Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman #10 (Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2012
    Reading wiki is hardly the same experience as reading the actual book. All the energy and excitement is conveyed in the masterful Capullo drawings. Wiki is not going to supply you with that.

And I would disagree that this is a Bruce story. Bruce and Batman are inseparable in this new 52 era in my opinion. Bruce remains the disguise Batman wears.

Your opinion is yours, I know that, but you want it to be an informed opinion which it is not.
    I don't like oysters. I had that opinion for years but it was not an informed opinion until I actually ate some.
    I feel you aren't enjoying batman more because you choose not to, not because of the content. There hasn't been a period of batman that has been the rock solid basis for all batman stories. Like all comics it has an ebb and flow. Some periods are more interesting to certain people than others, but that doesn't make them bad.
    Neal Adams/Denny O'Neil run was the defining batman for me. Sure I compare all other to it but batman remains batman, one of the best characters ever.
    Alan Davis' run was superb, but hardly the grim gritty batman I prefer. Still, I loved it.
    All the crossover shenanigans thru the 90s and early 2000s really turned me off, but I still occasionally touched base with batman to see where he was. When he came around to doing things I enjoyed I stayed on longer.
    Batman as a myth must grow. If it stagnates it lessens itself.

So, Matt, pick up a few batman books and decide if you like them rather than gleaning the surface of what someone else writes. Make up your mind from the source. Please.
    I don't just stick to wiki, I see images, read reviews, portions on site...so I do get more of an overview besides reading what happens. I'm no interested in a Bruce/Batman inseparable Batman. I still prefer the "Batman is the guy, Bruce is the mask." I like my Batman less "soft and imperfect" (to use your own descriptions), and more jaded, master tactician and battle-worn. Definitely NOT a Batman who'd accept a letter from an occasional ally, conducted NO tests for verification, and cry.

I'd argue my opinion is not an informed opinion. It's generated on what I like for this particular character and what I don't care for. Think about the last TV show that you saw previews for, read a description of what the show will be about, and thought "yeah, I'll pass." Did you give the show a chance regardless of the preview and description not appealing to you? How did you base your opinion about not watching? If you did watch, how many episodes before you stopped watching?

I don't care for magic in general, so the Harry Potter books might be dynamite books and movies, but a major theme in this universe has NO interest to me...hence why I stay away.

I did not say Snyder's run sucks or bad, I just don't care for it. There are too many things over the past few years that seem to be bogging Bruce Wayne down. The examples I stated in a prior post are character points I don't feel belong with THIS character. I don't care for Bruce Wayne stories. I want Batman stories. If this new 52 is making them inseparable, than it's a current version I just have no interest in. It can be the status quo for the next 20 years, the only enjoyment I'll benefit from it is by saving money.

M.
  • Options
    Batman, as you see him Matt, to me, is Superman.
    What brings Batman down to earth and makes him extraordinary is fallibility and the ability to overcome it.

@trustimusti I've always liked Capullo. His ability to take his cartoony style and ground it in reality is something to behold indeed.
    As I mentioned in the ep, those action sequences are astoundingly good. There is such an emotional impact in them that I get caught up in it rather than feel like I'm reading it or studying it.
    The talons, despite having no face to see, all exude through their body language what they are thinking.
    He really sells those oh shit moments as well!
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Batman, as you see him Matt, to me, is Superman.
    What brings Batman down to earth and makes him extraordinary is fallibility and the ability to overcome it.
    That's one of the best parts of the two characters: Clark would like to be more flawed and human, Batman tries to be less flawed. The problem for Batman; sometimes staying 10 steps ahead means you miss the things right in front of you.

M.