Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Silver and Bronze Age Thread

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I'm currently re-reading my run of Master of Kung Fu, and it's a damn shame that Marvel can't reprint it due to their use of the "Fu Manchu" characters.
    Hilarious... I had this EXACT conversation with the dudes at my LCS yesterday afternoon. I would Love a Master of Kung Fu Essential book.

And while were at it why, oh WHY can't Marvel do an Essential Nick Fury?!? I can't be the only one who sees that missed opportunity!

I really love the Essential books (I read them with my 6 year old daughter). We are both looking forward to the upcoming Black Panther.
    My 8 year old son loves the various Essentials. Last time he came to visit me he read "Essential man-thing volume 1" in 3 days. It seems he prefers b/w artwork to color. He is also been reading the Showcase Presents Metamorpho and Unknown Soldier trades. This year for his birthday he sent me a huge list of Essentials and Showcase Presents he wanted. Ended up gettign pretty much everything on his list for him. I really enjoy the he likes to read and he seems to be getting into comics.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I desperately wish someone would collect the Hot Wheels series Alex Toth drew for DC in the late 60s. It's very short-lived, and a toy & cartoon tie-in at that, but the Toth stories in those issues are just a master class in cartooning. And, of course, they're super hard to find, and often expensive when you do. I've managed to find a couple of really beat-up ones on the cheap, but I'd love to see these in a nice collection with decent printing (though, preferably, a color process that retains the look of how the older paper holds the color... that's a huge part of the appeal).
  • Options
    I desperately wish someone would collect the Hot Wheels series Alex Toth drew for DC in the late 60s. It's very short-lived, and a toy & cartoon tie-in at that, but the Toth stories in those issues are just a master class in cartooning. And, of course, they're super hard to find, and often expensive when you do. I've managed to find a couple of really beat-up ones on the cheap, but I'd love to see these in a nice collection with decent printing (though, preferably, a color process that retains the look of how the older paper holds the color... that's a huge part of the appeal).

I have always wanted to read that series,just cause of the Toth artwork. But I have only ever seen 2 issues. And then they were priced way over what I am willing to pay. Kind of surprised with how big Hot Wheels is in collector's circles that there hasn't been a trade or hardcover reprinting the entire series.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Thanks for bringing this one up. Looked at the covers and it looks like great fun. Now on my want list.

• Options

I have always wanted to read that series,just cause of the Toth artwork. But I have only ever seen 2 issues. And then they were priced way over what I am willing to pay. Kind of surprised with how big Hot Wheels is in collector's circles that there hasn't been a trade or hardcover reprinting the entire series.
    Probably a licensing issue, like a lot of the others. I wonder what the first comic/toy tie-in that can't be reprinted due to license is . . .

How about Artist Edition: Alex Toth Hot Wheels :)

Seriously though, if they did a Toth Artist Edition, what would you like it to be. Did he ever do a Johnny Quest series?

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2012

Seriously though, if they did a Toth Artist Edition, what would you like it to be. Did he ever do a Johnny Quest series?
    No, he didn't work on the Comico Jonny Quest series to my knowledge, but then again, I don't think he had anything to do with the cartoon, either. Jonny was created by another cartoonist in the square-jawed action hero mold, Doug Wildey, who did do a cover or two for that book, I think. He was also Dave Stevens's inspiration for Peavey in The Rocketeer, IIRC.

• Options
    @libraryboy - according to Wikipedia he did the character designs for jq. That's why I thought he might have done a comic during the same period. Maybe some dell 4 color? Thought for sure there was a comic of jq in the 60's.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

My 8 year old son loves the various Essentials. Last time he came to visit me he read "Essential man-thing volume 1" in 3 days. It seems he prefers b/w artwork to color. He is also been reading the Showcase Presents Metamorpho and Unknown Soldier trades. This year for his birthday he sent me a huge list of Essentials and Showcase Presents he wanted. Ended up gettign pretty much everything on his list for him. I really enjoy the he likes to read and he seems to be getting into comics.
    Essential Man-Thing! Perfect for 8 year olds. It was Man-Thing that drew me into the Marvel universe when I was 8 years old!

I love that my daughter is really getting into the Marvel Essentials. Her insights into the old issues astound me (although she is sometimes confused by Stan Lee's "hip" college dialogue for Peter and MJ). She has started to walk around the house emulating JJJ by shaking her fist and yelling "Paaaaaarkkkkeeeerrrr"!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    @Miraclemet, that is spectacular!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    @WetRats I'm about 1/2 way to completing the collection...
  • Options
    @Miraclemet, Have you looked at Classics Illustrated? I seem to remember a few covers like these.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Miraclemet : your "The Lady in White" project is just awesome (yes...even internationally spoken... ;) )
  • Options
    @Miraclemet, is House Of Secrets 92 on your list?
  • Options
    @WetRats I just browsed thru some of the Classics Illustrated and didnt see any, but I'll keep looking thru them! :-bd

@John_Steed thanks for the awesoming!

@Chrisgrendel if HOS 92 was on my list it would cost about as much as I've spent on all the other books combined! Its of the right era (70s) and in a horror title (HOS), AND by one of the artists who does a few Gothic Horror covers (Bernie Wrightson). But I excluded this one for now because a) she's not in white b) the woman is not on the run (or at least in distress) and c) there's no architectural feature in it (usually a staircase, a mansion, a house, etc). The last two conditions are common motifs of the "Gothic horror" genre It's on the loooong term list, but for the short term I have other targets...

Here are some of the remaining ones...House of Secrets 88, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 106, Unexpected 127 & 178, Secrets of Sinister House #5, Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #5, Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #4

Almost all of the titles are DC, but there's one sweet Marvel: Night Nurse #4
    ...hard to find, especially in high grade. And there were only 4 issues in the title run...
  • Options
    @Miraclemet:

This is the one I was thinking of, but turns out she's not in white (stupid old memory)

This one's kinda nice, though...

• Options
    @WetRats that Wuthering Heights has a nice feel to it! :-?
  • Options
    @WetRats that Wuthering Heights has a nice feel to it! :-?
    Yeah. The composition was burned into my brain so well I could have (badly) sketched it. I think Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights video turned the dress white in my memory.
  • Options
    Perfect topic for me to respond to. I've spent the last 16 months reading Spider-Man. I've read Amazing 1-252, Spectacular 1-90, and Team-Up 1-110. As of next week I'll have completed all three up through Secret Wars. I'm a huge fan of Amazing, Spectacular is good, and I really dislike Team-Up.

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, still a few years to go though before I'm caught up and can buy monthly.
  • Options
    Perfect topic for me to respond to. I've spent the last 16 months reading Spider-Man. I've read Amazing 1-252, Spectacular 1-90, and Team-Up 1-110. As of next week I'll have completed all three up through Secret Wars. I'm a huge fan of Amazing, Spectacular is good, and I really dislike Team-Up.

I'm a huge Spider-Man fan, still a few years to go though before I'm caught up and can buy monthly.
    curious what you dislike about MTU? I've been working on a MTU run for a few years and haven't revisited it yet, but loved it as a kid.
  • Options

curious what you dislike about MTU? I've been working on a MTU run for a few years and haven't revisited it yet, but loved it as a kid.
    Ditto. Those Byrne Team-UP issues are some of my favourites of all time!

Got to admit that is a HUGE undertaking. That is a LOT of Spidey. I was never a huge fan of Ditko artwork, but having recently read the first couple of volumes in Essentials... I'm a convert. His artwork has really grown on me. Next up is Ditko Dr. Strange!
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

Team Up was a VERY Bad book for most of it's run. I remember that I had a comic reading friend in the 70's who called it "Marvel Throw Up".
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105

I was never a huge fan of Ditko artwork, but having recently read the first couple of volumes in Essentials... I'm a convert. His artwork has really grown on me. Next up is Ditko Dr. Strange!
    Back when I was spending most of my disposable income on comics (late 80s, early 90s), I was big into ASM and loved Ditko.

I did a similar turnaround as you, though, but with Kirby. I couldn't stand his stuff when I was younger, but reading some Thor masterworks recently turned my opinion around.
  • Options

Ditto. Those Byrne Team-UP issues are some of my favourites of all time!

Got to admit that is a HUGE undertaking. That is a LOT of Spidey. I was never a huge fan of Ditko artwork, but having recently read the first couple of volumes in Essentials... I'm a convert. His artwork has really grown on me. Next up is Ditko Dr. Strange!

The Ditko Dr Strange run is amazing. One of the best comics of Marvel's Silver age era. I would say it is better than the much acclaimed Kirby/Lee run on FF.
  • Options

I'm just not a huge fan of it. There are a few interesting stories in it, but for the most part there's a lot of really lame team-ups. There are a ton of bad characters Spidey teams up with, and worse villains. The plots are for the most part laughably bad. I know the 70s doesn't always have the best storytelling, but I'll take Amazing and Spectacular and their semi-running storylines over MTU any day.

I will say that for the most part the art is pretty good. The stories are what really kill it for me, even the ones written by the writers whose names I know (I'm not a huge comic fan, mainly just this Spidey and some other stuff, so I don't know a whole lot of creators' names)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

The Ditko Dr Strange run is amazing. One of the best comics of Marvel's Silver age era. I would say it is better than the much acclaimed Kirby/Lee run on FF.
    Dem's ALMOST fightin' words...

Dr. Strange under Ditko was an amazing run, simply because after Ditko and Stan figured out what to do with the series, it became a long-running serial that spun higher and higher as it went on. Ditko's pacing was dead on, and Stan was able to add to the drama by keeping the normal Marvel smart-ass-ery away from his scripting.

The downside was that the run was SO personal on Ditko's end that I don't think the book recovered from him leaving until Steve Englehart took over the series in the early 70's.

Still, the FF is better because....well, Kirby and Sinnott. ^_^

• Options

I did a similar turnaround as you, though, but with Kirby. I couldn't stand his stuff when I was younger, but reading some Thor masterworks recently turned my opinion around.
    I also did the same thing with Kirby!
    Years ago I was all; "That old stuff is crap. It looks so... OLD!" But the more time I spent with it, the more I appreciated it. Now I am constantly amazed at how much I love Kirby's stuff (and my daughter does too. She loves the full pagers in the FF essentials). Although I've got to admit, Kirby's women are a little too "masculine" for my tastes. Except for Big Barda - Hubba Hubba!
  • Options

I'm just not a huge fan of it. There are a few interesting stories in it, but for the most part there's a lot of really lame team-ups. There are a ton of bad characters Spidey teams up with, and worse villains. The plots are for the most part laughably bad. I know the 70s doesn't always have the best storytelling, but I'll take Amazing and Spectacular and their semi-running storylines over MTU any day.

I will say that for the most part the art is pretty good. The stories are what really kill it for me, even the ones written by the writers whose names I know (I'm not a huge comic fan, mainly just this Spidey and some other stuff, so I don't know a whole lot of creators' names)
    I will have to respectfully disagree. With Marvel I find the storytelling in the 70s to be better than most of the 60's stuff. Really the only 60's Marvel stuff I can go back and read now is Ditko/Lee's run on Dr Strange and the first 100 issues or so of Amazing Spider-man. When I was younger I really enjoyed the Kirby/Lee stuff on FF. But now I just can't get into it. I enjoy Kirby's artwork but the actually stories just don't work for me.
  • Options

Dem's ALMOST fightin' words...

Dr. Strange under Ditko was an amazing run, simply because after Ditko and Stan figured out what to do with the series, it became a long-running serial that spun higher and higher as it went on. Ditko's pacing was dead on, and Stan was able to add to the drama by keeping the normal Marvel smart-ass-ery away from his scripting.

The downside was that the run was SO personal on Ditko's end that I don't think the book recovered from him leaving until Steve Englehart took over the series in the early 70's.

Still, the FF is better because....well, Kirby and Sinnott. ^_^

I will agree that after Ditko left Dr Strange the title floundered until Steve Englehart took over. And I do like Kirby's artwork on FF ,but the stories are what I don't care for. For every issue from that run I enjoy there is 10 more than I find it a chore to read.
  • Options
    @WetRats I just browsed thru some of the Classics Illustrated and didnt see any, but I'll keep looking thru them! :-bd

@John_Steed thanks for the awesoming!

@Chrisgrendel if HOS 92 was on my list it would cost about as much as I've spent on all the other books combined! Its of the right era (70s) and in a horror title (HOS), AND by one of the artists who does a few Gothic Horror covers (Bernie Wrightson). But I excluded this one for now because a) she's not in white b) the woman is not on the run (or at least in distress) and c) there's no architectural feature in it (usually a staircase, a mansion, a house, etc). The last two conditions are common motifs of the "Gothic horror" genre It's on the loooong term list, but for the short term I have other targets...

Here are some of the remaining ones...House of Secrets 88, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 106, Unexpected 127 & 178, Secrets of Sinister House #5, Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion #5, Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love #4

Almost all of the titles are DC, but there's one sweet Marvel: Night Nurse #4
    ...hard to find, especially in high grade. And there were only 4 issues in the title run...

I love that the Night Nurse issue is PGX graded. Are PGX even still around ?