Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Doesn't matter to me.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    They could not have gotten better actors to play Superman's fathers. Russell Crowe has the larger than life quality I always imagined Jor El to have and Costner plays the all American well. I don't ask for much of my movies but I have to believe this will do what Singer's version could not, make Superman entertaining again. I saw the full trailer and it looked exciting and moving. I hope it is.
  • Options
    I rather like Mike Gold's take on both the movie and Superman's costume.

comicmix.com/columns/2013/02/06/mike-gold-stupid-decisions/
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I rather like Mike Gold's take on both the movie and Superman's costume.

comicmix.com/columns/2013/02/06/mike-gold-stupid-decisions/

Out of everything, the costume does bother me the most. I've never seen Superman pull up the briefs portion of his pants, which always led me to believe its apart of the pants, not another layer. The solid blue just looks wrong.

As for the themes of the movie, I'm all for it. I think it'll mirror some of WB/CW's Smallville. We'll get to see a Superman who feels alone & an outcast due to his abilities. It looks more real in concept then the idea of the world just accepting Superman, so he feels like one of the people.

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

As for the themes of the movie, I'm all for it. I think it'll mirror some of WB/CW's Smallville. We'll get to see a Superman who feels alone & an outcast due to his abilities. It looks more real in concept then the idea of the world just accepting Superman, so he feels like one of the people.

The only thing more annoying than a regular Emo is an Emo Superman.

Powers: Flight, Invulnerability, Super Strength, Super Speed, Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, Freezing Breath, Super Ventriloquism, and Moping.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

The only thing more annoying than a regular Emo is an Emo Superman.

Powers: Flight, Invulnerability, Super Strength, Super Speed, Heat Vision, X-Ray Vision, Freezing Breath, Super Ventriloquism, and Moping.
    Actually, I'm tired of hearing about "how cool it'd be to be Superman" or to have superpowers. This notion that Clark Kent would feel completely normal with everyone else because he looks like them always turned me away from the character. Knowing he's felt just as alone & alienated as, say, Peter Parker makes Kent a more interesting character.

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I agree with the both of you. The difference being that Superman isn't "responsible" out of a sense of guilt like Spider-Man. Find the Paul Harvey superbowl ad. That's a great description of Superman.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I agree with the both of you. The difference being that Superman isn't "responsible" out of a sense of guilt like Spider-Man. Find the Paul Harvey superbowl ad. That's a great description of Superman.

I interpret Kent's sense of responsibility based on the moral upbringing of the Kents. The values they taught him gives that notion to help vs ignore or rule.

M

And please don't make me watch that commercial again. I feel alienated that I have no idea who this Paul Harvey is & why he's important.
  • Options
    Matt said:

And please don't make me watch that commercial again. I feel alienated that I have no idea who this Paul Harvey is & why he's important.

Harvey was a prominent radio newscaster and personality for several decades, who had a folksy charm and an unfortunate tendency to editorialize during his newscasts, which tended to make him more popular among those who followed him, particularly, I imagine, along the Bible Belt. My dad listened to him regularly when I was a kid, and I remember his very distinctive voice and delivery quite well. While I didn't care for his news show, I did enjoy his other popular radio feature, The Rest Of The Story, in which he would tell a tale of some meaningful event in some person's life, and deliver, as a punchline, the identity of that person. "And now you know... the rest of the story!"
  • Options

Matt said:

Harvey was a prominent radio newscaster and personality for several decades, who had a folksy charm and an unfortunate tendency to editorialize during his newscasts, which tended to make him more popular among those who followed him, particularly, I imagine, along the Bible Belt. My dad listened to him regularly when I was a kid, and I remember his very distinctive voice and delivery quite well. While I didn't care for his news show, I did enjoy his other popular radio feature, The Rest Of The Story, in which he would tell a tale of some meaningful event in some person's life, and deliver, as a punchline, the identity of that person. "And now you know... the rest of the story!"
    Thanks for the background.

M
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Matt said:

rebis said:

I interpret Kent's sense of responsibility based on the moral upbringing of the Kents. The values they taught him gives that notion to help vs ignore or rule.
    Exactly. At his core, Superman is a farmer.
    Matt said:

Chuck_Melville said it very well. Harvey was the voice of "fly over" country. I don't think those from coastal megalopolis or are a few generations removed from an agrarian culture would "get" him.

• Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    rebis said:

Chuck_Melville said it very well. Harvey was the voice of "fly over" country. I don't think those from coastal megalopolis or are a few generations removed from an agrarian culture would "get" him.

When I still lived in Illinois, I remember back in the '80s, and even into the '90s, various offices I worked in at the time making sure to tune into whatever station broadcast him at noon to listen. It was a ritual for some people. And they were all ages, too, not just the senior citizens you'd expect. I never got it. The guy had an interesting voice, but his news segments often left me feeling less informed than before I'd heard them. He'd jump from war in the middle east to a story about a cat stuck in a tree to a commercial for mattresses, all with the same voice and inflection. I found it odd.
  • Options
    chrisw said:

When I still lived in Illinois, I remember back in the '80s, and even into the '90s, various offices I worked in at the time making sure to tune into whatever station broadcast him at noon to listen. It was a ritual for some people. And they were all ages, too, not just the senior citizens you'd expect. I never got it. The guy had an interesting voice, but his news segments often left me feeling less informed than before I'd heard them. He'd jump from war in the middle east to a story about a cat stuck in a tree to a commercial for mattresses, all with the same voice and inflection. I found it odd.

He was a legacy of the early days of radio, and is easier to appreciate in retrospect.

My sister used to call him "Paul Click", because as soon as he started to introduce himself, she turned off the radio.*

*I'm the same way with Garrison Keiler.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    rebis said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

I'm 44 and grew up in suburban South Jersey. I am a middle class, Breakfast Club , white guy and I listened to Paul Harvey on syndicated radio every day. The Rest of the Story and his news reports also. I get that Matt who is probably at least 10 years younger does not know him but I disagree with the notion that he is not a national figure. He may not be important or even relevant but he was bigger than just a "fly over" country spokesman. Now you know the rest of the story........
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

I'm 44 and grew up in suburban South Jersey. I am a middle class, Breakfast Club , white guy and I listened to Paul Harvey on syndicated radio every day. The Rest of the Story and his news reports also. I get that Matt who is probably at least 10 years younger does not know him but I disagree with the notion that he is not a national figure. He may not be important or even relevant but he was bigger than just a "fly over" country spokesman. Now you know the rest of the story........

Flyover Country is the nation!
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

Yep, I'm about 10 years younger. That stuff wasn't really what we had playing at the house growing up. Thanks for the info.

M
  • Options
    The reality is that, while the muted tones of the outfit are potential causes for concern, they are (for me, at least) only a concern because they (along with the understated first previews we saw of Superfisherman) underline concerns that were sparked when WB President Jeff Robinov said, "We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it" following the success of The Dark Knight in 2008.

As far as I'm concerned, if they begin and end the "going dark" with his costume, I'm perfectly fine with it. If, however, they try to make him a lone wolf...dark and ready to avenge the death of his parents, I'm out.

Supes has always had that element of "outsider-ness" as part of his character. They didn't call him "The Last Son of Krypton" for nothing...even if he kind of isn't anymore. The thing is that his "other-ness" also wasn't a gateway to him brooding in a corner or sequestering himself in a mansion while others throw parties in his name. In the same way that I tried to keep an open mind for Dark Knight Rises, I will keep an open mind for Man of Steel.

Regardless of that damn costume.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

chrisw said:

He was a legacy of the early days of radio, and is easier to appreciate in retrospect.

My sister used to call him "Paul Click", because as soon as he started to introduce himself, she turned off the radio.*

*I'm the same way with Garrison Keiler.
    hey, Stuart.. Lake Wobegon will always have a place for ya.. you betcha..
  • Options
    WetRats said:

shroud68 said:

Flyover Country is the nation!
    QFT!
  • Options
    What is it with that damn costume?
    Yeah it's not the iconic Superman costume you love, at least not exactly, but a costume like this is hard enough to pull off, put in the underwear and it really looks silly espacially if they're going for a more serious tone with this.

Anyway, I don't think that this serious tone will get too serious. It will just mean, that the movie isn't directed to families but more to adults, maybe people that were kids when they watched Superman I and II. Zod will be more evil, more people will die and the movie will have a darker colourset. Superman will be a more serious guy and everyting will be more realistic (as far as it can be called realism when you have Superman in it).
  • Options

Yeah it's not the iconic Superman costume you love...

Strike one.

There are some things you just don't change. Modify, yes, but change? Never.

Anyway, I don't think that this serious tone will get too serious. It will just mean, that the movie isn't directed to families but more to adults...

Strike two.

If it can't appeal to the kid in the adult, it loses pretty much everything.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Yeah it's not the iconic Superman costume you love, at least not exactly, but a costume like this is hard enough to pull off, put in the underwear and it really looks silly espacially if they're going for a more serious tone with this.

Anyway, I don't think that this serious tone will get too serious. It will just mean, that the movie isn't directed to families but more to adults, maybe people that were kids when they watched Superman I and II. Zod will be more evil, more people will die and the movie will have a darker colourset. Superman will be a more serious guy and everyting will be more realistic (as far as it can be called realism when you have Superman in it).

Pretty sure Avengers appeals to kids, also sure that NONE of the Marvel movies shied away from the heroes costume. They made it work in context.

I hope MoS is awesome. I like Snyder. But im not holding my breath.
  • Options
    I think it's gonna apeal to the Kid in the adult, it's just gonna be violent and dark enough, so you wouldn't let your kids see them. Avengers doesn't go for that dark tone, There is some dark stuff in there like coulson's death, but it's in no way as dark as Batman Begins or TDKR (I'm not saying Dark Knight cause MoS is never going to be that dark), where they are there are themes like fear and Batman's back being broken. I think it's just going to be more serious.

And back to the Underwear, I think the underwear is iconic and they shouldn't change that, but the young audience, who didn't grow up with Superman I and II (I didn't) just think it's silly and dumb and to be honest, many people I talk to don't like Superman just because of the underwear.
  • Options

I think it's gonna apeal to the Kid in the adult, it's just gonna be violent and dark enough, so you wouldn't let your kids see them. Avengers doesn't go for that dark tone, There is some dark stuff in there like coulson's death, but it's in no way as dark as Batman Begins or TDKR (I'm not saying Dark Knight cause MoS is never going to be that dark), where they are there are themes like fear and Batman's back being broken. I think it's just going to be more serious.

And back to the Underwear, I think the underwear is iconic and they shouldn't change that, but the young audience, who didn't grow up with Superman I and II (I didn't) just think it's silly and dumb and to be honest, many people I talk to don't like Superman just because of the underwear.

I concur with everything except the bit about "the underwear." I've not read/seen anything to imply its a separate layer from the blue portions of the pants. If I'm wrong, please someone post a picture where the "underwear" is ripped & there's blue underneath.

M
  • Options
    You now what I mean, that's how people see it and that's the easiest way to descriebe it.
  • Options

You now what I mean, that's how people see it and that's the easiest way to descriebe it.

Yeah, but non-comic reading fans like to talk to me about the 60s Batman...and that's NOT Batman. I'm trying to get away from the misconceptions so things like Superman's costume post Flashpoint wouldn't have been an issue.

M
  • Options

Just to be clear, you think MoS is going to be dark enough that families would NOT want their children of lets say.... 8 years old to see?
  • Options
    At least not your 5-6 year old. You know like you maybe wouldn't let them see TDKR or Batman Begins.
  • Options

At least not your 5-6 year old. You know like you maybe wouldn't let them see TDKR or Batman Begins.

Well, if that's what you mean than fine. But I wouldn't refer to that as dark. I wouldn't let 5-6 year olds see Avengers either.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Well, if that's what you mean than fine. But I wouldn't refer to that as dark. I wouldn't let 5-6 year olds see Avengers either.
    Why would you want to deprive your five or six year olds that way?