Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Growing up in the 80's

2»

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

random73 said:

I did recently rewatch (well, relatively recently 5-6 years ago) the Incredible Hulk pilot episode and found it quite good.

The first tv movie of the 6 million dollar man also is very good. There is no cheese factor to it at all, no goofy nanananana sound effects, yet and quite a serious dramatic story. After his bionics are added Steve is depressed and begs the nurse to kill him, very poignant.

I loved it when back in the early to mid 2000s Sci FI channel would do all day marathons of The Incredible Hulk tv show. The actual TV show holds up pretty well. But the three tv movies made after the show ended don't. The "Death of the Incredible Hulk" film was so disappointing. I remember before it aired the rumor was She-Hulk was gonna be in it. Then how the Hulk died was so damn stupid.
    This is the funniest thing on the entirety of the internet... a list (from the producer's MEMORY) of every event that caused Banner to Hulk-out.

kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

My personal favorite?:

"19. Being pushed down a mountainside by a bigfoot impersonator"
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The Hulk out list is awesome. Somebody needs to share that with Marty.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    random73 said:

i think you can locate pictures on Brigette Nielson in some She-Hulk test makeup.

Yeah I have seen them and a poster.

• Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    With The Incredible Hulk, I'm often shocked at how well the show really does hold up. I think I give most of the credit for that to Bill Bixby, an entirely amazing actor that never treated the show like it was as ridiculous as it really was.
    random73 said:

How about the Werewolf show on Fox with Chuck Conners as the villan. And the bleeding pentagram on the Hero's palm?

I just realized I mentioned this show after you did. Somehow I missed it. Anyway, I loved how Chuck Conners ate up the scenery in the show, but, like I said before, it really was a rip-off of The Incredible Hulk, specifically in that the main character's transformation wasn't based on the lunar cycle, but him getting angry. At the time, though, I was impressed with the transformation.
    random73 said:

Oh yeah @EarthGBilly wasn't it Doing Time of Planet Earth with terrible Martin Kove?

I think you meant "AWESOME" and accidentally typed "terrible."

The show was amazing, really. Former galactic military officer escaping a death penalty because of his previous service, sentenced to Earth, along with a floating robot to keep track of his rehabilitation? Starring that guy from Cagney & Lacey (or, as most people now say, Karate Kid)? What isn't to love about this show?

Of course, I haven't actually watched an episode in years, but I'm sure it is *just* as amazing as I remember it, because things you loved as a kid are *always* as good as you remember them, right?

Right?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Man, I loved Voyagers! as a kid. You watch it now with *any* knowledge of history and suddenly the time travel is the least ridiculous thing about the show, but it's fun. I was always bummed it only last a single season. Just think, if it had gone on, Jon-Erik Hexum might still be alive today. I always feel kinda bad that his enduring legacy is "guns loaded with blanks = still dangerous."

Misfits of Science... there was a show I always wanted to like but could never really get into, whether it was at the time or in reruns. And though I remember seeing bits of Tales of the Gold Monkey when it was re-run on USA, I never managed to catch a full episode. Never really got into Automan or Manimal.

Now you wanna talk awesome, short-lived 80s TV, for me two of the biggies were Street Hawk (Rex Smith as a cop-turned-vigilante on a hi-tech motorcycle invented by the guy who played Frank Fontana on Murphy Brown) and The Master with Lee Van Cleef (as "John Peter McAllister, the only occidental American to ever achieve the rank of ninja") and one of the many sons of Dick Van Patten.

Oh, and anyone remember Otherworld, about a family vacationing in Egypt that gets sucked through a portal to an alternate universe? That was spooky and rad.
  • Options

Man, I loved Voyagers! as a kid. You watch it now with *any* knowledge of history and suddenly the time travel is the least ridiculous thing about the show, but it's fun. I was always bummed it only last a single season. Just think, if it had gone on, Jon-Erik Hexum might still be alive today. I always feel kinda bad that his enduring legacy is "guns loaded with blanks = still dangerous."

Misfits of Science... there was a show I always wanted to like but could never really get into, whether it was at the time or in reruns. And though I remember seeing bits of Tales of the Gold Monkey when it was re-run on USA, I never managed to catch a full episode. Never really got into Automan or Manimal.

Now you wanna talk awesome, short-lived 80s TV, for me two of the biggies were Street Hawk (Rex Smith as a cop-turned-vigilante on a hi-tech motorcycle invented by the guy who played Frank Fontana on Murphy Brown) and The Master with Lee Van Cleef (as "John Peter McAllister, the only occidental American to ever achieve the rank of ninja") and one of the many sons of Dick Van Patten.

Oh, and anyone remember Otherworld, about a family vacationing in Egypt that gets sucked through a portal to an alternate universe? That was spooky and rad.

I loved Streethawk. Have a few episodes of The Master on dvd. And got almost every episode of Otherworld,from when Sci Fi channel aired them years ago.

• Options
    Streethawk was the souped-up motorcycle right? There were vehicles all over...airwolf, knight rider...,all at the same time.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I think the only show I don't recognize from this entire thread is Phoenix. I've never heard of it.

Has anyone mentioned Buck Rogers or The Powers Of Matthew Star? Those two spring to mind because they're available to stream on Netflix. I remember watching Buck Rogers every week, even recording the audio on cassette tapes, as someone else brought up earlier. I remember being so proud of having both of the episodes that guest starred Gary Coleman on audio cassette, and listening to them during a family road trip. I'm guessing those shows won't hold up that well if I watch them again.

And like others have said, Manimal was one of the first shows where I noticed how cheap the budget was. Guy kept turning into the same damn animals week after week.

And to this day, when I turn, I sometimes remember the scene in Automan, in which the car could only make an instantaneous 90 degree turn because it wasn't programmed to do otherwise.

If I'm remembering correctly, Cliffhangers wrapped up the Dracula storyline (which was the only one most people gave a damn about) then went off the air before wrapping up the sci-fi and adventure ones. I think the concept was to stagger the finales so new stories could replace the ending ones, but when the decision was made to not go on, they just let it stop at the first available ending. I remember watching that last night and wondering what was going to happen next.
  • Options
    I love Buck Rogers and Matthew Star. For a few years reruns of Buck aired every afternoon on the local UHF channel.
  • Options
    Don't forget

Monkey Magic
    M.A.S.K.
    Mysterious Cities of Gold
  • Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535

and The Master with Lee Van Cleef (as "John Peter McAllister, the only occidental American to ever achieve the rank of ninja") and one of the many sons of Dick Van Patten.

Loooooooved the Master. Lee Van Cleef had some serious moves once he donned that mask.

chris

• Options

and The Master with Lee Van Cleef (as "John Peter McAllister, the only occidental American to ever achieve the rank of ninja") and one of the many sons of Dick Van Patten.

Loooooooved the Master. Lee Van Cleef had some serious moves once he donned that mask.

chris

Look for the "Fists of vengeance" dvd set from Mill Creek. It has 2 "movies" that are a couple of episodes of The Master put together. I found the set a few years back for $5.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    dubbat138 said:

chris

Look for the "Fists of vengeance" dvd set from Mill Creek. It has 2 "movies" that are a couple of episodes of The Master put together. I found the set a few years back for $5.
    Better yet, get the MST3K set with both The Master “movies.” Much more enjoyable viewing experience, plus you get them singing “Master Ninja Theme Song.”
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

chris

Better yet, get the MST3K set with both The Master “movies.” Much more enjoyable viewing experience, plus you get them singing “Master Ninja Theme Song.”
    Did not know those episodes had been released. I bet it is the same two "films" that are on the set I have.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I would be very surprised if they weren't.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Hmm... In New Zealand we'd get a mix of british and American TV shows, and we only had 2 channels until 1989. I remember;

Catweazle
    The Young Ones
    Mister Merlin
    The days and nights of Molly Dodd
    Max Headroom
  • Options
    I remember one line from the young ones.

Dear Pigs,

May the seed your loins grow fruitful in the belly of your womaaaan.

Love,

Niel

Oh and the one where Vivian is pregnant...
    "that's impossible!".
    "That's what she said."

And the house explodes at the end...

"that's my boy!".

And I watched Matt Frewer as Mmmmmax Headroom, religiously.

• Options
    The Young ones was such a great show. I loved when Vivian ate the telly. Or when they had the atomic bomb in the kitchen.
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I loved The Young Ones. I remember as a teenager, not realizing that British TV seasons are only about six episodes long, thinking that after I rented a VHS tape that had 4-5 episodes on it that I would then have to track down the dozens of other episodes that were out there. It wasn't until Comedy Central finally aired them that I learned there were only 12 total.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The Young Ones was awesome. I have the DVD set.

Vyvyyan: It's amazing, Michael, how someone can go to bed supposedly grit-free, and then when you wake up your bed's fulla bits!

• Options
    See I didn't see the Young Ones until 1998. Found the VHS for rent at a store. It was the covers that caught my eyes. Watched both seasons and then did some research to find out if there was anymore episodes.