Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2012 London Olympics Thread -- Go Team USA!

Discuss all things Olympics related here.

Go Team USA make us proud at the games.

Matthew

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2012
  • Options
    I'm going into hibernation for the next few weeks. Time for catching up on comics, books, DVDs and any root canals or other forms of painful surgery. Aren't I full of the Olympic spirit?
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited July 2012

I'm going into hibernation for the next few weeks. Time for catching up on comics, books, DVDs and any root canals or other forms of painful surgery. Aren't I full of the Olympic spirit?

I hear you. I might watch basketball, but otherwise, I don't care.

Okay, maybe women's volleyball, too.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I agree w/ DoctorDoom on the sports choices men's basketball & women's beach volleyball after that it is slim choices after that.

Matthew

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I don't follow swimming too much, is Michael Phelps over the hill now? The new guy won easily.
  • Options
    Most Olympians do one to three Olympics over their career depending on the sport. Phelps inhaled that magic weed so maybe it is slowing him down too. I hope he does well though.

Matthew
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Looks like I will be watching more DVDs than normal.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Huge swimming guy. Love to watch it. Cannot fathom why they spent so much time on cycling.

FWIW: This is Phelp's 4th. He originally wasn't planning on swimming the 400 IM and hadn't been training for it and yet still qualified. Further, he was seeded 8th for the finals, barely qualifying by .07 seconds. He then followed that up by advancing from 8th to 4th. OTOH, Lochte has had his sights set on this win since Beijing.
  • Options
    What did people think of the Opening Ceremony?

I wasn't expecting much... these types of events are usually very dull and predictable... but I found Danny Boyle's direction of it mostly bizarre, but also quite absorbing.

But I'm a Londoner, and I it seemed as though it was directed for British People Only.

Did any of you non-Brits understand, or get, any of it?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I have to admit that I didn't watch it (the opening ceremonies). I probably won't watch much prime time coverage. It feels like it's aimed at soccer mommies. Lot's of personal interest stuff. I just want to see some competition.

Btw, Beach volleyball needs to go the way of synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, & equestrian events. Shove that "sport" to some distant cable outlet. The only thing I need to know is if the USA received a medal so I can get something free from McDonald's.

do they still do that?
  • Options
    Well as long they keep women's beach volleyball on my local NBC station, USA network, CNBC or MSNBC then I am okay w/ it. Telemundo hmm NO!

Matthew
  • Options
    edited July 2012

I wasn't expecting much... these types of events are usually very dull and predictable... but I found Danny Boyle's direction of it mostly bizarre, but also quite absorbing.

But I'm a Londoner, and I it seemed as though it was directed for British People Only.

We got almost all of it (minor edits for commercials) minus the 7/7 tribute they did a Ryan Seacrest interview w/ the women's gymnastics team instead. The parade of the nations I watched about half of that waiting for USA to be shown then I turned it off.

Matthew
  • Options

I quite enjoyed the opening ceremony. I particularly appreciated the fact that it seemed to tip a hat to the many contributions to pop culture as well as more highbrow elements. I was a bit unimpressed with Sir Paul and his sing along.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    mguy1977 said:

Well as long they keep women's beach volleyball on my local NBC station, USA network, CNBC or MSNBC then I am okay w/ it. Telemundo hmm NO!

Matthew

Back in 2008 I was working doing home health care for an older man in his 80s. And he loved women's beach volleyball. I asked him why, his reply was "Cause of the bouncy parts!".
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    dubbat138 said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

Back in 2008 I was working doing home health care for an older man in his 80s. And he loved women's beach volleyball. I asked him why, his reply was "Cause of the bouncy parts!".
    Well Duh! Have SOME eyecandy in the Olympics. Women have shirtless men in this sport or that sport so this evens the scales a little bit in the guys favor plus it isn't hard to follow win 2 sets w/ a score of 21 each.

Matthew
  • Options
    Amazing performance in the gymnastics today, only a slight downer that the silver was downgraded to bronze on appeal. Looking at it again it does seem the judges did the right thing though.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I quite enjoyed the opening ceremony. I particularly appreciated the fact that it seemed to tip a hat to the many contributions to pop culture as well as more highbrow elements. I was a bit unimpressed with Sir Paul and his sing along.

Indeed! The pop culture references I didn't expect... but were highly enjoyable, and very appropriate.

And you're right about Paul McCartney... his voice ain't as good as it used to be... but then he's a few years past 64 these days. But it was inevitable he'd play at some point in the ceremony.

I heard that the NBC commentary was terrible!
  • Options

hauberk said:

Indeed! The pop culture references I didn't expect... but were highly enjoyable, and very appropriate.

And you're right about Paul McCartney... his voice ain't as good as it useNo doubtd to be... but then he's a few years past 64 these days. But it was inevitable he'd play at some point in the ceremony.

I heard that the NBC commentary was terrible!
    No doubt about Sir Paul. NBC commentary has always been hit or miss. The addition of Ryan Seacrest to their pool of commentators really took the wind out of it. Well, Bob Costas is still involved so there's really still plenty of wind, but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    making a quick drop in, work's been busy, but I was going to say forget team usa go Team UGA. Our girl(s) Schimdt (and Amanda Wier) are showing out. Go Dawgs!
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

making a quick drop in, work's been busy, but I was going to say forget team usa go Team UGA. Our girl(s) Schimdt (and Amanda Wier) are showing out. Go Dawgs!

UGA = Uganda?

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    That's why I haven't seen mwhitt in a while...he's been in Uganda this whole time...and now he's apparently emigrated. :)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Two things I didn't catch but are cool about the opening ceremony:

- At some point during one of the segments you can hear the unmistakeable sound of the Tardis materializing in (or out).

- During one of the "flyby" segments - where they flew over different parts of London and the surrounding areas, they flew by the Battersea Power Plant...and the pig was there.*

* Animals is my favorite Pink Floyd album.
  • Options
    Well the American gold medal winner of the women's sabre, Mariel Zagunis of the last two Olympics came up way short today not only losing in the gold but also the bronze match back to back was a loud thud in falling short. The winner of the event was Kim Jiyeon of South Korea. The women's beach (no bikini) volleyball May/ Walsh match lost the first set but won the second & the 3rd sets. I

Matthew
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Michael Phelps finishes his career with 22 medals 18 gold 2 silver 2 bronze, just incredible
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    DAR said:

Michael Phelps finishes his career with 22 medals 18 gold 2 silver 2 bronze, just incredible

He told you he wouldn't stop, wouldn't stop.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm glad for Phelps & his swimming accomplishments over the last few Olympics as the greatest Olympic athlete ever in terms of number of medals. Great job!

Matthew
  • Options
    May/Walsh advance in the women's beach volleyball. Bikini power w/ mad skills!

Matthew
  • Options
    And with todays Phelps retrospective, my Olympics watching for 2012, with exception of the closing ceremony, is complete. Here's hoping that they do a clean sweep on the reporters and commentary. Costas is tolerable, but the poolside and desk reporting on swimming, diving and gymnastics made me want to punch someone in the face and Seacrest made me want to punch myself in the face just to relieve the misery.
  • Options
    I never understood the appeal of Ryan Seacrest. Even w/ interviews w/ him I flip the channel on the Olympics after seeing the one on Opening Night I thought I don't need to witness that again. I missed the Phelps retrospective last night. Just watched the women's beach volleyball game & that is it.

Matthew