Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1236 Talkback: Previews

2»

Comments

• Options
    I am getting all of the DC new 52,
    The Walking Dead,
    Thief of Thieves,
    Fury Max
    The Shade

Not loving really any of the 6 replacements in the new 52. after the zero and thirteenth issues I am going to look at cutting down on my order and get only the things I really love. I wanted to give DC a full year before deciding.
  • Options
    Beto is good but Jaime is one of my heroes. He can do no wrong!!!
    I've been reading it since 1991. My lcs in the 80s was stingy with it.
    I wish more people read it.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Beto is good but Jaime is one of my heroes. He can do no wrong!!!
    I've been reading it since 1991. My lcs in the 80s was stingy with it.
    I wish more people read it.
    I'd pick up the occasional L&R-related book in the 90s and early 00s (Penny Century, the Maggie & Hopey special), but I didn't start to really like it until the past few years. I've read the first two Locas collections, after downsizing from the giant coffee table book version (I was annoyed that it was incomplete, and the size made it difficult to read) and enjoyed the hell out of those and I'm thinking it's time to pick up the third book, Perla La Loca.

I've been wondering if I should give the Heartbreak Soup/Palomar/Luba stuff a try, too, but I dunno, what I've read of it is usually pretty bleak. I'm definitely more of a Jamie fan than a Beto.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I’ve got the first four volumes of L&R New Stories, but I haven’t read them yet. They’re on my rather large “to be read” pile. Like most, I’m a Jaime guy. I’ve never been able to really get into Beto’s work. I appreciate what he does on a storytelling level, but that’s about as far as it goes with me.

Jaime’s stuff is much more accessible. Not only is his art gorgeous, but it’s more comfortable to the average reader. It doesn’t look “indie.” And his stories are, on the whole, more fun. He can get dark, yes, but he rarely gets as dark as Beto.
  • Options
    Beto is definitely worth reading but it's draining.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Beto is definitely worth reading but it's draining.
    Exactly. It’s good every now and then, but I don’t want a steady diet of it.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I've been enjoying reading all the opinions about L&R. Yeah, I agree that Jaime's work is more polished and thus, more accessible, but I think 'Beto provides a good balance. I like the quirkiness of his work. Sometimes it's just downright weird. Well, they both can be weird (the horned guy in Jaime's Penny Century stories?) but I like them both. So, it's like peanut butter Cups, two good tastes that go well together. And since they are brothers, they tend to fit together better.