Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Silver and Bronze Age Thread

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    @miraclemet
    I don't suppose you count this featuring Adrienne's Barbeaus (sic)

I love that cover. Have it hanging on my wall right now. Too bad the story isn't as good as the cover.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    @miraclemet
    I don't suppose you count this featuring Adrienne's Barbeaus (sic)

I love that cover. Have it hanging on my wall right now. Too bad the story isn't as good as the cover.
    Is it just me or does it look like she's working on letting her Barbeaus run free?

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Swampy isn't being why there is he? But then again neither is she!
    Are they running from The Fog?

I need that Wally wood book also! Damn that is cool!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Swampy isn't being why there is he?
    OK, this time I'm not just mocking your spellchecker, I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say there.

(although I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was your spellchecker again)
  • Options
    peedmyselfpeedmyself Posts: 105
    @Miraclemet Sweet idea for a set. I thought I might have a pulp mag that you could add to your list, but unfortunately this is as close as I could get!

• Options
    Swampy isn't being why there is he?
    OK, this time I'm not just mocking your spellchecker, I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say there.

(although I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was your spellchecker again)
    Shy
    Dammit
    Shy not why

I weep
  • Options
    @Miraclemet Sweet idea for a set. I thought I might have a pulp mag that you could add to your list, but unfortunately this is as close as I could get!

That is soooo cool
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247

That is soooo cool
    Yeah. Absolutely love covers like this.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    My local shop put a new collection of bronze age stuff out recently, at very nice prices so I bought a bunch of books including:

Tarzan 207 - In preparation for IDW's Joe Kubert Artist Edition I thought I'd get the first issue to compare them when the time comes. I didn't even know there was a John Carter of Mars backup story in the book.

Superman 247 - The classic 'Must there be a Superman?' story.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Got this today. First John Byrne art!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    THAT is Fricking AWESOME. Is Byrne given credit?
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

I loved that cartoon.

• Options

I have been trying to find that for decades! You lucky dawg!
  • Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    I've been doing something similar but using the paperback Masterworks. If you want to get as anal retentive as I've been...
    I'm doing the same thing, starting with Silver Age Marvel thanks to the Complete Marvel Reading Order: http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/
  • Options

THAT is Fricking AWESOME. Is Byrne given credit?
    There's this interior text + illustration piece with his credit. Nothing on the main stories, but I think that was typical for Charlton then on licensed stuff like this.

wheelieInterior

• Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    Excellent. I loved Charlton... they had some great stuff. Their Phantom title was GREAT. I remember buying some of those off the spinner rack in high school. VERY well written.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I just finished this today:

It starts off a little rocky, but has 2 or 3 stories that are just classic. Better back story on the Wonder Twins too. They feature heavily in this.

Got it from TFAW for like $1 during one of their crazy sales. If you ever see it really cheap, check it out.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Nice! Those are really hard to find, too (that good ol' "just barely above one-ply toilet paper" stock that Charlton used sure doesn't make their books very survivable).
  • Options

Nice! Those are really hard to find, too (that good ol' "just barely above one-ply toilet paper" stock that Charlton used sure doesn't make their books very survivable).
    We have a local monthly auction a few miles from my house.Normally the stuff up for auction looks like stuff the seller found by digging in someone's trash can. But over the past 4 years some comics have shown up for sale. And every time there is always a few issues of the various horror titles Charlton put out. Best thing is since almost everyone there is older retired rural people no one besides me bids on the comics. Last time I got a stack of about 100 random comics for 4 bucks.

• Options

We have a local monthly auction a few miles from my house.Normally the stuff up for auction looks like stuff the seller found by digging in someone's trash can. But over the past 4 years some comics have shown up for sale. And every time there is always a few issues of the various horror titles Charlton put out. Best thing is since almost everyone there is older retired rural people no one besides me bids on the comics. Last time I got a stack of about 100 random
    comics for 4 bucks.

Nice! Anything really good?

Charlton horror Would be cool. Especially at that price.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

It starts off a little rocky, but has 2 or 3 stories that are just classic. Better back story on the Wonder Twins too. They feature heavily in this.

Got it from TFAW for like $1 during one of their crazy sales. If you ever see it really cheap, check it out.
    The Toth stuff is just beautiful to look at. Haven't read it in YEARS, so I'm wondering if the stories are better than I remember.

• Options

We have a local monthly auction a few miles from my house.Normally the stuff up for auction looks like stuff the seller found by digging in someone's trash can. But over the past 4 years some comics have shown up for sale. And every time there is always a few issues of the various horror titles Charlton put out. Best thing is since almost everyone there is older retired rural people no one besides me bids on the comics. Last time I got a stack of about 100 random
    comics for 4 bucks.

Nice! Anything really good?

Charlton horror Would be cool. Especially at that price.

Most of what I got that time was mid 90s marvel drek. But there was a near mint copy of that issue of spectacular spiderman that is the first time Frank Miller drew Daredevil. One of the Charlton horror comics had some Steve Ditko artwork so that alone made it worth the 4 bucks to me.

• Options

The Toth stuff is just beautiful to look at. Haven't read it in YEARS, so I'm wondering if the stories are better than I remember.

Toth did the designs, but the artwork in most of this is Ramona Fradon.
  • Options
    Picked up an old Marvel Treasury Edition of Dr. Strange stories this weekend... a real hodge podge of material in there covering various artists' tenures on the feature and basically being "Hey, remember when the Doc first met *this* cosmic-level entity?" But still, seeing Colan and especially Ditko artwork blown up to that tabloid size is a real treat.
  • Options
    Picked up an old Marvel Treasury Edition of Dr. Strange stories this weekend... a real hodge podge of material in there covering various artists' tenures on the feature and basically being "Hey, remember when the Doc first met *this* cosmic-level entity?" But still, seeing Colan and especially Ditko artwork blown up to that tabloid size is a real treat.
    I need to track down a copy of that. How much Ditko artwork is in it?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Not a lot, @dubbat138. You get the Dormamu vs. Eternity fight and the origin of Baron Mordo, but that's it for Ditko. Some Ditko-esque work from Bill Everett and Marie Severin is in there, too, but after that, it gets into Colan, Dan Adkins, and other more 70s-style Strange artwork. Most of the stuff is pretty good, but I would've liked more Ditko.
  • Options
    Not a lot, @dubbat138. You get the Dormamu vs. Eternity fight and the origin of Baron Mordo, but that's it for Ditko. Some Ditko-esque work from Bill Everett and Marie Severin is in there, too, but after that, it gets into Colan, Dan Adkins, and other more 70s-style Strange artwork.
    I will still have to track down a copy. Any Ditko art is good. And with it being oversized that makes it even better.

• Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553

I will still have to track down a copy. Any Ditko art is good. And with it being oversized that makes it even better.
    I wish I still owned all the Treasury Editions I had as a kid! I only have a couple left now (and not the Dr. Strange one...)

• Options
    BetaRayBenBetaRayBen Posts: 50
    Currently, I'm only reading old stuff. I'm in the process of reading Amazing Spider-Man from the beginning, using Essential and Marvel Masterwork collections, whatever I can get from the library.

I'm up to issue 47, where Gwen throws a big party for Flash in honor of his getting drafted. The highlight is a dance-off between Gwen and Mary Jane! But who will pass out the burgers?!? Oh yeah, and some guy named Kraven shows up and shuts the whole thing down, just as we were headed for a catfight. Laaaaame-o. You spend too much time wrestling wild beasts. C'mon. Relax. Have some punch. You're going to magnetize Spidey's muscular electrolytes with WHAT? Your nipples?!? Are you sure that's gonna work? Have you tested it? Sounds dubious, "Kraven" ...
  • Options
    Finished this book this morning:

Some really awesome DeCarlo art in here. Moves from the late 50's all the way to 71, so you can see the writing and fashions evolve. One of the things I love about classic Archie is that it was pretty focused on fashion and what was trendy in clothes and lingo.

Plus DeCarlo art. Did I mention that? Awesome.