Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DREDD movie reviews

13»

Comments

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Just picked up the collected The Ballad of Halo Jones by Alan Moore and Ian Gibson and so far :x
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Torchsong said:

So it's not a question of telling the guys what they ought to cover. They're not my bitches...but to ignore 2000AD shows a sort-sightedness if the goal is to cover a wide spectrum of comics.

Agreed, but is this a stated goal by the Geeks or CGS at all? If not, then why hold them to it? It's hard to expect a group of guys to talk about something they're not familiar with. Sure they covered Bede (is that how it's spelled/called? IDK-totally foreign to me) and manga, but how many of them have that stuff in their background so well that they can comment about it on a regular basis? That's also what the forum is for. If they end up talking about how they love the art of Steve Dillon, a simple, "Hey! I love 2000 AD and Dillon began his career there. If you want to see the development of him as an artist you should check out issues..." and then leave it at that. Follow up in a couple of weeks/months, but don't expect them to drop everything and seek it out. And don't get upset if they don't gush about it. I loved Sgt. Peppers, but HELP! was a little too pedestrian for me. Yet I can't appreciate what I want unless I appreciate all that has come before? I can like The Avengers movie without having seen Buffy.

(While I may enjoy Sgt. Peppers more than HELP!, I do enjoy all of the Beatles catalog, btw, and just used the above as an example :D ).
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2013
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

Res evil has had four movies to build loyalty and a guaranteed BO, much like trek. Dredd is fighting the bad taste stallone's version left.
    As I have said in many other posts, September is the worst month of the year for movies. $10mil is normal. Not great/not a flop. If it has legs it can meet what it needs to get a sequel.
    It should stay steady for a couple weeks. With strong word of mouth the BO will go up for the second weekend meaning it should drop 20-30% rather than 50%+.

I knew you'd go see it, Mike...come hell or high...you're the geek that appreciates 2000ad/Judge Dredd and it's huge influence on the US market. And Kudos to Jamie D for seeing it too. I think it will do okay and will do amazing sales on Dvd/Blu Ray. Even if it doesn't warrant a sequel, we got a kick-ass Dredd movie. Dredd at his purest.

Just can't bring myself to forgive the CGS crew for not doing some sort of spotlight. Dredd is NOT a minor comic book character. Excuses can, and will be given. The enthusiasm with CGS is gone.

Now lets talk about the top 5 costumes...or top 5 food superheroes eat...or top 5 brand name socks they buy.

Goodby CGS. It was fun while it lasted.
    Yikes, just saw this post by @Flintlockjaw. That's a bit harsh. Were you looking for a spotlight on the movie (which I thought was amazing & watched 2 times the first week it was out on Blu-ray) or something more like the spotlight episode series? I'm not sure if any of the guys have read anything of Dredd.

I read the first Case Files and truthfully, I thought it was dreadful. It took me a long time to get through it. After seeing the movie, I expected a little...more from the comics.

M
    To be fair, it rings pretty true. Pretty sure that every Christmas episode that the geeks receive 2000AD related trades as part of the Caliban care package. I can't recall a follow-up review comments on any of them. Maybe that's part of the stay positive vibe of the show.

Granted, there was a listener feedback episode for Dredd, but as far as doing any of the same sort of coverage as has been offered to the Big 2 plus Star Wars/Star Trek, Doctor Who, Hellboy and a host of other properties - it just hasn't been there for Dredd and that's something that Flint had brought up in numerous voicemails.

fredzilla said:

My initial thought, What a strange hill to make your stand on. I mean, I understand the frustration with the Geeks not covering the film in some way (although I do remember there being brief talk about it and how most of them--if not all of those that saw it--enjoyed the film), but I think @Flintlockjaw's anger is misplaced. Does he really think that a positive Geek review would save the franchise? I'm still waiting for the Geeks review of The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Red 2, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Adventures of Tintin...

C'mon. These guys aren't being paid to go see these movies and they're not paid to put out their FREE podcast. I would argue that Judge Dredd is not a mainstream comic book character. Is he huge over in England? Sure. Probably. I'm not really sure because I've never been there. Over in America though, any mention of Judge Dredd is probably linked to a vague memory of Stallone saying in broken English, "I am da law!" from an obscure movie that people think may be Demolition Man, but aren't sure. If this is what it takes for you to enjoy the entertainment that these men put out for free, then good riddance. Our community doesn't need narrowed definitions of what is canon in order to be an official member of geek/comic/film culture. I'm so fed up with the negativity in the expectations for the podcast. IT'S FREE! Don't like what they're doing? Start your own effing podcast. In fact, I believe CGS gives you a forum to even advertise your podcast. You know what? Here's your ball. Take it and go home. We'll find another game to play...

Although its nice for people to stand up for the show, but I always feel...ackward when the "its free" defense comes out.

I cannot speak for the other guys, only for what I observe; I don't know if there's a big interest in Dredd from enough of us on the show to do a spotlight ep/series of episodes. Remember Bede & Manga? I don't believe there's interest from the current cast to talk about them. It doesn't mean we're blind to the importance, just have a lacking interest.

Jamie is probably the only one (I think) who's read enough to do a spotlight. So, it would essentially just him doing a solo episode.

Also, I have read the stuff @flintlockjaw sent us & thought I mentioned a review on the show. It hasn't gone completely to the side.

And wasn't there already a review of The Wolverine & Iron Man 3? I'm interested in seeing Red 2, but had neither the time or funds to see that movie.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Slow controversy day?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

Slow controversy day?

Up next: Has David D. stopped kicking homeless children for fun and sport?

After that: Torchsong's mother. All his mothers. :)

Now sports!

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    David_D said:

Slow controversy day?

Day? I thought that this is what we do around here? :-??
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    pssst!! Don't wake the Matt! :-S
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited December 2013

pssst!! Don't wake the Matt! :-S

Hey, I'm just trying to comprehend, not kick the hornet's nest.

M