Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    chrisw said:

Circus Peanuts are awesome.

They're peanuts, but they're big, orange, and spongy, and they taste like bananas. They are clearly the product of someone with insight into realms beyond our own, because they make no logical sense.

Next you’re going to tell me you like candy corn.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    Lots of great action! Looks good. I like the more grand music trailer. Yes have action and fight scenes but I was really digging the "hope of the world" vibe from the earlier trailers. Still want to see.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

kgforce said:

Planeis said:

SoldierOfSteel.com

Has anyone seen a movie promoting the military like this before. Obviously, the military has been involved with Hollywood for a long time. they want to look good, the movies want to look good, and the military wants people to watch them and go "wow... maybe I should do that."

But I've never seen a movie tie in with the National Guard before. At the bottom of Solider of Steel.com there is a "Learn More" button and a "Join now" button. Never seen anything like that before. Not sure I like it. I'm not anti-military or anything, its just a little too much.

I don't have a problem with this at all.

However... I do have a problem with the TWIZZLERS tie-in.

Worst. Candy. Ever.

Blech!

I'm not sure if it's worse than Circus Peanuts, but... yeah.
    DOTS are the worst.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

kgforce said:

Planeis said:

SoldierOfSteel.com

Has anyone seen a movie promoting the military like this before. Obviously, the military has been involved with Hollywood for a long time. they want to look good, the movies want to look good, and the military wants people to watch them and go "wow... maybe I should do that."

But I've never seen a movie tie in with the National Guard before. At the bottom of Solider of Steel.com there is a "Learn More" button and a "Join now" button. Never seen anything like that before. Not sure I like it. I'm not anti-military or anything, its just a little too much.

I don't have a problem with this at all.

However... I do have a problem with the TWIZZLERS tie-in.

Worst. Candy. Ever.

Blech!

I'm not sure if it's worse than Circus Peanuts, but... yeah.
    DOTS are the worst.
    I've never dared to try them.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792

chrisw said:

They're peanuts, but they're big, orange, and spongy, and they taste like bananas. They are clearly the product of someone with insight into realms beyond our own, because they make no logical sense.

Nope. And for some reason, during my peak trick or treating years, candy corn was a hugely popular thing to hand out in my town. It always just tasted like sugary wax to me. I don't think I've ever known anyone who liked it. Every Halloween I get this urge to buy a bag and see if I was just misjudging it all that time, but I never do.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

chrisw said:

Nope. And for some reason, during my peak trick or treating years, candy corn was a hugely popular thing to hand out in my town. It always just tasted like sugary wax to me. I don't think I've ever known anyone who liked it. Every Halloween I get this urge to buy a bag and see if I was just misjudging it all that time, but I never do.
    I liked them as a very young kid—liked them well enough anyway—but I OD'd on them when I ate half a bag in one sitting. I can barely stand to look at them now, nearly 40 years later.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    tazmaniak said:
    I smell large quantities of super punches and explosion. I smell no real estate schemes.

This makes me happy.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    First, DOTS are only the worst if you have suspect dental work. Otherwise, they're quasi-fruity, congealed mucilage deliciousness. It is known.

Second, artificial banana flavored anything is, at best, suspect and should be reviewed by the Inquisition.

Finally, candy corn is remarkable when mixed with salted peanuts. It's like Payday bar trail mix!
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Of course we don't know the final product but Warner Brothers have been crushing it with these trailers and tv spots
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I feel oddly tempted not to watch this one....
  • Options
    The trailer I mean.
  • Options
    zzzoooooomg. I just watched. Can't believe how good it looks. Still trying to keep my expectations down, but wow. Unbelievable... but it looks like it might have more action than Avengers.

Also... couple images of the suit make it pretty clear... to me anyway, that the suit aint armor. It ripples like fabric.
  • Options
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Planeis said:

Still trying to keep my expectations down, but wow.

I'm still struggling to get mine up. It's looking more interesting, but I'm still having troubles with the costume and the washed-out color palette for the film. Plus -- I'm really, really tired of Zod being used for a Superman adversary. I never thought Zod was all that interesting to begin with, and I thought his participation in Smallville went on far too long. I'd have preferred Luthor (for all that he's also overused), or, better yet, Brainiac. Still, I could be proven wrong. It's very much a wait-and-see for me.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    It looks like Superman if you sucked all the joy, colour and fun from the idea. So great corporate synergy with the New52 at least. :)
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I have a friend that is so completely amped for this movie. We trade verbal jabs back and forth about this, because, while I'm warming to this movie, I have been pretty badly burned in the not too distant past.

Nothing about what I've seen gives me the feeling I *won't* like this film (costume aside)... but previous experience nags at me so that I can't fully get excited about it, either.

My friend, in view of my doubts, always (and I mean ALWAYS, like they are paying him for promotion), "The S stands for hope!"

My retort is always the same, "S also stands for Sucker."

But, really, I may be in the best position to see this movie. I'm really expecting so little. It is like when I went to see X-Men: First Class. I expected it to be crummy, but I think it ended up being my second favorite movie of that summer.

I think I'm perfectly ready to enjoy this film.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Brack said:

It looks like Superman if you sucked all the joy, colour and fun from the idea. So great corporate synergy with the New52 at least. :)

Wow.

Nicely-put.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited May 2013
    Brack said:

Yeah...it looks interesting (though I cannot attest to the new52.)

EDIT:

Here's part of the movie's premise. More specifically, here's part of the premise I see as what will make this movie different from the previous ones AND interesting:

"...Raised with the values of his adoptive parents, he feels alienated because of his unique super powers and struggles to find his own place in life."

M
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited May 2013
    Carl's Jr/Hardees commercial directed by Zack Snyder, featuring Henry Cavill.

http://youtu.be/VMAl4LwFVVg

http://youtu.be/YVCJIEjQd6g

That's pretty interesting. With these marketing tie-ins, you rarely see any involvement from the director or the actor. The commercials tend to only feature scenes from the movies or if the character appears, he's played by a double.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    The trailers really look good but have been thinking that we need to get past these origin stories and move to new stuff like the Brainiacs and Darkseids. This is close to same story from Superman 2 but with more kick-arse effects. How many times do we need to see MA and PA find Superman or make the Fortress (which could probably be a pre-existing Kryptonian base or actual Ship) or Batman watching his family get gunned down. If you don't know these stories at all yet you should. Move on to the even juicier stuff! I don't want to be old and grey when I finally get to see the New Gods and Apokolips or a Giant Brainiac Head.
  • Options

The trailers really look good but have been thinking that we need to get past these origin stories and move to new stuff like the Brainiacs and Darkseids. This is close to same story from Superman 2 but with more kick-arse effects. How many times do we need to see MA and PA find Superman or make the Fortress (which could probably be a pre-existing Kryptonian base or actual Ship) or Batman watching his family get gunned down. If you don't know these stories at all yet you should. Move on to the even juicier stuff! I don't want to be old and grey when I finally get to see the New Gods and Apokolips or a Giant Brainiac Head.

I agree. By this point its common knowledge enough that its not necessary. I'm going to be subjective to this movie because the last time Kent's origin was in a movie was in 1978 (Returns touches on it without taking us completely through each point.) I know I'm making an exception for MoS because its Nolan & a reboot. Unless the next trilogy is 30yrs later, the origin should be skipped.

That was one of the biggest deterrents I had with Amazing Spider-man. Raimi's movie was 10yrs ago. I know that's forever for movie studios, but it seemed to recent in my memory.

M
  • Options
    Question, with the movie coming out soon... why is the new Superman monthly being called Superman Unchained as opposed to "Man of Steel" ... I mean HELLO.

Also, i enjoy Jim Lee and Snyder... but $4.99 for a comic? c'mon DC...

Superman Unchained
  • Options

Isn't this like asking how many times do we have to see Krypton explode or Bruce's parents get gunned down in the comics? I've seen them literally over 100 times.

Superman II was 30 years ago. They had their chance to try something new with an already in existance Superman when they did Superman Returns. They did not do a good job. They should have done Brainiac or Metallo or something, but they didn't. They feel like they have to do the beginning because they don't have a good basis for a story right now. If MOS is successful, I feel somewhat confident we'll get to see some stuff we've never seen in the movies before.

Looks to me like the Fortress in this movie will be a pre-existing ship that crashed, not something he builds.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I agree with the "something other then another origin story, please". However, what if they do something different with the origin and tweak the story so that Krypton isn't destroyed?
  • Options
    rebis said:

I agree with the "something other then another origin story, please". However, what if they do something different with the origin and tweak the story so that Krypton isn't destroyed?

Then Kal-El wouldn't be the Last Son of Krypton. The idea that he is the last of his kind wouldn't be part of his blight. So if Krypton ISN'T destroyed, an important part of his mythos isn't there.

Plus, I heard that rumor is false, luckily. I don't mind tweaks, but the key notes have to be there.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

rebis said:

Then Kal-El wouldn't be the Last Son of Krypton. The idea that he is the last of his kind wouldn't be part of his blight. So if Krypton ISN'T destroyed, an important part of his mythos isn't there.

Plus, I heard that rumor is false, luckily. I don't mind tweaks, but the key notes have to be there.

M
    Could be wrong, but I think we've already seen the planet getting all blowed up in the trailers... Like This
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    Could be wrong, but I think we've already seen the planet getting all blowed up in the trailers... Like This
    Yeah. I think the only tweak I'd be okay with is that rather then the planet blows up, if there was something that wiped out its people. The planet could still remain, but Kryptonians are basically extinct. Something like a Chicxulub Crater could be found on Krypton if Kal-El returned to the planet (Nolan, Goyer, & Snyder, please don't retread Singer!)

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Certain characters have origins that are as iconic as they are. Superman, Spider-Man, and Batman are the three origins that I think are pretty hard to avoid in any relaunched movie series. Yes, most people know their origins and that's why they want to see them. Personally, I don't ever want to see Peter-Parker get bit by another spider but I think it's unavoidable.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

rebis said:

M
    That's good to hear. I hadn't read where it was only a rumor.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Let's not forget we may know the story of Superman's orgin, but there are plenty of audiences members who don't know it or remember it