Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1241 Talkback: Spotlight on GI Joe in Comics

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited June 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
We've put the spotlight on the GI Joe toys in the past, but now we shine that light on the comic books. Our emphasis is mainly on the Marvel Comics series started by Larry Hama, but we do touch on the recent series from IDW as well. Chris from Wild Pig Comics joins us again to discuss this great run of comics. (1:29:21)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    YEAH! for more Chris <:-P
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I can't wait to listen to this one. Quitting time can't get here fast enough.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Wow. Should be a great episode. I so hope that someone talked about the issue with the dog fight between Ace and Wild Weasel. That was one of my favorite issues.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited June 2012
    Byrne had no words in one of three issues in a story arc called "The Many Deaths of Batman" in Batman.

Matthew
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    issue 45 was the only g.i. joe comic i owned from the time it came out til a couple years ago when idw got the license. loved it with zartan on the cover. in the past year or two i've picked up for cheap and read the first 2 tpb volumes of classic g.i. joe... wonderful stuff!
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Absolutely fantastic episode, gentlemen. As a child of the 80s, I have a continuing soft spot for G.I. Joe. I like to think it's part of the reason I actually joined the military when I was younger!

Shane, Steeler is my favorite Joe as well, and I know many think he's goofy, but I've always really liked Serpentor as well.

And continuing the Joe/Transformers connections, there's a Transformers character named Marissa Fairborne who is the daughter of Flint and Lady Jaye.
  • Options
    WHAT??? You guys cover G.I. Joe and don't ask your friends from Star Joes to join in? WTF?? LOL

Looking forward to listening.

If you guys ever decide to cover Star War, Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, Masters of teh Universe (I actually emailed about your Off the Racks for July where you'll be covering Masters of the Universe #1. So let me know), or any other 80s property, please feel free to reach out to me, and we would love to come on with our info and opinions on these properties.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Byrne had no words in one of three issues in a story arc called "The Many Deaths of Batman" in Batman.

Matthew
    If you want to get technical, there were two words in that issue ("Get out"). Although, Byrne did say that if he knew that Jim Aparo was going to be drawing the story, he would have left even those out.

It was Batman 433 for those that are curious.
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited June 2012
    Matt mentioned Snake-Eye's face was not as bad as he would have thought, but before that reveal Snake-Eyes had undergone extensive plastic surgery before the reveal.

Matt also mentioned how vets were treated coming back from Vietnam. I am pretty sure Hama depicted a scene from a flashback of some one spitting on one of the joes when they came home.
  • Options
    Being from the UK, GI Joe wasn't something that was big over here. We had Action Force which was similar and that had its own weekly comic.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I remember seeing the TV ad for the first issue and having my mind blown by the idea of seeing comics advertised on television. And such a cool looking comic, too! I knew I had to have it. So when I saw it at the corner store I was all set to get it... when my parents said no, because it was one of their fancy paper $1.50 first issues and they couldn't believe a "funny book" would cost that much! But at least I did eventually get the Marvel Treasury Edition reprint of it in my Christmas stocking later that year, so I finally got to read it. Interestingly, though, the cover price of the Treasury Edition? $1.50. #-o
  • Options
    I'm hoping that IDW will do some trades of the Action Force stuff. They have been coming out with the Transformers UK stuff and it's been great.

Haven't heard the episode yet, so not sure f it was mentioned, but IDW. Is coming out with hardcover editions of the Marvel run of GI Joe this Fall. Looking forward to that.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Matt mentioned Snake-Eye's face was not as bad as he would have thought, but before that reveal Snake-Eyes had undergone extensive plastic surgery before the reveal.

Matt also mentioned how vets were treated coming back from Vietnam. I am pretty sure Hama depicted a scene from a flashback of some one spitting on one of the joes when they came home.
    If memory serves, the reveal was done before the extensive surgery. I believe there was a line for Snake-Eyes to take one final look at his face before the surgery.

Following the surgery, he got a burning liquid thrown into his face.

M
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Over here in the UK the 12 inch G.I. Joe toy is known as Action Man and is still going strong. There are Action Man comics as well.

I would be interested in an episode about Rom and the Micronauts and Bill Mantlo.
    If it got us to throw a few bucks at the Hero Initiative that would be a good thing too.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Matthew
    If you want to get technical, there were two words in that issue ("Get out"). Although, Byrne did say that if he knew that Jim Aparo was going to be drawing the story, he would have left even those out.

It was Batman 433 for those that are curious.
    Kyle, I continue to be astounded by the breadth of knowledge you demonstrate. Wow.

Okay so...here is the 30 year old memory...coupla joes and an old fat ninja, coupla baddies lost in the jungle. after the first conflict the old fat ninja gives the baddies their weapons BACK and shoos them off. Young joe with him justifiably says WTH?!

Old Fat Ninja (that may need to be my new login ID) says (and I'm going to paraphrase the hell out of this) Give a man a weapon and he will use it. We know their capabilities and their limits, take it away and we force him to invent some hellish new thing that we cannot predict.

Man, I was blown away like I had just read some piece of Devine wisdom from ancient scripture.
  • Options
    Great job, guys!! Chris's knowledge on these subjects you have him on for just astounds me.

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode. My first issue of the run was #4. I never continued with the issues all the way through, but I would get an issue here or there. I just didn't get many comics in the 80's, but I made up for it later in life.

And seriously, if there is any chance to come on the show to help cover the He-Man #1 issue or if you ever do a spotlight on the Transformers comic (with them having their relaunch continuation of the Marvel run through IDW), much like Chris, we would totally honored to join you.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Over here in the UK the 12 inch G.I. Joe toy is known as Action Man and is still going strong. There are Action Man comics as well.
    Same for the German speaking world. Bought lots of them toys for my son. Also some of the video games. And for years there has been a Action Man cartoon on TV. Now the toys are all stored away. The kids grow up way too fast.
  • Options
    I liked the "Go Joe!" at the end. It made me laugh.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Awesome episode guys.

The GI Joe comic was always hard to find in the small town where I grew up. I was able to get #1-6 but #7 and up became a treasure hunt and I was rarely able to get sequential issues again until after the GI Joe/Transformers mini.

I didn't care for the toys until a year or so after they hit the shelves and I was mainly interested in the Cobra side of it, which worked out, I had all the of the Cobra stuff and my best friend had all of the Joes. When I was about 16/17 years old I gave all of my Joes and Transformers to him and until listening to this episode I never once regretted it. Kinda kicking myself in the ass now. Time to hit the flea market.

I wasn't into the cartoon a great deal but I watched it all because of Snake Eyes and Destro. I remember the movie that Introduced Cobra La and freaking out when Duke got nailed by Serpentor. Nemesis Enforcer is still one of my favorite figures.

I would like to second the motion for a Transformers spotlight epidose. Both my son and I have really been digging IDW's run and the relaunch of the Marvel run has me stocked.
  • Options
    GonzogooseGonzogoose Posts: 66
    Excellent episode guys. I'm a huge G.I. Joe fan, so when I saw this I had to give it a listen. I still have all my 3 3/4" Joes and vehicles (though the vehicles are mostly in disarray), and my Joe comics are one of the few collections I won't get rid of.

G.I. Joe was the first comic I started collecting regularly and every week I'd be a couple of back issues since I started it late, about '89. And Larry Hama was a genius with most of that Marvel run.

I would agree that the first 50 or 60 are the strongest, though I actually did enjoy 98 through about 119 or so as well. After that it started to get a bit crazy with all the toy tie-ins and ninja stuff (though I do love Snake Eyes).

As far-fetched as it was, I loved the animated movie. The live-action movie was horrible. And Resolute, I agree, was fantastic.

So thanks for doing this one, guys. It got me through some work with a nice bit of nostalgia and excitement reliving those moments from the comics as you guys discussed them.

OH, and I totally remember that episode of Transformers with the faux Cobra Commander and the coughing. It's as vivid in my mind as the first time I saw it. Classic!
  • Options
    The viper who killed all the Joes was the S.A.W. Viper.

I concur that GI Joe Resolute is absolutely amazing. Similar to that was the G.I. Joe Reloaded comic, which was a gritty more mature take on the property in comic form. It was done by Devil's Due. It only lasted 14 issues, plus the G.I. Joe Reborn and Cobra Reborn issues.

Also, just for clarification, the Image run turned into the Devil's Due run. Image was like the parent company of sorts, so it just kinda transitioned over. Then after that they relaunched it with G.I. Joe: America's Elite, which is the run that had the World War III story you mentioned (which i agree is woefully underprinted out there).

IDW has been re-releasing the Image/Devil's Due stuff in trades titles G.I. Joe: Disavowed. If you have seen those in listings, those are the trades of the Devil's Due run.

Current Joe artist, Robert Atkins, got his start by drawing for those Snake-Eyes Declassified issues. I think he did #2 and #3, but I might have the numbers wrong. They are extremely hard to find.

I can't say enough great things about the IDW take of the Joe property. Cobra has become my favorite comic series on GI Joe ever done. We had the writer Mike Costa on our show recently, and he was very forthcoming of things he has planned coming up. I strongly suggest that anyone interested in the current IDW G.I. Joe stuff to check out our podcast (Star Joes), and if nothing else check out that interview we did with Mike Costa.
  • Options
    I'd go past first 50 up until first 80 because that way you include the Cobra Civil War.

And I'd sorta go with the suggestion for a Transformers spotlight. I say sorta for one reason. I've read every issue of the original Marvel US run (and a good chunk of the UK run as well) and it's part of the reason I'm so into comics and while I'm not current I am reading the IDW stuff. The only reason it gets sorta is because I don't think any of the other geeks are/were reading it so I don't know how good the discussion would go. We all love Pants' questions, but if everybody is Pants and nobody can answer the questions, it wouldn't be all that great an episode. Unless of course you get someone else in the studio (or on the phone) with you who knows more.
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    edited June 2012
    Not through listening (though I am close), but I'm loving this episode. Just a couple of quick comments:

1) as Matt mentioned above in the thread, we did see Snake-Eyes' face before he got the plastic surgery. And I distinctly remember being so let down with that. He hardly looked disfigured, let alone someone who had been burned with jet fuel. I actually wrote a short post on it (coupled with Flash's disfigured face) over at my "home on the 'net," Warrior27.

2) G.I. Joe #60 - yeah, it had Todd McFarlane's art. I remember how different it was; it really stood out. My guess - though I've never seen it - is that the McFarlane G.I. Joe special just reprinted the book as is because his art was definitely on display in that original issue.

chris
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I went to Denver Comic Con last week, and toward the end of the day on Sunday, I came upon a guy in a booth selling toys. He had a Sigma 6 Destro and Storm Shadow left. I picked both of them up for $10, came home and gave them to my son (7). He loved Storm Shadow and has since begun watching the original cartoon on Netflix. It is so much fun to watch as he's been going around humming the theme song and crying out, "Yo, Joe!" when playing.

I didn't start collecting Transformers or Star Wars figures until I got older (my parents argued they were too expensive, and I have to agree with them), but we always had G.I.Joe (maybe because my dad was a Marine and could justify me getting military style toys?). My favorite--and I think its still somewhere in my parents basement--was the Skystriker F-14 Tomcat. I loved how the wheels and wings swept in and out. I also remember the first time I saw Top Gun I couldn't believe they stole the Skystriker from G.I.Joe. I have so many memories playing with it. However, I never got into the Joe comic as I believe I was too young. I also went through an anti-Joe phase in the late 90s as Hasbro seemed to really screw up the line. Yet, in my early 30s now, I really miss the toys and wish I still had all of mine.

Thanks for a wonderful episode!
  • Options
    FlagwaverFlagwaver Posts: 140
    G.I.JOE: A Real American Hero is one of my all-time favorite series, at least most of it. I have the complete series, plus the Special Missions, Yearbooks and Order of Battle, as well as the Image/ Devil's Due and IDW series. Heck, I even have the first issue of the Dark Horse run. Larry Hama will be here next week for the Derby City Comic Con and I look forward to thanking him for the years of entertainment he gave me. Hopefully, I can even get a sketch from him.
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I really enjoyed this episode!

G.I. Joe is what got me in to comics. The first comic I ever bought was G.I. Joe 85. It made me a comic book fan.

This look back at this awesome series was great! I enjoyed hearing from people that know it through and through.
  • Options

Kyle, I continue to be astounded by the breadth of knowledge you demonstrate. Wow.
    I finished listening to the episode today and would be remiss if I didn't point out that Matt actually did say the same thing about the Batman issue, that it did have two words in it. I don't know if I'd consider myself having that much of a breadth of knowledge. Basically, if you had a Muddle the Moyer contest, but all three questions had to be from something that I read as a child or teenager, you wouldn't even need to offer prizes because I would never get three in a row wrong. But that's a very limited subset of comic books, so it would be a pretty boring competition after a while and in anything else, I'd get my butt whooped.

But since I did read G.I. Joe as a child, here are a few comments on the episode.

Matt was completely correct in everything he said about Duke dying in the G.I. Joe animated movie, but one thing I don't think he mentioned was that the movie was supposed to be released to theaters. It was supposed to be a follow up to Transformers the Movie. But that didn't do so hot in theaters and one of the things that did not go over well was the death of Optimus Prime so in addition to that being the reason Duke survived, it's also the reason it was never released in theaters.

And speaking of the Transformers, it's also worth noting that the Transformers actually did NOT have a comic when they appeared in the G.I. Joe monthly series proper. There was the G.I. Joe vs. Transformers series released at the height of both series' popularity. That series was a big part of the Transformers continuity because it explained how Bumblebee became Goldbug, but it was completely ignored by Larry Hama in the G.I. Joe monthly. Transformers ended with issue 80. A couple years later, they brought the series back with Generation 2, but as a lead-in/teaser for the new series, the Transformers guest starred in a couple issues of G.I. Joe.

Todd McFarlane drew issue 60 of G.I. Joe. The real issue, not any sort of special. He was apparently supposed to also draw issue 61, but that was deemed unacceptable (I don't know if was by Hama or Hasbro or someone else entirely - this was before Spider-Man obviously, it was right about when he started on the Hulk). Later that was released as G.I. Joe Special after Todd was part of Image and Marvel realized they had some unplublished McFarlane art they could sell.

If you're curious, here's a McFarlane page I found online from issue 60

And finally.... Destro's new look was before the Cobra Civil War.

That's the cover of G.I. Joe 69 and it was in the 70s that the Civil War took place. It was just before it. 69-71 was the first story involving Destro and his new look and his independence from Cobra and 72 was the start of the story that led into the Civil War. The Joes sided with Serpentor, and Destro didn't really take a side. I kinda remembered him as being out for himself and looking to take advantage of the situation. The comicbookdb describes issue 75 as such "Serpentor and Fred VII's forces continue to battle for control of Cobra Island. The Joes take a support role for Serpentor's side. Destro's forces sit and watch as the battle plays out before them. Fred VII's military inexperience leads to troubles out on the field."

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Well Kyle you have a hell of a memory for childhood stuff then because I collected this from about issue 15-16 well into the 80's. I could vaguely tell you that I remember liking it and I remember Clutch is from Asbury Park NJ and that he drove his jeep into a house to knock it off the foundation (a trick he learned as a kid). Oh, And the Dreadnaughts like Grape soda and chocolate covered donuts.

Listening to the episode all sorts of things came back to me that I would not have been about to access without prompting: Cobra Commander's kid Billy, Springfiend, Xamot/Tomax being accountants...but the more you guys went in the more I went "oh yeah!"

Well done.
  • Options
    Speaking of Billy, he's being brought into the IDW Joe universe now in the Cobra book. Looking forward to seeing what they do with him.