Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Favorite genre of film

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Science Fiction
    I believe that there is no better medicine than laughter and if you are a person that can [make] people laugh, you're a true saint.
    I consider any day in which I [make] at least one person laugh to have been a good day.
    And sometimes I have to settle for making myself laugh... :-\"
    You're a daisy if you do.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited June 2012
    Other
    I believe that there is no better medicine than laughter and if you are a person that can [make] people laugh, you're a true saint.
    I consider any day in which I [make] at least one person laugh to have been a good day.
    “Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” image
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    “Well, son, since you haven’t learned to respect your elders, it’s time you learned to respect your betters.” image
    Ed, what an ugly thing to say. I abhor ugliness...does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know, Ed, If I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.
  • Options
    Other
    Ed, what an ugly thing to say. I abhor ugliness...does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know, Ed, If I thought you weren't my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.
    “I haven’t lost my temper in 40 years; but, Pilgrim, you caused a lot of trouble this morning; might have got somebody killed; and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won’t. I won’t. The hell I won’t!”
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Why, Kate! You're not wearing a bustle...how lewd.
  • Options
    Other
    Why, Kate! You're not wearing a bustle...how lewd.
    “Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.”
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Maybe poker just isn't your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Tombstone was laughably bad.

And most of the actors random73 mentioned fit in with the old school I was talking about. They did the job, got paid, and the studio decided if they were movie stars in addition. That Walsall carefully crafted and cultivated.

Hanks is an actor.
    Ford used to be an actor.
    An actor performs as an art, has substance and meaning.
    A movie star,we should be calling celebrity, has a crafted career that requires no acting, just living the lifestyle.
    Hanks is famous and popular but also puts effort into his craft.
    Will smith does not.
    In the history of posts on the internet I've never found one I disagreed with any more than this one. :)

Tom Hanks is Tom Hanks in any movie I see him in. Castaway? It's Tom Hanks working for FedEx. The DaVinci Code? Look at that horrible haircut on Tom Hanks. Big? Hey, it's Tom Hanks as a kid in a man's body. Saving Private Ryan? Tom Hanks is in the army now! Now having said all this, I have nothing against Tom Hanks. Lord knows I've seen enough of his movies (and enjoyed them)...but I've never pretended for a second that he was so immersed in his character that he was anything but Tom Hanks. Yes, even in Road to Perdition.

Ford? Never an actor. He'd probably be the first to tell you that. My dream movie is a Harrison Ford, Bill Paxton, Bill Pullman movie - I'd call it "Monotone Delivery". ;)

And to be fair...really, they're ALL actors. An actor is a job. Hell, *I've* been an actor before, and I suck! Only a handful are true artists, though.

And yes, Tombstone was about as factual to the real thing (take it from a resident) as Police Academy was to actual law enforcement. Great for quotes though...

Hanks was quite clearly acting in Forest Gump, the ladykillers, road to perdition, Philadelphia, green mile.
    Hanks chooses to do easy films to fuel personal projects or his own amusement. Still, good or bad film, he is a solid actor.

Harrison ford was acting in Frisch kid, blade runner, frantic, presumed innocent, regarding Henry, and the like. Then he lost his edge.

I'm more interested in actors who act and take it seriously than ones in it for the celebrity where acting is the commercial for their lives.
  • Options
    Other
    Maybe poker just isn't your game, Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!
    “All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be some place else.”

• Options
    Science Fiction
    Johnny Ringo! You look like somebody just walked over your grave.
  • Options
    Other
    Johnny Ringo! You look like somebody just walked over your grave.
    “Out here a man settles his own problems.”
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Oh...Johnny, I apologize, I forgot you were there...you may go now.
  • Options
    Other
    Oh...Johnny, I apologize, I forgot you were there...you may go now.
    “Don’t apologize—it’s a sign of weakness.”
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Science Fiction
    I don't know, there's just something about him. Something around the eyes. Reminds me of...me! Nope, now im sure of it. I hate him.
  • Options
    Other
    I don't know, there's just something about him. Something around the eyes. Reminds me of...me! Nope, now im sure of it. I hate him.
    “I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
  • Options
    Other
    @random73: If I run out of The Duke quotes, I'll start with Silverado.

Just a friendly warning.
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    @random73: If I run out of The Duke quotes, I'll start with Silverado.

Just a friendly warning.
    I have not yet begun to defile myself.
  • Options
    Other
    "Pleased to meet you."
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Lol! I'm reaching the end of my Tombstone fountain as well! Good job! Well played, sir!
  • Options
    Other
    I surely will miss that bay.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Other

Hanks was quite clearly acting in Forest Gump, the ladykillers, road to perdition, Philadelphia, green mile.
    Hanks chooses to do easy films to fuel personal projects or his own amusement. Still, good or bad film, he is a solid actor.

Harrison ford was acting in Frisch kid, blade runner, frantic, presumed innocent, regarding Henry, and the like. Then he lost his edge.

I'm more interested in actors who act and take it seriously than ones in it for the celebrity where acting is the commercial for their lives.
    For me it's the ability to make me forget who you are and focus more on who you're playing. Hanks has never done that. It's not that I don't like his movies, or him. I think he's helped make some of the best movies of our generation. But I've never, even in the movies you've listed, forgotten he's Tom Hanks. Same deal with Ford. It's Harrison Ford IN a role...not a role as performed by Harrison Ford, if that makes sense.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    horror

For me it's the ability to make me forget who you are and focus more on who you're playing. Hanks has never done that. It's not that I don't like his movies, or him. I think he's helped make some of the best movies of our generation. But I've never, even in the movies you've listed, forgotten he's Tom Hanks. Same deal with Ford. It's Harrison Ford IN a role...not a role as performed by Harrison Ford, if that makes sense.

In Ford's case he totally made me forget he was Harrison Ford when he was in Blade Runner. In that film he was Rick Deckard. After about 10 minutes the first time I saw it I forgot I was watching a film with Ford,and was totally into the story and characters of the film.

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    Other
    nobody mentioned WORLD CINEMA - see the Coen Brothers take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4AeXMEIeNI
  • Options
    Other

In Ford's case he totally made me forget he was Harrison Ford when he was in Blade Runner. In that film he was Rick Deckard. After about 10 minutes the first time I saw it I forgot I was watching a film with Ford,and was totally into the story and characters of the film.
    While I love Blade Runner, I unfortunately roomed with a friend who *lived and breathed* it. So it's interesting that Ford's performance had that effect on you, considering he hated working on the movie, hated working with Scott. famously hated working with Sean Young, and in his own account was "phoning it in." While I love the movie, I found it to be one of his most uninspired performances.

Rutger Hauer, however, nails it. :)

• Options
    Other
    And, just so you don't think I'm just picking on everyone's favorite actors here, I'll put my favorites up for you guys to ridicule :)

Gary Oldman - Sid Vicious, Rosencrantz, Beethoven, Lee Harvey Oswald, Dimmesdale, George Smiley, of course James Gordon - He's got an ability to disappear inside a role, whether it's something dorky like Lost in Space, Dracula (didn't care for it) or Harry Potter (sorry to the Potheads out there), or something grim like Mason Verger (Hannibal). He does such a good job at his craft I forget that he's Gary Oldman...he becomes whoever he is.

Eddie Izzard - more comedian than actor (a theme you'll see in a few other entries on here) but again, whether he's doing something silly (can't wait to see his take on Grandpa Munster) or serious (Man I really miss the Riches), I find his performance, but not him, captivating.

Bryan Cranston - a relative newcomer. My love of Breaking Bad has a lot to do with the fact that I was diagnosed when the premiere hit, and Cranston NAILS in that first season the frustration, wrath, helplessness and desire that you get right after the doctor tells you the bad news. And he escalates it from there brilliantly. Now, normally that wouldn't be enough to make the list, until I remind myself that that's Malcolm's idiot DAD playing this role. I'm pretty sure I'll watch him in whatever he does from here on out.

Bill Murray/Robin Williams - lumping them in the same category here because they've both done some absolutely wretched films where you can't NOT remember it's Bill Murray or Robin Williams...but they've also hit brilliance more than once in their careers. With Murray it's a simple formula - team him up with Wes Anderson and I'll be in the front row. With Williams, I give him props because he's been in a few films where he was halfway through his role...the movie's like half over... and I went "Sonofabitch that's Robin Williams!" (did an uncredited cameo in Dead Again (one of my favorite movies) where that happened)

And to be fair, I have a favorite actor who breaks my own paradigm: Robert DeNiro. I never forget that it's Bobby in a role, but it doesn't matter. He's awesome. Goodfellas. Godfather II. Ronin (one of the greatest movies ever made DON'T DISPUTE ME! :) ). I'll watch him in just about anything.

Interestingly enough, I'm wracking my brain to think of FEMALE actors who'd fit my criteria and I can't. It's knee-jerk to say Sigourney Weaver because she IS my favorite female actor, and Kate Beckinsale because I want to bear her children :), but honestly...I'm trying to think of women who can surpass their own persona to immerse themselves in a role...Meryl Streep is probably a good example but I haven't watched many of her films. Glenn Close?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Other
    While I admire those who do so, I contend there's more to being an actor than disappearing into a role.

And I am flummoxed by the folks on this board who dismiss those who don't do so as "not being actors."

If someone is cast in a role, they are an actor.

Hell, if they audition and are rejected, they're still actors!

Dismissing someone as not being an actor is every bit as ridiculous as my saying that, say Greg Land, is not an artist.

Of course he's an artist. And a very successful one.

I just don't like his work.

I love hyperbole at least as much as the next guy, but come on!

If you don't like an actor's work, just say so. Denying that they are practitioners of their craft is absurd.
  • Options
    Other
    @Torchsong: right there with you on Dead Again. Brilliant film.
  • Options
    Science Fiction
    Harrison ford acted in blade runner despite what he says. He's a tool.
    I have spent years studying the damned movie. Scott would have dumped him if it were truly phoned in.
    And they still hate each other so no 80 year old declared in the next BR film

And Silverado is the milquetoast of westerns.

• Options
    Other
    And Silverado is the milquetoast of westerns.
    "Mister, you got a lot to learn about people."