Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman #10 (Spoilers)

Another warning: I am going to spoil away, so if you haven't read Batman #10 yet, GO AWAY :)

Besides Earth 2, I've made Batman my other title I'm collecting monthly (I haven't collected a monthly title in over 5 years.) I decided to get caught up to the current issue this week because I heard something major is revealed.

BOY, WAS IT!!

I honestly did not see it coming, and I find it to be totally plausible that Bruce has had a brother all this time. I love that he's basically Owlman from Earth 3.

I'm so glad I got to read this before it spoiled anywhere. It's nice to be reading something monthly again and have some surprises :)

This book is SOOO good, and it was a joy to read 8 issues in the last 2 days :) I think I made the right choice for a monthly book.

What'd everybody else think?

Comments

• Options
    I guess I'm an Owlman dunce because I didn't catch all of that. Looks like I'll be spending some time on Wikipedia.

I love this title. I mean, the reveal was a logical guess just based on the appalling resemblance of the characters, but panel for panel this book really keeps me engaged. I really pour over the issues and generally read them a few times. Been a long, long time since I could say that.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I haven't read Batman in years. This revelation will not bring me back. It seemed like only a matter of time before the character was crowbarred into continuity. Maybe Adam West will get his wish & an uncle will also be introduced!!

First a son and now a brother. Batman was always better off a loner and outcast!

M
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Yeah that was pretty crazy. I hope it plays out well because this is the first major change to batman in the new 52. I am really enjoying this title to. The backup story is also pretty interesting right now.
  • Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78

I am also enjoying this run but have to wonder why Alfred would not have told any of this to Bruce. He is such a loyal friend to Bruce and so important in the Batman's operation I can't imagine him never telling Bruce he had a brother.
  • Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161

I am also enjoying this run but have to wonder why Alfred would not have told any of this to Bruce. He is such a loyal friend to Bruce and so important in the Batman's operation I can't imagine him never telling Bruce he had a brother.
    I assume Alfred didn't know either.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    This is why I hate this idea and will keep even more distance from the books. Let's assume Alfred didn't know (giving him the benefit of the doubt), but I always saw Bruce's parents as being upstanding, honest, good-hearted people.

Now, since I didn't read the issue, I don't know if they knew the brother was raised in an institute. If they did, than never mentioning the son, visiting the son, or having any types of pictures at the Manor completely tarnishes their character.

If they thought he was killed at birth, again no mention, no large gravesite at the Wayne family cemetery, nothing.

Plus, I always presumed Bruce has researched his family tree. Nothing there, either?

Whether you liked Hush & Black Mask or not, crowbarring them into Batman's past had less of a ripple effect than this.

Hell, I'd buy the chance Bane was Batman's 1/2 brother before this!

If Morrison's run didn't kill my interest in Batman, this issue would've.

M
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I made a Batman Snyder rant post for just these reasons (and more actually) the more you think into it all the dumber it all becomes. Not noticing a pin known to symbolize a parent with a kid at the institution when it is a huge painting/portrait in front of you daily is not so hot for the world's best detective. There are so many flaws and holes and what is more unfortunate is that a few of them could have been re-written to be less groan-inducing with little effort and then I'd be more OK with just accepting the rest. Even if this is a red herring and Snyder gives a big PSYCHE! just playing! next issue it won't help. Just a poorly executed, tired, ending to an otherwise mostly enjoyable run. This run even without this last bit was enjoyable but just good, I think there has been such a lack of even competent Batman for a while and the glow/halo around Snyder in the hype dept has people really looking past a lot and cheering over a middling-quality story with great art. When the bar is set low enough you don't have to work too hard to blow it away. This is like a popcorn flick, you have to be the type to not think too much into it all and just be happy to take what is given... that's not my M.O.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Batman has a brother who is now a villan! Da da da da! I don't care how well written or drawn it is. That is a
    Fundamentally lame story.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    Batman has a brother who is now a villan! Da da da da! I don't care how well written or drawn it is. That is a
    Fundamentally lame story.
    The idea itself is NOT lame - the execution of that idea was.
    With that awesome artwork and with a bit more finesse in writing, more could have been done with that idea.

• Options
    I agree tha artwork was awesome and I don't even think it was poorly written but the unknown brother that show up as a villan is the definition of trite. I think there is no way to finesse that into anything compelling.
  • Options
    Did you ever see the original Dawn of the Dead? One of the most heartbreaking scenes in film history is when Roger, our point of view character,has been bitten by zombies and his buddy Peter is waiting for him to turn so he can shoot him. For me,this scene has some real weight.

In the remake, to artificially add weight to their version of that scene, they mention that Matt Frewer's character is the little girls dad and only remaining family. This fails in my opinion because we've only met the character 15 minutes ago. Giving a character the title of "relative" does not make them compelling.

Jason Todd's reveal a the Red Hood is much more compelling than a character we've only known for 10 issues being revealed as a brother.

I stand by my statement. This is a fundamentally lame concept.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I agree tha artwork was awesome and I don't even think it was poorly written but the unknown brother that show up as a villan is the definition of trite. I think there is no way to finesse that into anything compelling.
    well that now would be a challenge for a true master in writing ;)
  • Options
    Lol okay Mr. Steed. :-??
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited June 2012
    I figure any idea that sounds lame cane be done quite well.

(Current Scarlet Spider, X-23, both recent X-Force series, Damien Wayne, etc)

I've yet to finish this story, so I can't judge for myself yet.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Thomas Wayne, Jr. was actually introduced, pre-Crisis (does that mean anything anymore?!?), in the mid-70's. And, guess what? He had been committed to a mental institution as a child after suffering brain damage. Batman was completely unaware of his existence, and he did eventually become a villain called the "Boomerang Killer."
    Thomas Wayne, Jr. was introduced by Bob Haney, who was notorious for crazy-ass stories that paid no attention to continuity or consistent characterization. And there was no "eventually". He became the Boomerang Killer the first time we saw him. The second time we saw him, he died.
  • Options
    Huh. Cool that's all stuff I didn't know. Still think its overused but that background information at least gives a reason for why they would take that route. I actually feel a little better about that whole storyline now. Still lame but understandably lame?
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Thomas Wayne, Jr. was actually introduced, pre-Crisis (does that mean anything anymore?!?), in the mid-70's. And, guess what? He had been committed to a mental institution as a child after suffering brain damage. Batman was completely unaware of his existence, and he did eventually become a villain called the "Boomerang Killer."
    Thomas Wayne, Jr. was introduced by Bob Haney, who was notorious for crazy-ass stories that paid no attention to continuity or consistent characterization. And there was no "eventually". He became the Boomerang Killer the first time we saw him. The second time we saw him, he died.
    Yeah, not even Morrison was going back to the well for Haney stuff. That's... obscure.

So if Brave and the Bold stuff is back on the table, how long until we see the Super Sons? Or, better still, this?

Yes, the Batman digs this day.
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    If there's a Bulwer-Lytton style comic page contest, that one may be the inspiration.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I wasn't really referring to "eventually" as he had an arc or longtime standing. Just that in his "life," he eventually became the Boomerang Killer.

Should have phrased it more clearly. My apologies.
  • Options
    Well, I can't debate what people should like and not like. Maybe I'm easily amused, but I loved the reveal. I'll hold out on judgement with Thomas and Martha Wayne's involvement until I read the whole story.
  • Options
    With all these reveals soon Bruce will have to let go of the 'mummy & daddy died' plot and start thinking more about settling down into family life and thinking about their future. Wonder when his twin sisters, step dad, dads concubine, mum lesbian lover and Ace will fall out of the next closet he opens?
  • Options
    So if Brave and the Bold stuff is back on the table, how long until we see the Super Sons? Or, better still, this?
    True confessions: I loved the Super Sons! I was exactly the right teen angtsy age when those stories were coming out. My favorite part was how their mothers' faces were always obscured.
  • Options
    I really dig Batman casually strolling down the sunlit street checking out the miniskirts & smelling the flowers.

Is the art Neal Adams or Jim Aparo at his Adams clone-iest?
  • Options
    I wasn't really referring to "eventually" as he had an arc or longtime standing. Just that in his "life," he eventually became the Boomerang Killer.

Should have phrased it more clearly. My apologies.
    No apologies necessary.

I just wanted an excuse to derail this thread with Bob Haney goofiness!
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

M
    Obviously your opinion isn't wrong (it is your opinion), but don't you think you should at least try to read it before you discount it? Maybe you would read it and hate it even more, but you should at least give it a shot. And also I think you already have stated that you have zero interest in Batman anymore, so hopefully it's not keeping you up at night.

For example I swore off all Morisson books, but when I heard Action was good in the new 52 I gave it a shot, one issue. Turns out I really enjoy it. I just don't want you to maybe miss out on a series you may enjoy (Batman). You can always borrow the issues from the guys!
  • Options

M
    Obviously your opinion isn't wrong (it is your opinion), but don't you think you should at least try to read it before you discount it? Maybe you would read it and hate it even more, but you should at least give it a shot. And also I think you already have stated that you have zero interest in Batman anymore, so hopefully it's not keeping you up at night.

For example I swore off all Morisson books, but when I heard Action was good in the new 52 I gave it a shot, one issue. Turns out I really enjoy it. I just don't want you to maybe miss out on a series you may enjoy (Batman). You can always borrow the issues from the guys!
    I'm not sure if you're referencing Snyder's run or Morrison's run. Either way, I'm familiar with what's happening and not interested. Reading the issues might having very good storytelling, but the plotpoints won't change from what I already know happens.

Both writers are doing Bruce Wayne stories. I prefer Batman stories. If there are 3 consecutive issues of Spidey or Superman without touching on Peter or Clark's life, something is glaringly missing. If there's a year's worth of issues without seeing Bruce or "his" life, nothing seems to be wrong.

A son, a (possible) brother, a "death", a "rebirth", corporation, bat-ra (or whatever), all things I don't find interesting.

M
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Is the art Neal Adams or Jim Aparo at his Adams clone-iest?
    Did some digging.

It is Jim Aparo at his Adams-cloniest.

BTW: Morrison cites this as one of his favorite Batman panels.
  • Options
    Reading wiki is hardly the same experience as reading the actual book. All the energy and excitement is conveyed in the masterful Capullo drawings. Wiki is not going to supply you with that.

And I would disagree that this is a Bruce story. Bruce and Batman are inseparable in this new 52 era in my opinion. Bruce remains the disguise Batman wears.

Your opinion is yours, I know that, but you want it to be an informed opinion which it is not.
    I don't like oysters. I had that opinion for years but it was not an informed opinion until I actually ate some.
    I feel you aren't enjoying batman more because you choose not to, not because of the content. There hasn't been a period of batman that has been the rock solid basis for all batman stories. Like all comics it has an ebb and flow. Some periods are more interesting to certain people than others, but that doesn't make them bad.
    Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil run was the defining batman for me. Sure I compare all other to it but batman remains batman, one of the best characters ever.
    Alan Davis' run was superb, but hardly the grim gritty batman I prefer. Still, I loved it.
    All the crossover shenanigans thru the 90s and early 2000s really turned me off, but I still occasionally touched base with batman to see where he was. When he came around to doing things I enjoyed I stayed on longer.
    Batman as a myth must grow. If it stagnates it lessens itself.

So, Matt, pick up a few batman books and decide if you like them rather than gleaning the surface of what someone else writes. Make up your mind from the source. Please.
  • Options
    Mike, I also LOVE Capullo's art. I love Synder's writing, but I don't think it would hit me as hard if it weren't for Capullo's facial expressions. My favorite part of the whole run so far? Batman smirks once in a while :)
    Reading wiki is hardly the same experience as reading the actual book. All the energy and excitement is conveyed in the masterful Capullo drawings. Wiki is not going to supply you with that.

And I would disagree that this is a Bruce story. Bruce and Batman are inseparable in this new 52 era in my opinion. Bruce remains the disguise Batman wears.

Your opinion is yours, I know that, but you want it to be an informed opinion which it is not.
    I don't like oysters. I had that opinion for years but it was not an informed opinion until I actually ate some.
    I feel you aren't enjoying batman more because you choose not to, not because of the content. There hasn't been a period of batman that has been the rock solid basis for all batman stories. Like all comics it has an ebb and flow. Some periods are more interesting to certain people than others, but that doesn't make them bad.
    Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil run was the defining batman for me. Sure I compare all other to it but batman remains batman, one of the best characters ever.
    Alan Davis' run was superb, but hardly the grim gritty batman I prefer. Still, I loved it.
    All the crossover shenanigans thru the 90s and early 2000s really turned me off, but I still occasionally touched base with batman to see where he was. When he came around to doing things I enjoyed I stayed on longer.
    Batman as a myth must grow. If it stagnates it lessens itself.

So, Matt, pick up a few batman books and decide if you like them rather than gleaning the surface of what someone else writes. Make up your mind from the source. Please.