Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    Awesome , awesome casting. I love this. I was mildly excited when they were saying Cranston but that would have been a fairly obvious pick. Eisenberg is a interesting, unique choice. Well done.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited January 2014
    kgforce said:

Jeremy Irons is Alfred. Jesse Eisenberg is Lex Luthor. Umm... what?

http://bit.ly/MmUTHe

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't 'get' Eisenberg. He's in some interesting movies, but he always seems to annoy the hell out of me. He kind of reminds me of Woody Allen, but I can tolerate him.

I think its his delivery. I saw Zombieland & 30 Minutes or Less, both movies I enjoyed, but he came off as this fumbling, nerdy guy. I don't get that from Lex. He's so confident you get annoyed with him. I just don't see Eisenberg being annoying in that cool of a way.

Lex is my favorite DC villain (at least the corporate raider/'Lex Jr' version), I'm hoping they do him Justice.

I'm not thrilled with the casting, but I'll wait to see how things are done in the movie.

M
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    The awful casting continues...
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited January 2014
    kgforce said:

Initial reaction to Eisenberg casting-

=))

Somebody must have told Zack Snyder they should get Heisenberg for Lex Luthor and he didn't get it

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited January 2014
    kgforce said:

Jesse Eisenberg

Jim Parsons or Jon Heder must not have been available...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited January 2014
    Just as I liked the unusual, maybe even risky casting of Shannon for Zod, I am intrigued by Eisenberg for Luthor. He's an excellent actor, and his youthfulness and nerdy, physically nonthreatening presence is a good contrast to Superman. Give him a good script to work with, and I think this could be great casting. It certainly has raised my interest in this film. (I mean, real talk, I was going to see it anyway, but now there is someone in the mix I am looking forward to).
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The real question. Will he shave his head?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    David_D said:

Just as I liked the unusual, maybe even risky casting of Shannon for Zod, I am intrigued by Eisenberg for Luthor. He's an excellent actor, and his youthfulness and nerdy, physically nonthreatening presence is a good contrast to Superman. Give him a good script to work with, and I think this could be great casting. It certainly has raised my interest in this film. (I mean, real talk, I was going to see it anyway, but now there is someone in the mix I am looking forward to).

I saw on twitter someone thought this meant he'd be more scientist then corporate monarch. I keep picturing a cross between Real Genius & Pollux Troy from Face/off.

Maybe he'll be more in the mold of Justin Hammer & Aldrich Killian a la Iron Man movies.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    kgforce said:

yeah i saw that too and had much the same reaction. Jesse Eisenberg...really? this is shaping up to be a strange flick.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Heath Ledger as Joker? Michael Keaton as Batman? Calm down everybody!

• Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

I saw on twitter someone thought this meant he'd be more scientist then corporate monarch. I keep picturing a cross between Real Genius & Pollux Troy from Face/off.

Maybe he'll be more in the mold of Justin Hammer & Aldrich Killian a la Iron Man movies.

M
    Could be. Or it may be that he is still corporate, but in the Silicon Valley mold rather than the 80s corporate image of a handsome smoothie, or a barrel-chested fat cat. More the Gates, Jobs, or Zuckerberg (who he already played)- the person who started in their dorm room or garage before they became a billionaire and corporate.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    if you've not seen Now You See Me, you should it is a different type of role than what Eisenberg is known for and he really nails it. I don't mean this is shaping up to be a bad movie just strange. or at least it is going against expectation. i'm kinda excited about it. or at least i'm becoming increasingly curious.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    HAHAHAHA good hell. oohhh how contemporary and inspired... a Mark Zuckerberg'ed Lex Luthor. Ya know, for the now real lifesies take to go with the now real lifesies like superman-of right now.
    Taking a few moments to process it, Im actually ok with Irons as Alfred.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    JaxUr said:

Ledger rocked it and Keaton disappointed. Using that logic, one of the actors announced today is going to nail the part.
  • Options
    rebis said:

JaxUr said:

Ledger rocked it and Keaton disappointed. Using that logic, one of the actors announced today is going to nail the part.
    Wow, really? Besides Bale, I thought Keaton was the only other actor to nail the character. Kilmer did a great Batman, Clooney did a great Bruce Wayne. Keaton did both. His Batman was stoic and visibly calculating. His Wayne had this way of seeming absentminded, tormented, and always assessing the situation around him.

Bale's Wayne came off as the spoiled playboy, but even his Batman did not seem to be always assessing the situation like Keaton's portrayal.

M
  • Options
    I would imagine Irons will be fine. I mean, he is Alfred in a movie that is still supposedly a Superman sequel. I would be surprised if he has more than two scenes.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited February 2014
    Matt said:

kgforce said:

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who doesn't 'get' Eisenberg. He's in some interesting movies, but he always seems to annoy the hell out of me. He kind of reminds me of Woody Allen, but I can tolerate him.

I think its his delivery. I saw Zombieland & 30 Minutes or Less, both movies I enjoyed, but he came off as this fumbling, nerdy guy. I don't get that from Lex. He's so confident you get annoyed with him. I just don't see Eisenberg being annoying in that cool of a way.

Lex is my favorite DC villain (at least the corporate raider/'Lex Jr' version), I'm hoping they do him Justice.

I'm not thrilled with the casting, but I'll wait to see how things are done in the movie.

M
    Did you see the Social Network?

I like him a lot, but, given how still incredibly early this is... its impossible to say. But given what I saw in Social Network, i can absolutely see him being an evil corporate guy.
  • Options
    Is it bad that I still see Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera as the same guy?

Not even kidding here - until I actually sat down and was watching Zombieland, I would've sworn Michael Cera was in it.

They are completely interchangeable in my mind. Like, if Zack Snyder decided to switch them halfway through the MoS sequel, I don't think I'd notice.

Am I alone in this?
  • Options

Is it bad that I still see Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera as the same guy?

Not even kidding here - until I actually sat down and was watching Zombieland, I would've sworn Michael Cera was in it.

They are completely interchangeable in my mind. Like, if Zack Snyder decided to switch them halfway through the MoS sequel, I don't think I'd notice.

Am I alone in this?

They have a lot of similarities, and get compared a lot. I find Eisenberg to be the darker of the two. And the more interesting actor. Had they announced Cera, I would hae thought "yikes", or at least been skeptical, as he just seems very sweet and harmless to me. Wheras Eisenberg, going back to some of the first things I saw him in like Rodger Dodger and The Squid and the Whale, plays characters who read to me as carrying anger under the surface. The more I think about it, the more I like this choice. I hope the script is good.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

kgforce said:

M

I like him a lot, but, given how still incredibly early this is... its impossible to say. But given what I saw in Social Network, i can absolutely see him being an evil corporate guy.
    No. I never had an interest in seeing the movie. Truthfully, my only interest in Facebook (and social media) has been what useful information I can gather for work purposes. The origins of the site never really grabbed my attention

M
  • Options
    I would guess that there's a five year difference in age between Eisenberg and Cera. Maybe more.
  • Options

I would guess that there's a five year difference in age between Eisenberg and Cera. Maybe more.

You are exactly right; Eisenberg 30, Cera 25.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Matt said:

kgforce said:

M

No. I never had an interest in seeing the movie. Truthfully, my only interest in Facebook (and social media) has been what useful information I can gather for work purposes. The origins of the site never really grabbed my attention

M
    Well, if you like watching movies of all types, I'd say its a great one. There's a lot of interesting stuff in it.
  • Options
    "The Social Network" is a David Fincher movie. I haven't seen a bad one of his. His next movie stars Ben Affleck.
  • Options

"The Social Network" is a David Fincher movie. I haven't seen a bad one of his. His next movie stars Ben Affleck.

Is that implying it might be bad, or just a casting connection?

M
  • Options
    Casting connection.

And here's the list of his (not including Alien 3, as it was worsened by the studio, not Fincher, the director - but still not a bad movie IMO):

Se7en
    The Game
    Fight Club
    Panic Room
    Zodiac
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    The Social Network
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326