Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New DC Logo

This discussion was created from comments split from: Question vs. Discussion.

Comments

• Options
    Spyral66Spyral66 Posts: 2
    Do you agree that the new DC logo is useless? It doesn't even look like the letters DC-someone should get their arse kicked over this!
  • Options
    Kat_RochaKat_Rocha Posts: 21
    I did a paper in my Marketing class on the pros and cons of that lable. It has all the right ideas, but fails on the execution.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't 100% agree that it's useless. It's more corporate than previous looking logos but I don't dislike it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'm not terribly familiar with discussion, but I'm guessing that the Question can take him 9 falls out of 10. B-)
  • Options
    I like how it can vary with whatever IP DC wants to promote. Change is gonna happen.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    I did a paper in my Marketing class on the pros and cons of that lable. It has all the right ideas, but fails on the execution.
    I'd have to disagree. When I first saw it in just the gray color, it was really a bad turnoff. Now that I've seen it on trades and comics, it actually doesn't look that bad, but then again this is all a taste thing.
  • Options
    This may be a question for the CGS guys. Does listening to CGS on my ipod through "Stitcher" throw off any numbers of listening or download numbers for the crew? Would it be better for me to go straight through itunes. The convenience of the stitcher app is confusing to me. Why has itunes never had these great features?
  • Options
    TheVaultTheVault Posts: 4
    I own a comic shop and I will have to say, there is something about the uniformity of the comics. They really stand out when you put the new comics out on the shelf.
  • Options
    I thought it looked ugly as hell when I saw it first, but when I've seen it on the DC Nation shows and on the shelves. It's grown on me.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited March 2012
    Is it 21 century IP great yeah and for DC as a brand hopefully worldwide. Me personally well not so much. Then again the DC bullet logo that lasted 28 years is my personal favorite with the DC spin logo not bad.

Matthew
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I hate the logo. Especially one particular point: As I understand it, it's a D pasted over a C, and then peeled back. But if you peeled the D back on itself, you would see the hollow part of the D. But you don't, it's solid. That really bugs me!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    To quote John Parker in Buckaroo Banzai, "It's a very bad design."
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I don't really care.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It's growing on me. It's still a far cry from the classic design of the Milton Glaser DC bullet, but I think I like it better than the star swirl. The adaptability of the design to whichever character/concept color scheme they want is pretty cool, if nothing else.
  • Options
    I like it when they apply a visual theme to it, but by itself it just looks like it's sticking out its tongue at you.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Didn't care for it at first but I'm warming up to it. In another 10-15 years they'll change it again and we'll probably be lamenting the loss of this particular design.
  • Options
    I wish that they would go back to the bullet too, but that's because I'm old. That said, I agree with the majority, in actual use it's fine, but it looked wierd stand alone.
  • Options
    I wish they'd go back to the groovy checkerboard.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    To quote John Parker in Buckaroo Banzai, "It's a very bad design."
    That pulled a legitimate lol out of me! You are awesome!
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    When the public was first presented with this:

I was underwhelmed.

Then, we were shown the potential for what the logo could be:

I was legitimately jazzed about it. I thought that having a logo that could be interpretted to relate to the product it was on while maintaining a line-wide recognizability was a fantastic opportunity.

And it was... but we didn't really get that. Instead, I think pretty much across the board we got:

Which, while much better than the b&w initial release, it doesn't have a bit of the "pop" that the personalized logos had.

I don't hate it, but I hate that they showed me how much better it could be and then didn't do that.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I'm surprised how much of the old "swoosh" logo we're still seeing, on the cover of Batman: Earth One and the Dark Knight Rises trailers.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I miss the bullet.

And so does my girlfriend. ;)

Heyoooooooooo
  • Options
    I still don't find this logo a-peel-ing.
  • Options
    When the public was first presented with this:

I was underwhelmed.

Then, we were shown the potential for what the logo could be:

I was legitimately jazzed about it. I thought that having a logo that could be interpretted to relate to the product it was on while maintaining a line-wide recognizability was a fantastic opportunity.

And it was... but we didn't really get that. Instead, I think pretty much across the board we got:

Which, while much better than the b&w initial release, it doesn't have a bit of the "pop" that the personalized logos had.

I don't hate it, but I hate that they showed me how much better it could be and then didn't do that.
    But they could have done those treatments with any logo...including the swoosh or the bullet one.

Still underwhelmed.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited June 2012
    Photobucket

Watchmen DC logo - are there more examples of books where the new logo "fits"?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Posts: 62
    Any logo that actually needs to repeat itself with a basic font directly underneath is a bad design with bad execution. A good logo should be iconic and instantly recognisable without needing further explanation. The DC bullet was the most instantly recognisable logo that company had, it's a shame it's not used anymore.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I agree this new design is not terribly dynamic.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    The old logo was so nice and clean cut. The new one, not so much. I don't get it