Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Eeeeeeeewwwwww! [Spoilers]

124»

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    I'm with you @WetRats. I like the farmboy sincerity as his genuine face.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

I'm with you @WetRats. I like the farmboy sincerity as his genuine face.

Yep. The other approach makes him an inherently deceptive character, which compromises his heroism.

• Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    edited August 2012
    @WetRats I dig the farmboy because I was one of the 10 people that watched Smallville for ten years. I LIKE the flawed, yet humble, Clark AS Superman, versus the opposite idea.

Also, having read JL #12, I almost vomited by the recockulous amount of inkers. I'm not huge on Lee's art, but jeez, he NEEDS Scott Williams.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @JCB I agree that was a pretty long list of inkers, and even interior artists (though to my, albeit not very trained eye, it all looked pretty consistent throughout). But I see that as part of the cost of keeping the issues coming out on time.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This talk of Wondy and Supes has me interested in both characters again. (Tried the new 52 stuff with said characters, but dropped them quick enough)
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    David_D said:

@JCB I agree that was a pretty long list of inkers, and even interior artists (though to my, albeit not very trained eye, it all looked pretty consistent throughout). But I see that as part of the cost of keeping the issues coming out on time.

Maybe it's the years I spent in middle school swiping Lee art, but I can always tell when Williams isn't inking him. There are some pages where the art doesn't even look like it's drawn by Lee. haha
  • Options
    That many inkers on one penciller is a pretty big indication that the artwork was turned in late, or at least later than anticipated, and the art had to be divided among several inkers in order to get the work finished and ready for production in a hurry.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

Wow. I literally lol'd at how much you dislike him. Never heard anyone say that about him. Liefeld, yes. Lee, no.

Different strokes.

People love Howard Chaykin, but I can barely tolerate his art.

And I'm no fan of Kirby's art, either.
    Be careful with that Kirby comment. I have a revelation coming up in an ep about something I despise and I do not think the guys shared my opinion on this "beloved" show!
    dubbat138 said:

Planeis said:

Wow. I literally lol'd at how much you dislike him. Never heard anyone say that about him. Liefeld, yes. Lee, no.

Among fans who value storytelling, Lee has pretty much always been disliked, and on a number of discussion groups populated by people who study the art form, he's used as an example of WHY comics are hard to read and how the art of storytelling went away in the 90's.

He's an illustrator, not a storyteller, and I don't care for his illustrations. You want an example of why I dislike him, look at his Batman and Superman covers when he did his 12 issue runs...he drew Superman and Batman almost exactly the same, same facial features, same pose, and only the background and costume were different.

Boy, do I remember those. I bought the entire 12-issue Hush storyline and was greatly disappointed by it, both story and art. I didn't even bother with the Superman story.
    Hush was horrible. I got it cause of the great review the CGS crew gave it. Read it once and then earlier this year sold the two trades to someone on this forum for the price of shipping. The story read like badly written fan-fic and the artwork looks like Jim Lee was drawing a bunch of pin ups or posters.

I'm wondering if I was one of the people on that Hush review? Although there were somethings I really liked (the JT cameo, the best Superman/Batman fight to date) it started off really slow, a predictable villain, and the "twist" ending. The ending bothers me the most because there is NO way anyone could have figured the hook out. That always pisses me off.

I did get the Absolute Edition, but I don't think this storyline comes close to cracking my Top Ten Batman stories of All Time.

M

You might have been. I want to say it was Deemer and he who shall not be named that really hyped it up. Like it was the best Batman story ever.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited September 2012
    @WetRats Right! I love WW being taller than Supes. I don't understand what she isn't drawn that way all the time.
  • Options
    I agree that the current Superman is NOT one that I like much. Morrison's Superman is solid, and I like that he tried on a new identity to see what would work best for him before learning that There Had To Be A Clark Kent...Johns's current Superman is completely unlikable, and I wonder why he's made him that way...

Of course, my favorite version of Superman is the one from All Star, a being who is all wish fulfillment, yet still capable of showing true love and caring to the people in his life.
  • Options
    I've come to accept the nU as an ongoing elseworlds. If the story is written well, I'm down. Would love to see it last for a while and see where it goes rather than be a little fling for a few issues.

But since I have hated the way every characterization has been done in Justice League I can't imagine this will be good. The behaviors/mannerisms/characterizations are so exaggerated and self parodying I can see this being incredibly cheesy.
  • Options
    Also, I'd love to see Superman show in in the current BA written Wonder Woman. I think it would be interesting to see Wonder Woman have to save his ass if he got in a bit of trouble in that world.