Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Odd but perfect fantasy comic movie casting

2»

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    random73 said:

That is soooo funny! I actually found myself referencing the Gobots in a conversation with my GF too and just had to trail off...because she had no idea what I was talking about. My girl is 13 years younger than me, so mid-20's is right on. She turned 26 on June 5th in fact. I turn 39 this October. Don't judge me! My ex-wife was 7 years older than me so...apparently I just don't play well with people my own age.

Wow,my girlfriend turned 26 back in May and I turned 38 12 days ago. But every woman I have dated is either older than me or younger.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

They are all contemporaries in my mind. Of course, I think Scarlet Johanssen, fine as she is, is way too young to be playing Black Widow. I always imagined Black Widow to be well into her 40's. I never felt like, even as a kid myself, that she could have amassed the espionage skills she has in her 20's. I just don't see it.

I never thought about it that way,but yeah Scarlet does look a little young to be Black Widow. I always assumed that BW was in her mid 30s. But then being Russian maybe the film version of Black Widow has been training since she was a young kid.
    I imagined Black Widow in her 30s too. Black Widow plays a lot on the fact she's a woman and I don't think you're able to do that properly until you're in your mid-20s and she clearly has experience doing it.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited July 2012
    As far as age goes in our culture in general. I think there is this mythical golden age between 18 and 22. And our culture tries to get girls there as early as possible and keep them there as long as possible. Ignoring the fact that there are some unique perspectives in being 30 or 40 or 50 that aren't treasured. Each year is only 12 months and I think we would be better served by learning to enjoy the different nuances of each particular ago rather than spending many of those good years trying to pretend to be 20.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
    random73 said:

As far as age goes in our culture in general. I think there is this mythical golden age between 18 and 22. And our culture tries to get girls there as early as possible and keep them there as long as possible. Ignoring the fact that there are some unique perspectives in being 30 or 40 or 50 that aren't treasured. Each year is only 12 months and I think we would be better served by learning to enjoy the different nuances of each particular ago rather than spending many of those good years trying to pretend to be 20.

Well for years I had a rule. I would only date someone that was within 5 years of me. But when I met my second wife we hit it off so well I broke my own rule. And am so glad I did.
  • Options
    little_witchlittle_witch Posts: 185
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Well for years I had a rule. I would only date someone that was within 5 years of me. But when I met my second wife we hit it off so well I broke my own rule. And am so glad I did.
    I used to date people around my age, no more than 3 years older. However I married a guy who's 6 years older than me, I'm so happy I did. I have learnt that age means nothing if you are with the right person

• Options
    BBVLouBBVLou Posts: 13
    Justice League International: The Movie/Series

Maxwell Lord - Sam Neill
    Blue Beetle - Adam Scott
    Booster Gold - Joel McHale
    Guy Gardner - Denis Leary
    Fire - Sofia Vergara
    Ice - Malin Akerman
    Flash - Neil Patrick Harris
    Power Girl - Christina Applegate
    Elongated Man - Bill Hader
    Sue Dibny - Lizzy Caplan
    Captain Marvel - Patrick Warburton
    Martian Manhunter - Laurence Fishburne (voice); CGI-animated

Trust me on this.
  • Options
    I really like Sam Neil as max lord that is inspired!
  • Options
    I'm struggling with Christina Applegate as powergirl though, just not seeing that one.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Patrick Warburton as Captain Marvel....please, holy hell yes. I don't think I've ever seen him in anything but comedies but that works for me. Aside from Applegate as Powergirl, I'd support that cast.
  • Options
    I like that it's almost entirely a cast of sitcom actors and comedians, with the exceptions of Sam Neill and Larry Fishburne. You have a lot of character archetypes on the team that I tried to link up with the actors and the parts they are best known for:

Beetle -- smart, sarcastic everyman
    Booster -- shallow, self-aggrandizing pretty-boy jock who learns how to have friends and do the right thing (pretty much the exact character Joel McHale plays on Community)
    Guy -- hotheaded jerk you can count on when you don't have a choice
    Fire -- fiery Latina sexpot who is much smarter than she looks and acts
    Ice -- sweet, shy Scandinavian ice goddess (and Akerman is funny in small doses on Childrens Hospital)
    Flash -- likeable, all-American hero
    Power Girl -- smart and tough, but people don't immediately realize that upon checking her out
    Elongated Man -- clever, goofy, not as entertaining as he thinks he is
    Sue -- classy, cool, keeps Ralph grounded, the perfect Nora Charles to his Nick
    Captain Marvel -- a little corny and old-fashioned, like the product of a bygone era (the role Warburton was meant for)

I can't think of an actress for Power Girl who simultaneously has the cute face, feminine-yet-muscular build, and fanboy-pleasing "bustiness," who still radiates intelligence and competence. Plenty of adult film actresses could fill out the costume for an XXX parody, but Christina Applegate is a hot blonde who can do comedy (especially when surrounded by male goofballs), communicate a tough, can-do attitude, and look good in the white suit. Actors undergo intensive training regimens to get buff for action roles all the time, and I'm sure she could do that too.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited August 2012
    When Avengers was being cast I was really hoping we would get Nathan Fillion as Hank Pym, Morena Baccarin as Janet Van Dyne.

Someone posted Tom Waits as the voice of Rocket Raccoon. I can get behind that!
  • Options
    Steven Lang would make a kickass Deathstroke.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Greg said:

Billy Zane does evil so well, I can't picture him being anything other than a villian.

What if we were to sweeten the deal by throwing in a white horse?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Jack "Starman" Knight - Justin Theroux
    The Shade - Jude Law
  • Options
    I wish I could not like Jude Law but i can't Gattaca and Repo Men are among some of the best sci fi out there.
  • Options
    Haven't seen Repo Men, but he's great in Gattaca, Sherlock Holmes, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (which isn't a great movie, but comic fans would love it anyway).
  • Options
    Sherlock Holmes would have been a good flick if it had been called The Adventures of a Clever Guy Who Completely Fails to be Sherlock Holmes. And the sequel could have been The Casebook of the Clever Guy Who Completely Fails To be Sherlock Holmes.