice League cartoon. It starts with the heavy hitters, than introduces the rest.

M
  • Options
    I'm one of the few that didn't think the Green Lantern movie was a complete waste. I enjoyed it. It's actually in my iTunes, too. Having said that, DC needs to stop rebooting and rebooting the Superman and Batman franchises and start working on the rest.

Wonder Woman needs a movie. Or a TV show... but not the turd that they were working on. That was God awful.

Aquaman is one of the few DC heroes who hasn't been seen anywhere outside of Smallville. Flash has at least had a semi-tolerable TV series...

I think using Cyborg would be a great idea.

As for the rest of DC, their main heroes can't be put on the screen because they spend too much time on side project properties... just do the main heroes. Does the writer you hired do justice to the character? No? Fire him, hire another. DC: GET IT RIGHT.

Having said that, if I see one more Batman origin movie, I'm going to choke a sucka.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Having said that, if I see one more Batman origin movie, I'm going to choke a sucka.
    I think I read this wrong.
  • Options
    I'm saying I am tired or seeing Batman origins. And Superman origins, to be honest with you.

If you're just going to reboot it, why show me YET ANOTHER origin?
  • Options
    If they are gonna do a JLA movie I'm sure they would put a teaser or something at the end of MOS. They need to do a Flash movie first though. I have no idea how they would incorporate Wonder Woman though. Right now the problem with a JLA movie being made is not the characters but the world. Marvel had a world built before the Avengers movie so it was a smooth watch without too much back up story. Perhaps they could set this up in MOS and a possible Green Lantern sequel and another individual movie (hoping for the Flash).
    I share the same Wonder Woman doubt because I had the same doubt with Thor and the Avengers. With Thor, I thought he wouldn't fit because the rest of the universe was science based but them managed to find a science-based background for Thor. They have to find some pseudo-explanation for Wonder Woman, a character who is magic based, to fit into a scientific world of aliens and high-tech Batmen. Unless DC go the opposite direction and decide to have a magic based universe with science in it.

As for the GL and all that, DC have something that Marvel don't, all their own movie rights. All the DC movie rights are under WB so they could do a bit of smart rewriting of the next series of movies to include GL and expand upon that.
  • Options
    I'm saying I am tired or seeing Batman origins. And Superman origins, to be honest with you.

If you're just going to reboot it, why show me YET ANOTHER origin?
    Can't they just start a JL movie and give a brief 5 minute overview of Batman and Superman, for those 3 people in the world who don't know already, and move on from there. I mean, in Avengers, they did some brief mentions of origins (Brilliant playboy philanthopist, norse god, rage monster, super solder from wwII, spy and marksman) and that was about it. All the origin references were essentially contained in some brief descriptions and they get on with it. Just mention it, don't show it, and go on.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I had a sick and twisted idea on the way home from seeing the Avengers for the third time. If no JLA movie by Avengers 3 why not have the Avengers fight the Squadron Supreme? They have established other worlds so why not alternate realities? They can deal with the whole idea of heroes running the world. Hulk fighting "Superman". Could be too insidery for mainstream fans though.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    My idea. Hand the live action franchise over to Bruce Timm and leave him alone.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Yeah so we see Superman and Batman for about 90% of the movie and the rest of it we might get a glimpse of the other heroes. Don't get me wrong the guy is a genius at animation but he definitely has his comfort zone. Look at all the Batman and Superman animated movies we have seen but not a single flash one (ok we have 1 wonder woman and 2 GL). The next 2 DC animated movies are Superman and Batman ones. Also I don't think he could set up a live action movie that well. Its requires a completely different skill set than animation. I wouldn't expect Nolan to do a good animated movie.
  • Options
    Look at all the Batman and Superman animated movies we have seen but not a single flash one (ok we have 1 wonder woman and 2 GL).
    In all fairness, I don't know how much of that is his decision and how much of it is because of what sells.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Yeah so we see Superman and Batman for about 90% of the movie and the rest of it we might get a glimpse of the other heroes. Don't get me wrong the guy is a genius at animation but he definitely has his comfort zone. Look at all the Batman and Superman animated movies we have seen but not a single flash one (ok we have 1 wonder woman and 2 GL). The next 2 DC animated movies are Superman and Batman ones. Also I don't think he could set up a live action movie that well. Its requires a completely different skill set than animation. I wouldn't expect Nolan to do a good animated movie.
    Both are very good points. I should have been more clear. By "giving the franchise to Timm" I didn't mean that Timm would write/direct every film released. I would give Timm control over developing a movie universe and trust his instincts on those he would chose to bring individual projects to the screen. As for his use of Batman & Superman. Is this really his fault? His JLU proved to me that he has a great feel for DCU's second, third, and even forth tier characters. The monopolization of Batman & Superman over the current direct to video releases is, I believe, more a function of corporate bosses then of Timm's preference. And, wouldn't it be foolish of him not to use the two most recognizable characters available to him?

It's strange that in the end, Marvel Studios was blessed by not having Spider-Man available to them. It forced them to develop less recognizable characters. They were also fortunate by having one of those characters with a classic run (Iron Man, Demon in a bottle), and the other two in the midst of very popular arcs (Bru's Cap & JMS's Thor). DC tried to do this with GL, but as they are want to do, instead of keeping it simple they went with a high minded take that sucked much of the fun out of the character.

As to your last point, we don't know if Timm can work the same magic on live action projects. We do know that he respects the source material and understands the characters motivations. We also know that he can make the characters work together. Warner hasn't shown any of the above.