Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Before Watchmen (spoilers)

I'd like to start a thread for those of us who are interested in and intend to read some or part of the Before Watchmen project.

If you wish to debate the moral or ethical aspects of the project there are already this thread and this thread.

To start, here's an interview with Darwyn Cooke from USA Today.

I really am looking forward to this. The small bits about the Minutemen were always my favorite part of Watchmen, and I couldn't ask for anyone better than Darwyn Cook to tell their stories!

Comments

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    i only have the rorschach book on my pull list, but i might easily pick up any or all of the other books at the shop or digitally. for rorschach it's the combination of the character and the creative team.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm all about the Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conner team up. I don't plan on getting all the issues but I want to check as many out as I can, maybe digitally or in trade format.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    i only have the rorschach book on my pull list, but i might easily pick up any or all of the other books at the shop or digitally. for rorschach it's the combination of the character and the creative team.
    I'm only getting Minutemen and Silk Spectre at this point.

If some of the others get phenomenal word-of-mouth, I'll probably get them in trade.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'm interested and will read them digitally - after the price drop.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm interested, and plan to try all of the first issues.
  • Options
    I'm definitely gonna give them all a go. If they're terrible I still have the original book to go back to! That said, I'm pretty confident in the creators that are working on this and I'm excited to see what they come up with.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I plan on reading all of them. But I am waiting for the trades/hardcovers to come out. Then will get them from the library first to see if I like them enough to buy.
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    I'll end up buying the trades.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    I was going to get them digitally after the price had dropped, but the DCBS bundle sale was really too good to pass up.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Yeah I'm going the DCBS bundle route also. And I feel pretty good after hearing Darwin Cooke on IFanboy yesterday. But honestly after seeing the creative teams I've been on board all the way. We see artists and writers change so often that the reverence for the original is slightly lost on me. We all have favorite runs and writers but nothing in comics strikes me a truly sacred. I'm hoping for some good stories with some good characters. That's it.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I'll probably wait for a trade, but I will be picking up the free issue of Minutemen #1 my LCS offering.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Im definately getting Minutemen and Rorschach (maybe Nite Owl). If they are good enough Ill be up for trying the others.
  • Options
    Some very minor Spoilers ahead!

Just finished the first issue of Before Watchmen: Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke. I really wasn't sure going in whether they could pull it off or not. With the talent on show I at least expected it to look good, but the story side had me wondering.

I'm incredibly surprised at how good the writing was. It's honestly one of the best first issues I've read in a while. Darwyn Cooke's sense of storytelling has always been a favourite of mine and this issue really cements it.

A number of people have referenced his work on New Frontier as a touchstone for this but other than the time period it really doesn't line up for me. I found that his work on The Spirit is much more comparable to Minutemen. The clever storytelling devices he used in that run are very evident here but are given that Watchmen twist. There's great use of the signature Watchmen 9 panel-grid in this issue as well as an echo of the iconic opening of issue #1 of the original series. Cooke uses these techniques well and twists them enough to make them his own.

I don't want to give away much of the story but I will say that the framing device of Hollis Mason's novel is well used and gives a good twist to the usual "getting the band together" story. It's a hell of a first issue for the rest of the minis to live up to.

• Options
    45 minutes until I get my copy.

Color me giddy!

8->
  • Options
    I loved every single panel of Minutemen #1.

Moore gave these characters names.

Cooke gave them souls.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Cooke gave them souls.
    Wow! That may be the highest possible praise, right there.

I'm upset I have to wait a whole week for my DCBS box, now.
  • Options
    spaceman88spaceman88 Posts: 19
    I'm mad they got such amazing talent on a property I have no interest in being expanded. I am buying the books for the names, not the expansion of a universe that didn't need it.

But with that said, this was pretty damn good. A send off of golden age heroes with darwyn cooke art through and through is fantastic.
  • Options

Cooke gave them souls.
    I really can't wait till the trades come out. I have pretty much quit buying single issues from any of the big 4.

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I thought it was gorgeous and well written, but kind of slow.
  • Options
    I'm so looking forward to reading this.

I wonder if I should feel guilty this time...
  • Options

What is there to feel guilty about brah?

• Options
    edited June 2012

I usually don't pay attention to the behind-the-scenes hooplah, but this time I know some stuff.

Hell, people I respect call Before Watchmen "comic book poison".

But the thing is, even knowing the little I do about the drama surrounding these comics... I just don't give a crap about any of it. I only care about the comics, and not the creator drama.
  • Options

I usually don't pay attention to the behind-the-scenes hooplah, but this time I know some stuff.

But the things is, even knowing the little I do about the drama surrounding these comics... I just don't give a crap about any of it. I only care about the comics, and not the creator drama.
    I am gonna try to go into them without being influenced by all the behind the scenes stuff.

• Options

But the things is, even knowing the little I do about the drama surrounding these comics... I just don't give a crap about any of it. I only care about the comics, and not the creator drama.
    I am gonna try to go into them without being influenced by all the behind the scenes stuff.

That's definitely the way to go.
  • Options

That's definitely the way to go.
    Yeah I just hope I can do it. I already know since I am waiting for the trade/hardcover to read it,I will have some of it spoiled. But that is ok.
  • Options
    Slow? Really?

I thought it contained three (count 'em three!) of the best action sequences I've seen all year.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Slow? Really?

I thought it contained three (count 'em three!) of the best action sequences I've seen all year.
    ok. this is interesting. which 3 and what pages? maybe i got too caught up in the 3rd person narration.

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    edited June 2012
    Totally dug this issue. I had no interest going in, but the manager of my LCS, knowing I'm a big Darwyn Cooke fan, insisted that I read it. Great art, great story. Everything I expect from Cooke.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Seriously, IMO I hope they make a sat morn cartoon and watchmen cereal and beeny babies and a million more Watchmen comics and movies. I am so burnt out on the Watchmen / Moore worshiping.
    This Comic Book Poison guy needs to get a life. Alan Moore is not a God! Watchmen is not some sacred holy text to be worshiped and protected. DC has not committed some unholy unforgivable sin against God and Nature. There are real evils and real injustices in the world... this is not one of them! You dont like it dont want it? dont buy it!
    Why is the comic book biz from the publishers to the retailers held to such a high moral and ethical standard accross the board than any other business where worse offenses are widely expected and accepted? I dont get it.