Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Growing up in the 80's

random73random73 Posts: 2,318
Manimal

Voyagers

Tale of the Gold Monkey

Pheonix

Automan

Cliffhangers

Tell me you old guys don't remember this stuff!

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    LOVED Voyagers and Automan. Didnt care for Manimal. Only ever heard of the Gold Monkey and dont remember Cliffhangers or Phoenix off the top og my head. What about the Misfits of Science, Knight Rider, Greatest American Hero? (obvious I know but all thats coming to mind)
  • Options
    I lived Misfits of Science! I would set a cassette recorder in front of the TV speaker and record audio tapes to listen to!

How about the Werewolf show on Fox with Chuck Conners as the villan. And the bleeding pentagram on the Hero's palm?
  • Options
    Oh an Greatest American Hero? Forget about it! I had. That Mike Post theme song on a 45.
  • Options
    Apparently the guy from Manimal made a guest appearance on Nightman as the Manimal and passed the shape shifting power to his daughter who would be....wo-man-imal?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Tales of the Golden Monkey and Voyagers I watched, Manimal, Phoenix, Automan and Cliffhangers not so much.

TJ Hooker, Knight Rider, Greatest American Hero, A-Team, Werewolf, V, Hunter, Cheers....good stuff. You got the last season or two of shows like BJ and the Bear, Buck Rogers and Incredible Hulk. I wanted to paint my Optimus Prime to look like the BJ McKay Kentworth.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I was a devoted fan of Voyagers. I used to carry around a little round E.T. toy and declare it was my "omni."

Manimal holds a special place in my development as a viewer of TV - it was the first show that I remember legitimately realizing, "hey, they keep using that same footage over and over and over again." It was also the first show where I thought the concept was AWESOME... but the execution was lacking.

Misfits of Science was completely awesome.

Knight Rider was a favorite as a kid, but, upon viewing the episodes in college, it *really* doesn't hold up well.

Greatest American Hero... loved that show. "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free..." I've been waiting for YEARS for someone to realize the gold of that show and do an updated version or a film.

Anyone remember The New Adventures of Beans Baxter? From the early days of Fox? Or how about Werewolf, which was a complete ripoff of The Incredible Hulk?

Or, one of my favorites as a kid, Hard Time on Planet Earth?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    random73 said:

How about the Werewolf show on Fox with Chuck Conners as the villan. And the bleeding pentagram on the Hero's palm?

something very familiar about that to me.

Greatest American Hero was ahead of its time and long overdue for a comeback.

Virtually none of these old shows hold up well. I cant think of much I could sit though a full episode of now.

I remember many of the early FOX shoes. They went through em like water in the begining.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Cliffhangers was the 70's, IIRC...
  • Options
    Cliffhangers was the 70's that's true and I remember very little about it. I was maybe 6-7 years old. There was a cowboy with futuristic laser guns and Dracula teaching night school that's all I remember but it scared the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Pheonix had that blond elvish looking dude that played Kahn's son in Star Trek II. He had a sun powered amulet that gave him telekinetic powers and he was on the run from the government looking for...something I don't know.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Automan was Glen A. Larsen's answer to Tron. Starring Desi Arnaz Jr. No CG effects at all in a tv show about a CG character. And his little buddy Cursor that could make anything out if light.
  • Options
    I guess my point is...no most of these don't hold up very well but growing up a geek sci-fi was a little more difficult to come by on TV than it is today. And a lot if these shows have pretty interesting concepts but nowhere near the budget to execute them. And don't get me started on that terrible ass Daredevil and Thor from the Return of the Incredible Hulk made for TV movies.
  • Options
    Oh yeah @EarthGBilly wasn't it Doing Time of Planet Earth with terrible Martin Kove?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

Manimal

Voyagers

Tale of the Gold Monkey

Pheonix

Automan

Cliffhangers

Tell me you old guys don't remember this stuff!

Remember all of them besides Cliffhangers. Just looked it up and it started airing in February of 1979. And ended in May of 1979. Sounds like a fun show. Might have to see if anyone out there has copies of it.

• Options
    batlaw said:

LOVED Voyagers and Automan. Didnt care for Manimal. Only ever heard of the Gold Monkey and dont remember Cliffhangers or Phoenix off the top og my head. What about the Misfits of Science, Knight Rider, Greatest American Hero? (obvious I know but all thats coming to mind)

Loved Misfits of Science,Knight Rider and Greatest American Hero. Was so happy when earlier this year I found the first season of GAH for $5.

• Options
    random73 said:

I lived Misfits of Science! I would set a cassette recorder in front of the TV speaker and record audio tapes to listen to!

Another great show that sadly only lasted on season. Somewhere on dvdr I have the pilot episode. And it holds up pretty well.

• Options
    random73 said:

Oh an Greatest American Hero? Forget about it! I had. That Mike Post theme song on a 45.

Haha so did I. I might even still have it stored somewhere.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yes, Yes Cliffhangers aired in 1979. M still counting it because...I want to. No nah!
  • Options

I was a devoted fan of Voyagers. I used to carry around a little round E.T. toy and declare it was my "omni."

Manimal holds a special place in my development as a viewer of TV - it was the first show that I remember legitimately realizing, "hey, they keep using that same footage over and over and over again." It was also the first show where I thought the concept was AWESOME... but the execution was lacking.

Misfits of Science was completely awesome.

Knight Rider was a favorite as a kid, but, upon viewing the episodes in college, it *really* doesn't hold up well.

Greatest American Hero... loved that show. "Believe it or not, I'm walking on air, I never thought I could feel so free..." I've been waiting for YEARS for someone to realize the gold of that show and do an updated version or a film.

Anyone remember The New Adventures of Beans Baxter? From the early days of Fox? Or how about Werewolf, which was a complete ripoff of The Incredible Hulk?

Or, one of my favorites as a kid, Hard Time on Planet Earth?

Ahh Beans Baxter another great short lived Fox show.

• Options
    random73 said:

I guess my point is...no most of these don't hold up very well but growing up a geek sci-fi was a little more difficult to come by on TV than it is today. And a lot if these shows have pretty interesting concepts but nowhere near the budget to execute them. And don't get me started on that terrible ass Daredevil and Thor from the Return of the Incredible Hulk made for TV movies.

My last trip to the coast I showed my cousin's two sons "The Return of the Incredible Hulk" and "The trial of the Incredible Hulk". The 10 year old thought they kind of sucked. But the 5 year old loved them and asked me if I had more Hulk movies.
  • Options
    I do have every episode of Werewolf, acquired through dubious means, but it is a pretty rough copy. And honestly I couldn't sit through the whole pilot episode. Not bad so much as dated, the conventions of storytelling are much different now.
  • Options
    I did recently rewatch (well, relatively recently 5-6 years ago) the Incredible Hulk pilot episode and found it quite good.

The first tv movie of the 6 million dollar man also is very good. There is no cheese factor to it at all, no goofy nanananana sound effects, yet and quite a serious dramatic story. After his bionics are added Steve is depressed and begs the nurse to kill him, very poignant.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Let's not forget "V" - one of the best sci-fi series ever! :)

• Options
    Torchsong said:

I was so disappointed in the remake from a few years ago. Falling Skies is a better V remake than the actual remake was.
  • Options
    random73 said:

I did recently rewatch (well, relatively recently 5-6 years ago) the Incredible Hulk pilot episode and found it quite good.

The first tv movie of the 6 million dollar man also is very good. There is no cheese factor to it at all, no goofy nanananana sound effects, yet and quite a serious dramatic story. After his bionics are added Steve is depressed and begs the nurse to kill him, very poignant.

I loved it when back in the early to mid 2000s Sci FI channel would do all day marathons of The Incredible Hulk tv show. The actual TV show holds up pretty well. But the three tv movies made after the show ended don't. The "Death of the Incredible Hulk" film was so disappointing. I remember before it aired the rumor was She-Hulk was gonna be in it. Then how the Hulk died was so damn stupid.
  • Options
    i think you can locate pictures on Brigette Nielson in some She-Hulk test makeup.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Torchsong said:

I was so disappointed in the remake from a few years ago. Falling Skies is a better V remake than the actual remake was.
    Falling Skys is absolutely what the V remake should have been! This is one time where i am disappointed i can only give a post one Agree!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    i think you can locate pictures on Brigette Nielson in some She-Hulk test makeup.
    http://shulkie.com/node/26
  • Options
    Six. Million. Dollar. Man.

(and if you say "That was the 70's", I'ma come atchu.)