Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kirkman's other stuff - Super Dinosaur / Invincible

Anyone reading Robert Kirkman's other works besides the Walking Dead?

I bought the Super Dinosaur Vol 1 during Comixology's sale last week and my 10 yr old son and I loved it!

And I downloaded/read Invincible #1 (free) and thought it was pretty good. Is it worth reading more of?

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I read Invincible in HC format & I enjoy it just not as much as Walking Dead. If I had to do a comparison Invincible is a 3.7 (out of 5) & Walking Dead is a 4.7 (out of 5) rating. As for Super Dinosaur, I have no interest in reading it.

Matthew
  • Options
    DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    I buy Invincible in HC and Super Dinosaur in single issues. I like them that much.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I really liked reading Invincible in trade paperback until it seemed like each book was just another string of scenes that existed to kill time until the next scene where some guy gets his body torn apart and jaw punched off of his skull. I liked the teen superhero coming of age story, but that kept taking the backseat to all of the ultraviolence that didn't even really serve the plot and was, I thought, a complete switch in tone from the rest of the book. It got tiresome and it put me off of Kirkman on the whole.
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    i could never get into super dinosaur, but I gave the first 4 issues I had to a friend for her son and he loves them. invincible I've read the first 2 trades, need to catch up and it's next on my list since I just caught up on american vampire (amazing btw)
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I've got Super Dinosaur vol 1, but I haven't read it. I have been reading the Astonishing Wolfman trades; I really like that book.
  • Options
    Got the Ulitmate Hardcovers through vol. 5 then went digital.

A tad bit gore, but the level of emotional drama and real worldism in a cape book is refreshing.. Far and above any what I see in the Big 2.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I have a Invincible singles I bought in bulk for cheap. I need to get on those.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I enjoyed the first trade of Invincible, though it didn't seem like anything special. I hear it gets much stronger as it goes along, so it is one of those series I plan on getting back to someday.

I got the first trade of Astounding Wolfman and was very disappointed. I came to the book hoping for another long form horror story a la Walking Dead (and, to be fair, I don't know that is what was promised, that may have just been the expectation I brought to it) and what I got felt like Werewolf Batman. It was so derivative of Batman and the general superhero origin story, from what I remember, that I briefly wondered if it was supposed to be a parody. Or a satire on superheroes. But, no, I think it was just supposed to be cool because it was Werewolf Batman. That is one I definitely will not be getting back to someday.

I was excited for Thief of Thieves (a book that barely fits the category of Kirkman books, but I digress) but I thought the first issue was a let down. Not bad, but also just too slick and conventional. Again, it may be me bringing in my own expectations or high hopes, but I wanted was something like Criminal or Parker, and what I got felt like a pitch for a USA Network show. Oh well.

Walking Dead, though, continues to be excellent. One of the rare books I don't pre-order so I can buy it off the rack and read it the day it comes out.

So I will continue to try things with Kirkman's name on it, hoping that there is another series that grabs me like that one.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I'm actually not a walking dead fan but I think invincible is probably the best straight up superhero book on the stands right now.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    And it's over. (the sale, that is).