Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Guardians of the Galaxy (Complete Movie Thread-- Now With Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Just call me "Debbie Downer"

I do agree that Marvel / Disney knows what they're doing.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I think the obscurity of Guardians is part of the appeal.

It is a test of the strength of the Marvel brand.

Yes. it will carry the big story and set up further connections, but most importantly, it will show if a Marvel movie has box office power simply for being a Marvel movie.

If it succeeds, then dozens of "B-list" and C-list" properties become exploitable.
  • Options
    I was a fan of the original GotG team from the 1970s, etc. I've recently returned to the world of reading comics and I must say, having never even heard of any of the characters in the current version of the team, I was thoroughly impressed with it. My theory is Marvel's endgame is building to a huge "World War Thanos" type movie where the Mad Titan and company attempt to conquer earth. If they can sell it as a continuation of the storylines in the Avengers' films, well, I think it'll be a slam dunk at the box office then.

Plus, hello? They've got a pistol packin', wiseass raccoon who talks! I mean, come on! That's box office gold!
  • Options

Just call me "Debbie Downer"

You've been called worse. ;)
  • Options

I do agree that Marvel / Disney knows what they're doing.

I think Kevin Feige on his worst day is smarter than Dan DiDio, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee wrapped together on their collective best days
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2014
    WetRats said:

I think the obscurity of Guardians is part of the appeal.

It is a test of the strength of the Marvel brand.

Yes. it will carry the big story and set up further connections, but most importantly, it will show if a Marvel movie has box office power simply for being a Marvel movie.

If it succeeds, then dozens of "B-list" and C-list" properties become exploitable.

This. Besides GotG, I'm eager to see the animated Big Hero 6 movie and to see how well it does.
  • Options
    I think Ant-Man is the bigger risk for Marvel. Personally, I'm kinda "eh" about it.
  • Options

I think Ant-Man is the bigger risk for Marvel. Personally, I'm kinda "eh" about it.

Edgar Wright's Ant Man?

It's gonna be brilliant!

And hilarious.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

I agree wholeheartedly. I've never read one single GotG comic. I don't even know what they are. But I'm intrigued by everything so far. I have zero interest in Ant Man.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I've never read one single GotG comic. I don't even know what they are. But I'm intrigued by everything so far. I have zero interest in Ant Man.
    I betcha one good trailer will change that.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

That, and you have some decent draw power with Rudd and Douglas, you have Wright's fanbase and as people learn more about the character and the movie itself, the interest will be there.
  • Options
    I think it can fill a niche of the space epic that Star Wars kind of dropped the ball on and Serenity took a stab at. Rag-tag team of adventurers against an empire.
  • Options
    Guardians of the Galaxy animated series coming ...

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-what-will-one-of-marvels-phase-3-films-be-in-2016
    You may have heard rumblings of a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY animated series as well, which we can also confirm. The series is aiming for a Fall 2015 debut on Disney XD, which would segue nicely into a sequel to the film the following year (especially with an established audience). Shocked by this? Don't be. Those that have seen the Comic Con footage of the film can attest to how badass the flick looks and I'm pretty sure Marvel knows it as well. You certainly wouldn't bank a sequel and an animated series on something that was less than a sure thing. I suppose there's potential for the film to bomb, but with everyone rallying behind what James Gunn and the cast/crew have done with next summer's debut, it seems like a slam dunk. Personally, I think it looks fantastic and that's just from seeing the tossed together SDCC stuff. I can only imagine what the finished product will look like and that gets me all kind of excited.
  • Options
    A GOTG animated series could be terrific or it could be horrible. I loved the Avengers animated series, but am greatly disappointed in Avengers Assemble. I also caught an episode of the new muti-colored Hulk: Agents Of SMASH, which is really, really terrible. Seems that, like Cartoon Network, Disney doesn't want any show to be aimed at anyone higher than eight yrs old, or else who would buy those toys?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, my seven year old son thinks Agents of Smash is great but I find it unwatchable. I'm with you @Chuck_Melville , I hope GotG is a show all ages will enjoy.
  • Options
    They guest starred on one of the Avenger's cartoons once, correct? A Korvac saga type scenario or something?
  • Options

They guest starred on one of the Avenger's cartoons once, correct? A Korvac saga type scenario or something?

Yeah, and Rocket Raccoon's voice was perfect. Now I hear that voice whenever I read a comic with him in it.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I was just talking with my wife about this movie. I wouldn't say I have zero interest, but it's definitely mild interest. I've never been a Marvel cosmic fan. The teaser didn't really knock my socks off...and the gun-toting raccoon doesn't really seem like my sort of entertainment.

A year ago, I might've considered a matinee showing, as this definitely not a Marvel movie my wife will have an interest. Especially since there's no one in the cast that draws her eye. I'm not certain I'll see this in the theatres. I'd need to go when my wife was working & need to get a babysitter for our daughter. I'm going to do that with the RoboCop remake & X-Men: DOFP, but I'm not sure I'd to that with this one.

I do think there will be some 'civilian' draw. Besides Marvel having wicked cred right now, Avengers had a threat from space. To some extent, both Thor movies could easily be seen as a space type movie. There were realms that could just as easily be seen as alien planets.

Side note: I'm looking forward to Ant-man more now that the casting is filling. It'll be cool to see the eventual outtakes of some Marvel movie of RDJ & Rudd improv jousting scenes.

M
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    WetRats said:

Planeis said:

Meh. Not really. I mean, I have a lot of trust in the Marvel guys and I've liked all the movies so far (except maybe the hulk movie). But I didn't see the original Thor in theaters, and had no interest in it until I saw it on a plane.

Much still has to be revealed obviously, but I have not just a lack of interest in Ant Man, but dis-interest. I was 100% invested in Avengers and IM3. For Ant Man, I'm at like -10%
  • Options
    Trailer believed to be coming next week ...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=94344#LFzAWEU2B2AAAly2.99
    Considering both Marvel/Disney and director James Gunn felt a thirty-second preview during this month's Super Bowl wouldn't do justice to the very first visuals from Guardians of the Galaxy, it was assumed that the first trailer would at least arrive next month, closer to the international release of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. However, today the Alberta Film Ratings has revealed the teaser trailer is coming sooner than we thought. Coming in at 2 minutes and 23 seconds, the teaser trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy should debut next week, if not sooner. Therefore, expect some promotional efforts very soon, maybe during the Sochi Winter Olympics.
  • Options
    Trailer confirmed to be coming next Tuesday, 2/18/14:

http://www.superheromoviesnews.com/2014/02/guardians-of-galaxy-teaser-trailer.html
    Today Yahoo! Trailers "Singapore" announced that the very first trailer for Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy will debut Tuesday February 18th, 2014! This comes a few days after the trailer was classified in the Alberta Trailer Classification. Mark your calenders Racoons fans! It runs at 2:32 seconds long...

Look out for #Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy this 31 July. Teaser trailer out on 18 Feb. #VinDiesel #ZoeSaldana pic.twitter.com/SbVyR1q9z8
    — Yahoo Singapore (@YahooSG) February 13, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy hits August 2014 in the US
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited February 2014
    I didn't look very closely to see if this had already been posted so if it has, so what? This is so freaking cool!!!

• Options
    fredzilla said:

I didn't look very closely to see if this had already been posted so if it has, so what? This is so freaking cool!!!

Blam! Murdered you!

• Options
  • Options
    And that is just some animation tests,..August can't get here soon enough.
  • Options
    The value of my Hulk 271 just keeps going up.
  • Options

One just went for $600 on eBay. ;-)

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited February 2014

One just went for $600 on eBay. ;-)

Okay those are the slabbed copies. The top auctions have been $160-180 which is still amazing. I got mine last year for $3.
  • Options
    It's been a while since I've been this excited to see a trailer.