Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Man of Steel

Comments

• Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    edited November 2012
    kgforce said:

Planeis said:

batlaw said:

Quite a bit more promising but I think primarily because of the increased SF / Superman in action scenes. They look pretty good even in this poor quality video. However Amy Adams is still off IMO as Lois...

I agree with you on Amy Adams, she just feels wrong and frankly I think she's too old if this is actually going to be a franchise....
    Yes! So I'm not the only one who feels that way about her. She's 38. Henry Cavill is 29.

From what I've read, the role was meant for an older actress. If I remember the article/interview correctly, it talked about how Lois Lane is supposed to be this successful award winning journalist with a lot of experience under her belt. She's supposed to be a match for Clark, who is more intelligent than most people his age (and most people, in general) and is also more worldly, due to his journey of self discovery.

You couldn't have that match in a Lois who is in her early/mid 20s like Clark. At least not believably. To have the kind of career and experience Lois has been shown to have in the comics, TV and films would require her to be a woman in her mid 30s and significantly older than Clark. No 24/25 year old would be the lead journalist at a newspaper, nor would she had already won a Pulitzer for her work.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

On another note, does anyone else think it's odd that besides Lex (who is probably being saved for later), every major Superman character you'd assume would be in the first movie is in the movie except for Jimmy Olsen? What's that about?

They've even got Steve Lombard in the movie, but no Jimmy.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    tazmaniak said:

kgforce said:

Planeis said:

batlaw said:

Quite a bit more promising but I think primarily because of the increased SF / Superman in action scenes. They look pretty good even in this poor quality video. However Amy Adams is still off IMO as Lois...

I agree with you on Amy Adams, she just feels wrong and frankly I think she's too old if this is actually going to be a franchise....
    Yes! So I'm not the only one who feels that way about her. She's 38. Henry Cavill is 29.

From what I've read, the role was meant for an older actress. If I remember the article/interview correctly, it talked about how Lois Lane is supposed to be this successful award winning journalist with a lot of experience under her belt. She's supposed to be a match for Clark, who is more intelligent than most people his age (and most people, in general) and is also more worldly, due to his journey of self discovery.

You couldn't have that match in a Lois who is in her early/mid 20s like Clark. At least not believably. To have the kind of career and experience Lois has been shown to have in the comics, TV and films would require her to be a woman in her mid 30s and significantly older than Clark. No 24/25 year old would be the lead journalist at a newspaper, nor would she had already won a Pulitzer for her work.

On another note, does anyone else think it's odd that besides Lex (who is probably being saved for later), every major Superman character you'd assume would be in the first movie is in the movie except for Jimmy Olsen? What's that about?

Every major depiction that Ive seen of lois has started with a woman in her late 20's. Margot Kidder and Teri Hatcher were both 28-29 when they were filming their first appearences. Kate Bostworth was 24. A 24 year old woman won the pulitzer proze in 2012, and she was not even the youngest person to do it.

Amy is great, I just think shes too old. I know it seems mean to say, but its not her fault. Sometimes producers dont think, like when the Bond owners continued to pay Roger Moore for at least one too many movies.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

tazmaniak said:

kgforce said:

Planeis said:

batlaw said:

Every major depiction that Ive seen of lois has started with a woman in her late 20's. Margot Kidder and Teri Hatcher were both 28-29 when they were filming their first appearences. Kate Bostworth was 24. A 24 year old woman won the pulitzer proze in 2012, and she was not even the youngest person to do it.

Amy is great, I just think shes too old. I know it seems mean to say, but its not her fault. Sometimes producers dont think, like when the Bond owners continued to pay Roger Moore for at least one too many movies.
    But that's the thing. She's not too old because the character in the movie is in her 30s. Amy Adams is actually the right age for the part. If the character were in her 20's, then yeah, she'd be too old for the role and would age out of it in a few years. But the character is about the same age as the actress, so there's no problem.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I think my concerns with Amy Adams is whether or not she looks the part in the movie. Kate Bosworth look way too young to be believable.

Interesting fact: the dude who played Terry Silva in Karate Kid pt III is actually a year younger than Ralph Macchio. He looks a lot older in the movie.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2012
    If they got an actress in her late 20s that carried herself with the confidence that Margot Kidder did in her late 20s, then cool. But I would much rather someone in their 30s or older than have to try to believe a wisp of a thing like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane again (and that is not a reference to her physical size, but to the size of her screen presence). I think Amy Adams is a great choice. And if she is older than Clark, well, coo coo ca choo. Besides she reads (and often convincingly plays) younger than her age, and Cavil looks older than his age to me in what I have seen. I think it'll work.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Where's the spit curl?

Interesting image. I hope that not to much time is spent retelling an origin and we can see something different in a Superman movie.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    A terrible poster for a Superman movie, imho.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The more I see, the less I like.
  • Options
    What strikes me most is that everytime I see a new image from the movie, it's in black and white or monocrhome. One of the most colorful heroes in fiction, and they're bleaching the color right out of him!
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I still have reservations about this, but I'm also pleased to see them at least try to break away from past Superman films. The last thing I want to see is another homage to Richard Donner.
  • Options
    I may not want to see another homage to Richard Donner, but I sure don't want something that's 180 degrees in the other direction either. I want to see something that continues in the spirit of what Donner did without being slavish to his films.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    David_D said:

If they got an actress in her late 20s that carried herself with the confidence that Margot Kidder did in her late 20s, then cool. But I would much rather someone in their 30s or older than have to try to believe a wisp of a thing like Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane again (and that is not a reference to her physical size, but to the size of her screen presence). I think Amy Adams is a great choice. And if she is older than Clark, well, coo coo ca choo. Besides she reads (and often convincingly plays) younger than her age, and Cavil looks older than his age to me in what I have seen. I think it'll work.

Exactly...I really don't like that a lot of these movies are populated by late teens and twentysomethings. This isn't the CW. I bet the average age of the Avengers is somewhere in the mid 30s. Kate Bosworth was not good but there were so many problems with Superman Returns its hard to say if she was anywhere near the top.

Man of Steel is doing one thing right. Complete separation from the old movies. The main issue with Superman Returns was how indebted to Superman 1 and 2 it was...but it wasn't a direct sequel and it wasn't a restart it was just kind of weird. In my opinion it was almost a remake of the first Donner movie (which also falls apart in the final third). To all the complainers: If they are basing a lot of it on Birthright it makes sense for him to be on a fishing boat.
  • Options
    JDick said:

To all the complainers: If they are basing a lot of it on Birthright it makes sense for him to be on a fishing boat.

If they're going to base the movie on Birthright, I just might skip it after all.

• Options

JDick said:

To all the complainers: If they are basing a lot of it on Birthright it makes sense for him to be on a fishing boat.

If they're going to base the movie on Birthright, I just might skip it after all.

I think this poster looks good. Its a very subdued symbolic type of approach for the movie. And IF the movie is based on Birthright, I would be more than excited, as that is my fav comic of all time. The more I see/hear about this, the more excited I am getting. That trailer can't come soon enough!
  • Options
    Lots of excitement here.

Am I the only one who would like to see a Superman in his late 30s/early 40s? A hardened, wise Superman? I have no problem with the actors not being in their early 30's. I want superheroes to be men and women, not guys and gals. Does anybody else feel this way?
  • Options
    JimKelly said:

Lots of excitement here.

Am I the only one who would like to see a Superman in his late 30s/early 40s? A hardened, wise Superman? I have no problem with the actors not being in their early 30's. I want superheroes to be men and women, not guys and gals. Does anybody else feel this way?

I agree. Not just in the movies, either, but also in the comics. Since the New52 revamp, the character appears so much younger that Lois looks more like his Mom than a potential love interest. I always feel like I'm looking at Superboy rather than Superman.
  • Options

JimKelly said:

Lots of excitement here.

I agree. Not just in the movies, either, but also in the comics. Since the New52 revamp, the character appears so much younger that Lois looks more like his Mom than a potential love interest. I always feel like I'm looking at Superboy rather than Superman.

You think Lois looks more like his mom even though they are said to be essentially the same age? 25-28 (I can't figure out how old everyone really is but they say in Superman #14 that Lois is not yet 30)
  • Options
    Planeis said:

JimKelly said:

Lots of excitement here.

You think Lois looks more like his mom even though they are said to be essentially the same age? 25-28 (I can't figure out how old everyone really is but they say in Superman #14 that Lois is not yet 30)
    That may be, but you can't tell it by looking at them. Lois looks like she's been around the corporate block a few times and the mileage is showing, whereas Superman looks like he and Jimmy should be hanging out at the corner Starbucks together, protesting with the rest of the 99%. Superman always used to look like the most mature person in the room in terms of age and experience; now he looks like he's barely old enough to be the building barista boy.
  • Options

Planeis said:

JimKelly said:

Lots of excitement here.

That may be, but you can't tell it by looking at them. Lois looks like she's been around the corporate block a few times and the mileage is showing, whereas Superman looks like he and Jimmy should be hanging out at the corner Starbucks together, protesting with the rest of the 99%. Superman always used to look like the most mature person in the room in terms of age and experience; now he looks like he's barely old enough to be the building barista boy.
    Well, I can't go with you on Lois seeming old, but I can go with you on Superman/Clark appearing very very very young. The way he's drawn and written. Not sure if you've read Superman #14, but good lord... the dialogue is awful. Really makes Clark seem like a child. Really don't care for the art either.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Yep - the trailer definitely has that Zack Snyder feel (or shine or rather gloom).
    Guess there won't be too many (intentional) laughs in it. Right now I'd be in the mood for this.
  • Options
    Boom goes the dynamite
  • Options
    What's the first word? "Thoughts"?
  • Options
    edited December 2012

What's the first word? "Thoughts"?

I thought he said "The World's too big mom" but after listening to it again I don't know.

Upon further review, thats what he says... here's the trailer with subtitles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJWKGZRXJU
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's "The worlds' too big mom."

That was quite the trailer. I am cautiously excited.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I was a little thrown by Pa Kent's line about maybe letting a busload of children die rather than reveal himself. That's an odd take on that character, but at least it sets up a different dynamic that might be interesting.

It might end up being too gloomy or dark, but at least it feels more contemporary than the last film.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I think it looks good. It might be a gloomy version of Superman but the action looks like it will be intense. I get the same sort of vibe I got watching the trailer for the rebooted Star Trek for the first time...and I ended up loving that movie.