Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel NOW! Marvel Relaunches their universe

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    From everything we've seen so far, it seems like more of a re-shuffle than a relaunch. But I'm game.

(Also, as a longtime EW subscriber, I'm glad for their Comic-Con issue to actually have some COMICS coverage for a change. Looking forward to getting that issue in the mail this week.)
  • Options
    The Uncanny Lemmings. (j/k)

If it's not a new continuity, I'm not really interested. Getting in on the ground floor at DC with a more or less clean slate is what got me buying again.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    The uncanny lemmings is one I'd buy.
    Image will be laughing their heads off right now.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'd be interested in checking out john cassaday on a regular title again. That dude can draw any title he wants and i'd pick it up. So, apparently he is drawing Uncanny Avengers?
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    From everything we've seen so far, it seems like more of a re-shuffle than a relaunch. But I'm game.

(Also, as a longtime EW subscriber, I'm glad for their Comic-Con issue to actually have some COMICS coverage for a change. Looking forward to getting that issue in the mail this week.)
    me too. will pack it in my bag before I head out to sunny San Diego next week. :)

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    It appears to be a legitimate relaunch--lots of #1s, no resetting of continuity, as opposed to DC's half-relaunch/half-reboot.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    The Uncanny Lemmings. (j/k)

If it's not a new continuity, I'm not really interested. Getting in on the ground floor at DC with a more or less clean slate is what got me buying again.
    Except that you didn't get in on the ground floor at DC. At least not with Batman or Green Lantern.

But at the same time, while there was no ground floor for Batman or Green Lantern, both books made good jumping on points. I know some people didn't think so regarding GL, but I wasn't reading the book and read issue number 1 and it made perfect sense to me. If Marvel does something like that - where it's not a new continuity, but it's still accessible to new readers and a good point to jump on and start with Marvel, I'm all for it.

But the big question - will the geeks be reviewing all the new number ones? They did for DC and said they would if Marvel did the same. And one a week shouldn't be that hard for them to keep up on. ;)
  • Options
    It appears to be a legitimate relaunch--lots of #1s, no resetting of continuity, as opposed to DC's half-relaunch/half-reboot.
    Although it may also be that it is not entirely a relaunch, as I don't think we've heard that things like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, or many other books are getting #1s. So far it seems like a creative reshuffle (and associated #1s) for most of the X and Avengers family books, and that's it. But, we'll see.
  • Options
    Although it may also be that it is not entirely a relaunch, as I don't think we've heard that things like Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil, Punisher, Uncanny X-Force, or many other books are getting #1s. So far it seems like a creative reshuffle (and associated #1s) for most of the X and Avengers family books, and that's it. But, we'll see.
    Just think if DC renumbered every time there was a "creative reshuffle"...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Something familiar about this...

Oh yeah!

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I don't think the street level books like DD and ASM would be restarted. Fanstatsic Four, I'm not sure of. Fraction is taking that over and it's already gone through a few renumberings recently, that again doesn't mean anything.

I would like to see Marvel clean up the sheer number of books we have between the Avengers and X-Men families. I can see this as a means to trim some of the excess titles.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I feel hypocritical since I'm more Marvel than DC and when the DC relaunch was coming I didn't mind so much but now that it's Marvel I'm worried.

Mostly for Avengers Academy, I'm worried that's gonna get messed up or lost to the winds, like Veil would be one day if they were able to continue this title.

Just leave my ultimate line alone please?
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    So these are new ADDITIONAL books to what's already out there? There's going to be Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Assemble, and now ALSO Uncanny Avengers, and Avengers (2 "Avengers"??? or is that the only one that isn't a new one?). (Plus Dark Avengers and Avengers Academy)?

Geez. Marvel's making it hard to be a Marvel fan!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Just think if DC renumbered every time there was a "creative reshuffle"...
    I hear you. And, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they need to be doing #1s (though I don't really care about the numbering either way). I just think it is interesting that Marvel itself seems to be trying to tout this as a big relaunch when (judging from what little we know so far) it seems like a shake-up of the big books, and a creative reshuffle, but is not even line-wide. (Or, at least, I hope that is what it is)
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I hope Marvel NOW! is at least half as good.

This post would make more sense if it were directly below my previous post. Oh well.
  • Options
    im picking up what the Daredevil team is putting down right now so I'd hate to see that title in particular start over. don't care much about bendis on X-men but could dig Hickman on avangers. there is a lot to play with here. I was itially a bit put off by this but there might be some good stuff come out of this, just like some good stuff (and some bad) came out of DC's recent publishing adventure.
  • Options
    So these are new ADDITIONAL books to what's already out there? There's going to be Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Assemble, and now ALSO Uncanny Avengers, and Avengers (2 "Avengers"??? or is that the only one that isn't a new one?). (Plus Dark Avengers and Avengers Academy)?

Geez. Marvel's making it hard to be a Marvel fan!

e
    L nny
    We'll see, but I am guessing that some of these are replacements. I would guess at least New Avengers will be ending once Bendis leaves.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I hope Marvel NOW! is at least half as good.
    Shame they stole that title from Deemer. He should get get a cut. :)

I want my Marvel Comics Now!
  • Options
    UrbalcloudUrbalcloud Posts: 42
    Marvel is in a tough spot because a few key titles were relaunched (or just launched) so recently. It'd be silly to Give Uncanny X-Men a new number 1 so soon. Same with Daredevil or Avenging Spider-man or Wolverine & the X-Men. So, I bet those won't be involved.

It's a lot like how DC had few weird numbering issues when the NEW52 began. They had just launched a Barry Allen Flash series a handfull of months earlier, and now had to launch another. Likewise, Batwoman will soon be one of the few books with 2 #0 issues and only 1 #1 issue, because of how that schedule played out.

If Marvel tried to go line-wide on the renumbering, they'd have even more of these messy scenarios.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Batwoman will soon be one of the few books with 2 #0 issues and only 1 #1 issue, because of how that schedule played out.
    I hadn't thought of that.

That's hilarious!

"twill drive the OCD boys batty, methinks!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It all sounds good to me!
  • Options
    Batwoman will soon be one of the few books with 2 #0 issues and only 1 #1 issue, because of how that schedule played out.

That's hilarious!

CDO.

It's like OCD but in alphabetical order the way it should be.
  • Options

That's hilarious!

CDO.

It's like OCD but in alphabetical order the way it should be.
    But then it should really have a comma.

Obsessive Disorder, Complusive.

OD,C.

Of course, OCD should have a hyphen.

O-CD.

:-B
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    I scoffed when all the people with long histories with DC were upset about the New 52 relaunch. Now... Now I kinda get it.

It'd be nice if this was a way to trim the books down. Uncanny Avengers is rumored to replace Secret Avengers, and putting out X-Men and Avengers bi-monthly might replace another title, but then again... This is Marvel. Knowing them, this is just another way to flood the market for a quick buck.
  • Options
    BTW:

This ---> :-B

May well be the greatest emoticon ever.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    BTW:

This ---> :-B

May well be the greatest emoticon ever.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Just took a look at my print copy of EW.

The quote from Alonso is that this "ain't a reboot" but a "new beginning". And the article describes it as a launch/relaunch. Nothing about it, or even with the updated information in the iFanboy article, would seem to make this an actual relaunch of their universe. Still seems like a status quo and creative team shake-up, and new #1s. And nothing wrong with that, I like some of the teams and premises I'm seeing (with what little there is to see at this point), and hopefully the books that are creatively going strong on their own right now (e.g. Avengers Academy, Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, Punisher, Amazing Spider-Man) will continue to do so.

It seems they are trying to replicate some of the attention that DC got for their reboot, of course. But I don't think what they are doing compares. (Nor do I, personally, think Marvel needs to do a line-wide reboot, as they are doing soft reboots all the time.)
  • Options

The quote from Alonso is that this "ain't a reboot" but a "new beginning". And the article describes it as a launch/relaunch. Nothing about it, or even with the updated information in the iFanboy article, would seem to make this an actual relaunch of their universe. Still seems like a status quo and creative team shake-up, and new #1s. And nothing wrong with that, I like some of the teams and premises I'm seeing (with what little there is to see at this point), and hopefully the books that are creatively going strong on their own right now (e.g. Avengers Academy, Uncanny X-Force, Daredevil, Punisher, Amazing Spider-Man) will continue to do so.

It seems they are trying to replicate some of the attention that DC got for their reboot, of course. But I don't think what they are doing compares. (Nor do I, personally, think Marvel needs to do a line-wide reboot, as they are doing soft reboots all the time.)
    the phrases "new beginning", "Reboot", "Relaunch", and even "Launch" seem somewhat ill- defined and nebulous to me. i like some of the pitches im seeing but im still a little fuzzy on the specifics. Tha t may be deliberate.
  • Options

the phrases "new beginning", "Reboot", "Relaunch", and even "Launch" seem somewhat ill- defined and nebulous to me. i like some of the pitches im seeing but im still a little fuzzy on the specifics. Tha t may be deliberate.
    I'm sure they know their audience well enough that a little vagueness and meeting out details between now and Oct-Dec helps keep the buzz and speculation going.

(And that is another thing that, I think, underscores that whatever Marvel NOW! is, it is not line-wide, as the first three books announced in EW start across three different months, Oct-Dec)

As with the New 52, I am sure we will know a lot more by the time the books are actually available to be pre-ordered.